Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times

Advertisements

I know that I am personally trying to keep the OP from dieing at a young age in Newark.
Look elsewhere...

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
I know that I am personally trying to keep the OP from dieing at a young age in Newark.
Look elsewhere...
How...mature

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
How...mature
I agree with the original comment, your life expectancy is lower in a crime ridden city like newark. Why would anyone chose to live there if they are able to choose not to live there? There are no amenities in Newark that can't be found in much nicer locations

Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
I agree with the original comment, your life expectancy is lower in a crime ridden city like newark. Why would anyone chose to live there if they are able to choose not to live there? There are no amenities in Newark that can't be found in much nicer locations
he/she didn't say: you're life expectancy is lower...and such

'dying from a young age'....gimme a break.

And, I already know you don't understand it, but there are actually people that like to live there. The burbs and such just ain't for everybody, we'd have no cities anywhere if such was the case.

Last edited by 66nexus; 03-25-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel79 View Post
Listen, I've lived in the Down Neck (Ironbound) section of Newark for about 25 years and all I can say is Newark has never been safer. You can look up the facts yourself if you'd like. You must take into account that the city is very large, therefore, it will naturally have good areas and bad areas. Just like NYC, Philly or any other major city. Down Neck is a safe, tightknit community with great shops and even better restaurants. There is also a great nightlife with several upscale lounges and bars that have opened. The downtown area is safer than it's been since the 50's and it is surrounded by a plethora of businesses, large and small. Then you have the NJPAC, Devils' Prudential Center, Bears Stadium, The Newark Museum, The Newark Library, etc. Penn station is about 2 minutes away from anywhere Down Neck or Downtown. You also have easy access to several major highways like 21, 280, 78, GSP, NJTP, 1&9. Newark is safer and better than the news would like you to believe. Funny how when things were really bad here, no one, not even the news paid attention to us. But now that things are better, they decide to televise ANY and EVERY negative incident that occurs in Newark. The crime rate has dropped significantly yet for some reason I see Newark on the news more than ever before. Politics as usual. Anyways, I live here and there's no way I'm leaving any time soon. The city has more to offer than it ever has in my lifetime and it's only getting better. The ignorant critics will continue to repeat themselves because, well, they must have nothing better to do with their time. If they lived in Newark, they surely would.
That's because the going mentality is: how dare Newark try to get better.

No one wants to hear of any successes in Newark (fact). They'll slap you down if show the least bit of optimism (fact). Most who do it, don't live there, would never consider living there (fact)...but...for them, not living there isn't good enough. Soooo, what you'll get is this:

-I'd never live in Newark. (okay fine)
-I'd never live in Newark (yeah...heard you the 1st time)
-I'd never live in Newark (okay...we got it. You hate the place)
-I'd never live in Newark (-sigh-)
-It's getting worse all the time. How do I know? Because I know a guy who has a friend that has a dog that he bought from a lady who owned a store before selling it to a guy that lives in Newark. (the birth of a Newark expert)

You'd figure that someone who hates something would understand that he/she hates, and moves right along. Nope, not with the Newark hater.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
he/she didn't say: you're life expectancy is lower...and such

'dying from a young age'....gimme a break.

And, I already know you don't understand it, but there are actually people that like to live there. The burbs and such just ain't for everybody, we'd have no cities anywhere if such was the case.
I am sure that you like living there, but many urban dwellers tend to gloss over the many issues that come with living in newark, and like I said there are so many better choices, for urban living I would choose almost anything in Hudson county (excepting some of JC) before I'd ever live in Newark. Unfortunately in NJ almost all the urban areas are decaying ghettos, in other places the urban areas are much more livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey