Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 12,686 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be relocating back to NJ (formerly lived in Bergen cty.) this spring and would like to move to either Essex or Morris county. Since golf is very important to me, which county offers the most in regards to best public (county) courses at reasonable prices, pace of play, and the ability to walk on as a single w/out too much of a wait. Also, like to walk, so mandatory carts is a negative.

Thks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickee56 View Post
Hi,

I will be relocating back to NJ (formerly lived in Bergen cty.) this spring and would like to move to either Essex or Morris county. Since golf is very important to me, which county offers the most in regards to best public (county) courses at reasonable prices, pace of play, and the ability to walk on as a single w/out too much of a wait. Also, like to walk, so mandatory carts is a negative.

Thks
None really fit all your criteria. The better courses are always busy. As a single, you often have to wait to be grouped with 2 or 3 other people. Walking is not a problem, although some of the courses have some monster hills. Believe it or not, the course in downtown Newark isn't bad. When I absolutely cant get on ANY other course, and no friends are around to get me in their clubs, I go there and get right on...as a single no less. But I'm 6'1" and 250 lbs, so people are less likely to mess with me. lol.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM

717 posts, read 773,846 times
The problem with Morris county is how difficult it is to get tee times. Even if you have a card you better be dialing and refreshing the web page sunday night for your saturday tee times. Or you better know someone who works at the course. I had a card for several years until I realized only the insiders get the best tee times.
Since my inlaws live in Somerset county I switched to those courses. Much better and a thousand times more fair. I actually can get 630 am tee times on saturday and sunday. Courses are well kept and challenging. Their flagship is Nashanick Valley- Just awesome! Spooky, Warren and Quail-brook are very good as well. I will only play a morris county course on a rare occasion other wise I will play a non county course or go down to Somerset.
Morris County starters are CORRUPT!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM

119 posts, read 553,007 times
I can only speak to Essex County. There are currently 3 public courses. My husband is a huge golfer and we can't afford a private club. He gets a golf ID card every year from the county which entitles him to pay only about $20 for the course for 18 holes.

His opinions would be that the course in West Orange (Francis Byrne) is the most played of the 3 for the county, therefore it takes the longest to actually play and usually in pretty good condition. The course in Newark is quite good although I think it is shorter in yards. It is not usually too busy and he thinks it is usually in the best or second best condition. He thinks its better taken care of for some reason since its in Newark (like Sharpe was taking care of his buddies).
His third choice would be the one in Belleville (Hendricks) although ironically, it is probably the course he plays the most. He plays it the most because he thinks it is the easier to walk on without a tee time, the easiest to get a tee time in short notice, and usually has an alright pace of play. He complains about the courses now after playing them for 3 years, but otherwise he liked them.
He never really has a problem with getting a tee time or walking on as a single. He also always plays as a single and always walks. Never a cart and none of the courses require that. I think Francis Byrne is his favorite course to play but he hates the slow pace of play in the afternoon. He'll usually play at 6 or 6:30am to try to avoid all the people who really don't know how to play golf. It is helps his score is in the low 80s so he's a a pretty good golfer. Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
i'm not a golfer, nor do i play one on TV.....

flanders valley USED to be rated very well for being a public course. don't know what it's like now but it's worth some research.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndecost View Post
I can only speak to Essex County. There are currently 3 public courses. My husband is a huge golfer and we can't afford a private club. He gets a golf ID card every year from the county which entitles him to pay only about $20 for the course for 18 holes.

His opinions would be that the course in West Orange (Francis Byrne) is the most played of the 3 for the county, therefore it takes the longest to actually play and usually in pretty good condition. The course in Newark is quite good although I think it is shorter in yards. It is not usually too busy and he thinks it is usually in the best or second best condition. He thinks its better taken care of for some reason since its in Newark (like Sharpe was taking care of his buddies).
His third choice would be the one in Belleville (Hendricks) although ironically, it is probably the course he plays the most. He plays it the most because he thinks it is the easier to walk on without a tee time, the easiest to get a tee time in short notice, and usually has an alright pace of play. He complains about the courses now after playing them for 3 years, but otherwise he liked them.
He never really has a problem with getting a tee time or walking on as a single. He also always plays as a single and always walks. Never a cart and none of the courses require that. I think Francis Byrne is his favorite course to play but he hates the slow pace of play in the afternoon. He'll usually play at 6 or 6:30am to try to avoid all the people who really don't know how to play golf. It is helps his score is in the low 80s so he's a a pretty good golfer. Hope this helps.
Hmm. And I've always found Newark to be the easiest to get on, with Belleville second, and Byrne to be the hardest. Byrne is definitely the nicest of the three.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm not a golfer, nor do i play one on TV.....

flanders valley USED to be rated very well for being a public course. don't know what it's like now but it's worth some research.
I will never golf at Flanders! Not too long ago, woman had to wait until after 12:00 to tee off! Sexist pigs! Most woman I know golf better than most men I know. Oh and did you know that GOLF stands for..Gentleman Only Ladies Forbidden! Yes ladies, that's right! I think we should protest..change the name to LOMF! OP, you may want to check out some of the course in neighboring Warren and Sussex County if you're moving to Morris. Beautiful Courses and nowheres near as crowded as those in the East.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 PM

68 posts, read 294,191 times
The Morris County courses are very well maintained, much better than the Essex County courses. Only Berkshire Valley in Morris County has mandatory carts. Both are extremely difficult to get tee times for on the weekends, but if you can find some buddies and everyone gets online, you can usually get a time. If golf is your #1 criteria, Morris County is your best bet.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
On LBI there is a great 18 hole course that I have taken my son to.
The toughest hole is the one that winds around the miniature version of a lighthouse. We really like the 19th hole...ya know, the one that if you can get it into the cup you get a free 18 holes.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I will never golf at Flanders! Not too long ago, woman had to wait until after 12:00 to tee off! Sexist pigs! Most woman I know golf better than most men I know. Oh and did you know that GOLF stands for..Gentleman Only Ladies Forbidden! Yes ladies, that's right! I think we should protest..change the name to LOMF! OP, you may want to check out some of the course in neighboring Warren and Sussex County if you're moving to Morris. Beautiful Courses and nowheres near as crowded as those in the East.

i had no idea...now i'm pissed! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey