Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Mike,

Here is a shot of your Sandy Hook fox.

One day we watched as a red fox sat quietly off to the side waiting for scraps to be tossed from folks using the picnic tables. Also photographed that event.

Island beach also had a bold fox population. They run through neighborhoods picking up food scraps left out for pets.

NJ is a study in wildlife adaptability.
I'm always amazed with the wildlife in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
It seems 2 hours isn't long enough to see the river. I'd like to have had all day to explore the river and what's along the banks. My ex-fiancee used to live in Cranford and we found the Canoe Club by accident---had nothing to do--were bored so we took out a canoe. It was one of the best "by accident" things I've done.
It would be cool to kayak here, but I don't think that's possible, although I think every once in awhile, when the town holds its River Carnival, they do allow boats here...

Again, another footbridge, smaller but similar to the foot bridge I posted earlier....

Cranford's Nomahegan Park, close to Union County College.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM

The day I took a canoe out on the river, the river seemed awfully low. There were some young kids (early teens) swimming and the river was about waist deep on them.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The day I took a canoe out on the river, the river seemed awfully low. There were some young kids (early teens) swimming and the river was about waist deep on them.
Can you believe it, a hundred or so years ago people used to drink from it, not just swim in it. Saw some pics from a book depicting images from the olden years.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
Can you believe it, a hundred or so years ago people used to drink from it, not just swim in it. Saw some pics from a book depicting images from the olden years.
The river was clean that day. I don't know if I'd drink from it but it puts the river here to shame. Every year there's a riverfest here to clean up the river and there always seems to be more trash (tires, washers, dryers, etc.) than the year before.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
The river was clean that day. I don't know if I'd drink from it but it puts the river here to shame. Every year there's a riverfest here to clean up the river and there always seems to be more trash (tires, washers, dryers, etc.) than the year before.
There's also an annual river cleanup here. My kid just went to one last Saturday. LOTS of kids participated. Good fun, and it hopefully teaches them not to mess up the environment around them

Washers and dryers???? Wow....this is also the rahway river?

Last edited by kalim2008; 04-22-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 AM

101 posts, read 460,447 times
Quote:
I got the impression not many people knew of the canoe club. I really enjoyed it and found that section of the river to be really scenic. The rental price was not bad at all. It's got to be 10 years since I was there but definitely would go back if I got the chance.
add me to the list, thanks for posting, I'm in Springfield, and had no idea about the canoe club...

Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
There's also an annual river cleanup here. My kid just went to one last Saturday. LOTS of kids participated. Good fun, and it hopefully teaches them not to mess up the environment around them

Washers and dryers???? Wow....this is also the rahway river?
Kalim, The washers and dryers were found along the Lackawanna River here in Scranton.

NJPlay, It was a lot of fun and wasn't very expensive.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Default River Rapture

The setting sun behind me as I stood in one of the innumerable footbridges in Cranford created a pleasing optical effect in the distance above the placid waters of the Cranford River (aka Rahway River )

Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 PM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Wow, Kalim, those are BEAUTIFUL pictures of Cranford. I've wanted to visit the town for a while now, and now I do even more, after seeing your pictures. I love how nice the downtown looks, and those Cherry Blossoms look amazing at the bridge...a true postcard picture. Thanks for sharing!

Kracer - I love the picture of the fox! Very pretty. What kind of camera did you use to shoot that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey