Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,500,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
What exactly does a mugger look like. I’m not quite sure if I have seen any? You say they are mostly native to NJ and do not exist in VA. Why is that? Does VA not have the correct vegetation conducive to supporting healthy muggers?
A mugger is a fat slob who can't walk well. Some look like skeletons. They can be any race. Some people who don't have the mugger looks are regular people trying trick you. I'm sick of having to see these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,500,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Norfolk and Richmond (VA) have plenty of that ghetto element. I don't think VA is a bad state (family in Suffolk), but its cities definitely aren't a big draw IMO. VA certainly isn't as dense, and has more of the open space you said you like.

PS: you only didn't see a mugger because in order to see a live mugger you'd have to actually witness a mugging.
I stayed at a hotel at Alexandria, which is right outside the ghetto city of D.C. I haven't seen one mugger or one panhandler in Alexandria. It was a peaceful place and we could walk around the place, see the cool shops, restaurants, and bars without having to be bothered by the toxic inner city people you get in NJ.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:19 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,243,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
A mugger is a fat slob who can't walk well. Some look like skeletons. They can be any race. Some people who don't have the mugger looks are regular people trying trick you.
When was the last time you heard of an Asian mugger? You have totally been indoctrinated into the political correctness culture.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:11 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,095,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So then you agree that your point that somehow the poor labor class is critical is not true.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The rich need workers for their businesses. There is no way around that and it cannot be spun. The middle and poor classes make up the bulk of the workforce (as we've already agreed). The poor class is faaaar closer to the middle class in terms of income than it is the 1%.

And you are nuts if human civilization can live without food, clothing and shelter. There will be no civilization without those things.

No, the human race indeed cannot live without food, clothing, and shelter...but that's not quite what you said originally (computers and cars are things we would have to buy from a business). If we're being technical, no one has to rely on the rich for shelter, clothing, and food. We can do exactly what my grandparents did and sew our own clothes, grow our own food, and build our own dwellings.

Yes, you can say the average person wouldn't live like that...and you'd be right. But the rich won't suddenly stop running companies and producing for consumption either.

And I am answering that question by explaining the reason for that, i.e. the residents living there made it that way.

Fair enough, though I don't completely agree.

Let’s see...all across the country we have black governors, black mayors, black senators, black representatives, black councilmans, we even had a black president. In the past, the apologists said there wasn’t black leaders. Okay fine. You got your leaders now. Nothing's changed. Then it was because there are not enough black representatives in the media. Fine. Now there are black TV anchors everywhere, black stars, black producers, blacks in every facet. Nothing’s changed. Recently, it was statues’ fault. Then cities and towns across the country removed the statues. Of course nothing’s changed. Society just keeps on bowing down to the black’s demands but yet the ghetto will still be ghetto and decades and decades from now nothing will change.

It’s time for some folks to stop blaming everything and everyone else except themselves. If you are defending it, then you are only going to continue it.

I'm trying to believe that you're separating the ghetto element but every example you've named is more about black people as a whole. Black president and tv anchors? Sure, and a great many of them aren't from those areas. With that said, for some reason you keep thinking I'm making excuses for them (as much as I stated the contrary), when I'm actually pointing out a reality you aim to ignore.
See above in RED

Last edited by 66nexus; 03-05-2018 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: add'l info

Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
True, but N 15th St, East Orange (location where Tony takes AJ) remains pretty much a hell hole.
No argument from me there.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:18 AM

31,959 posts, read 27,083,716 times
Quote:
When was the last time you heard of an Asian mugger? You have totally been indoctrinated into the political correctness culture.

Jacking people on the street is for low lives who can't run any other game. Smart criminals (of which yes, there are Asians) find other less violent and public ways to get their money. There are no end of "white collar" and so forth scams, schemes and so forth that will net you *far* more money than mugging a random person on street.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 AM

31,959 posts, read 27,083,716 times
Bringing this back on home....

Only way any of these areas are going to change is if someone or some entity stands up to the natives and says in essence "grumble all you like, this is how it is going to be....".

Buy up, take by eminent domain or whatever large areas and sell them up for redevelopment. You can reserve a portion for "affordable" or whatever housing, but every single GD person/household needs to be vetted. This includes having a job to go to every day and not sitting around collecting checks (and having children they can't afford).

Many of these former great NJ urban areas (Newark, East Orange, Patterson, etc.....) have great bones. With the *RIGHT* sort of leadership and plan they all could become better than they are if not great.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I stayed at a hotel at Alexandria, which is right outside the ghetto city of D.C. I haven't seen one mugger or one panhandler in Alexandria. It was a peaceful place and we could walk around the place, see the cool shops, restaurants, and bars without having to be bothered by the toxic inner city people you get in NJ.
I've been to Alexandria and it actually is nice. But do you think it's fair to compare Alexandria to bad areas in NJ? I could easily compare VA's bad areas to NJ's better areas (or NJ's better off cities: Richmond to Jersey City or Red Bank to Portsmouth) and make the same argument as you. If you like VA then you like VA, but your reasons seem like your setting yourself up for disapppointment. I haven't seen much, if any, panhanders on JC's waterfront but I'm not down there everyday.

Panhandling is one thing. But a mugger is someone committing an act (pretty much the act of mugging someone). So it draws confusion when you say you haven't seen 'one mugger'. It's like saying you didn't witness a mugging.

------

PS D.C. definitely has ghetto in it but there are some super affluent/nice areas in that city and its vast center is being redeveloped. No offense to VA, but I can't think of one major city within it that comes close to being as upscale.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
So now there haven't been Asian muggers. Who knew...

Last edited by 66nexus; 03-05-2018 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,243,106 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The rich need workers for their businesses. There is no way around that and it cannot be spun. The middle and poor classes make up the bulk of the workforce (as we've already agreed). The poor class is faaaar closer to the middle class in terms of income than it is the 1%.
And the poor workers depend on the businesses the rich own to make money and live on. What’s your point?

Quote:
No, the human race indeed cannot live without food, clothing, and shelter...but that's not quite what you said originally (computers and cars are things we would have to buy from a business). If we're being technical, no one has to rely on the rich for shelter, clothing, and food. We can do exactly what my grandparents did and sew our own clothes, grow our own food, and build our own dwellings.

Yes, you can say the average person wouldn't live like that...and you'd be right. But the rich won't suddenly stop running companies and producing for consumption either.
I see that totally went right over your head. The point is that there will never be a point in time where people will stop needing things and stop buying things. You said the rich need the working class to buy their things. I am saying that the rich won’t ever have to worry about the working class not buying their things. They have to buy their things.

Quote:
I'm trying to believe that you're separating the ghetto element but every example you've named is more about black people as a whole. Black president and tv anchors? Sure, and a great many of them aren't from those areas. With that said, for some reason you keep thinking I'm making excuses for them (as much as I stated the contrary), when I'm actually pointing out a reality you aim to ignore.
It’s not my fault you read into things the way you want to. All this time we have been discussing the ghettos. Why would I be including successful non-ghetto blacks when they are not contributing to the ghetto being bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey