Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
running around newark is just a bad idea, the streets are not safe the parks are unsafe, just about everywhere in newark is not safe.
Moderator cut: no personal attacks No city and it's surroundings are 100% bad. He's a notorious Newark hater.

Last edited by tahiti; 03-25-2008 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Dismiss all advice from this nut. No city and it's surroundings are 100% bad. He's a notorious Newark hater.
I hate high crime areas...
AVOID Newark!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I'm sure the downtown area is safe. .
and this conclusion is based on what?
we all know you are a young immature idealist who loves dumpy urban places. Those of us who have a bit more experience, have families to be concerned about know better than to even consider an urban jungle as a place to live and raise a family. Enjoy yourself, and one day when you grow up a bit, have a family, have more responsibility placed on you you'll see the light

Old 03-25-2008, 05:01 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Dismiss all advice from this nut. No city and it's surroundings are 100% bad. He's a notorious Newark hater.
amazingly newark is just about 100% bad, there are so many better alternatives than newark

Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 AM

316 posts, read 1,248,853 times
Default Its safe here

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
You might want to give up your dream of running.

25 minutes from UMDNJ in Newark leaves you a lot of choices, because UMDNJ is 5 minutes from most of our main highways. You can live in Edison (25 minutes from Newark) Cranford (20 minutes) Avenel (25 minutes), Livingston (15-20 minutes), I mean the choice is really yours. Hoboken is also a good choice, but you might get stuck in a lot of the traffic coming from the city and going into the city. 280 can be a nightmare both ways. You can probably run in west orange, they have a nice park on the west orange/south orange border, and again that's only 15-20 minutes from UMDNJ.

Good luck. They're laying off heavily, so hopefully you'll still have a job in 4 months @ the beginning of their new fiscal year.
I live in Avenel I would agree People run here at night and in Park.
Our High School (Colonia High school) Putting in new Track.
Its safe here and its a quick ride up rt1 to newark

Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 AM

68 posts, read 194,969 times
Newark is not a bad place to work in but I would not consider moving there. Besides, as a runner, running in a city is no fun...all that stopping and starting with the lights and traffic. Also, there are no safe parks to run in. Consider nearby towns such as Bloomfield, South Orange, Montclair.... Good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,668,815 times
Quote:
I'm sure the downtown area is safe. After all, if the downtown began to receive a nefarious reputation for violent crime, then the NJPAC, Riverfront Stadium, Prudential Center, etc. would wither up and fail.
Unfortunately, apvbguy's right. Those points are swarmed with police coverage on the nights of events, and thats all there is to it. Its not a good place to run at night. The Ironbound section is safer, but I still wouldn't call it safe during a late night run.

I'd follow the recommendations of the others and look to some of the better areas surrounding Newark - there is a decent amount of public transportation available, and you'll be able to better enjoy your hobby.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,802 times
Quote:
I'm sure the downtown area is safe.
yeah okay. you run downtown then.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,356 times
Listen, I've lived in the Down Neck (Ironbound) section of Newark for about 25 years and all I can say is Newark has never been safer. You can look up the facts yourself if you'd like. You must take into account that the city is very large, therefore, it will naturally have good areas and bad areas. Just like NYC, Philly or any other major city. Down Neck is a safe, tightknit community with great shops and even better restaurants. There is also a great nightlife with several upscale lounges and bars that have opened. The downtown area is safer than it's been since the 50's and it is surrounded by a plethora of businesses, large and small. Then you have the NJPAC, Devils' Prudential Center, Bears Stadium, The Newark Museum, The Newark Library, etc. Penn station is about 2 minutes away from anywhere Down Neck or Downtown. You also have easy access to several major highways like 21, 280, 78, GSP, NJTP, 1&9. Newark is safer and better than the news would like you to believe. Funny how when things were really bad here, no one, not even the news paid attention to us. But now that things are better, they decide to televise ANY and EVERY negative incident that occurs in Newark. The crime rate has dropped significantly yet for some reason I see Newark on the news more than ever before. Politics as usual. Anyways, I live here and there's no way I'm leaving any time soon. The city has more to offer than it ever has in my lifetime and it's only getting better. The ignorant critics will continue to repeat themselves because, well, they must have nothing better to do with their time. If they lived in Newark, they surely would.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Unfortunately, apvbguy's right. Those points are swarmed with police coverage on the nights of events, and thats all there is to it. Its not a good place to run at night. The Ironbound section is safer, but I still wouldn't call it safe during a late night run.

I'd follow the recommendations of the others and look to some of the better areas surrounding Newark - there is a decent amount of public transportation available, and you'll be able to better enjoy your hobby.
The ironbound section is bad too. The demographics just change a little bit that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey