Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 5,758 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

My boyfriend just received a job offer from a company in East Hanover, NJ and we will need to relocate relatively soon. Ideally, we'd like to live within walking distance (~.3mi) to a NYC direct train station (I work at WTC) and within 30-40 minutes driving distance to East Hanover. I like towns with nice city centers like Maplewood or Cranford, but they seem to be out of modern 1 bed/1bath apartments :\

I'm in my 20s and he's in his early 30s so preferably somewhere quiet but not isolated. We also have 2 cats so pet-friendly is a must. Our combined income is ~$200K so we feel most comfortable with a max rent of $2400 or so inclusive of parking/pet fees. Any recommendations for managed complexes or other "commuter towns" would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:02 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,344 times
i would say Montclair, South Orange, Morristown would all be solid options where you could find something nice, in your price range, with direct NYC service. Also those towns have decent nightlife as well.

Of course, there is also Jersey city which would make your commute much easier, keep his to about 40 mins. There are areas that are quiet, have easy parking and allow you more nightlife options and walkability.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
I would suggest Montclair. I know there are some newer/modern apartments right across the street from Bay St. train station. Montclair to East Hanover is about a 20-minute drive.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,456,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminegreentea View Post
Hi all -

My boyfriend just received a job offer from a company in East Hanover, NJ and we will need to relocate relatively soon. Ideally, we'd like to live within walking distance (~.3mi) to a NYC direct train station (I work at WTC) and within 30-40 minutes driving distance to East Hanover. I like towns with nice city centers like Maplewood or Cranford, but they seem to be out of modern 1 bed/1bath apartments :\

I'm in my 20s and he's in his early 30s so preferably somewhere quiet but not isolated. We also have 2 cats so pet-friendly is a must. Our combined income is ~$200K so we feel most comfortable with a max rent of $2400 or so inclusive of parking/pet fees. Any recommendations for managed complexes or other "commuter towns" would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Morristown would be my first recommendation. You can take the train to Hoboken and transfer to the path which will get you directly to the WTC. There are a number of brand new luxury complexes within walking distance to the recently refurbished train station that are within your budget. Your commute to East Hanover will be short, well within your stated desire. Although Montclair has a lot going for it, during normal rush hour traffic you will be cutting your commute time very close, if not over, your desired time limit. (traffic on 280 or rte 10 can be a real bear.)

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I don't think you are going to find very modern apartments, however look at Maplewood/South Orange, Montclair, good luck !

Old 12-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Morristown would be my first recommendation. You can take the train to Hoboken and transfer to the path which will get you directly to the WTC. There are a number of brand new luxury complexes within walking distance to the recently refurbished train station that are within your budget. Your commute to East Hanover will be short, well within your stated desire. Although Montclair has a lot going for it, during normal rush hour traffic you will be cutting your commute time very close, if not over, your desired time limit. (traffic on 280 or rte 10 can be a real bear.)

HTH
KoalaNJ
I would LOVE to live in Morristown! It looks like there are a lot of apartment complexes there that we'd be interested in. However, my commute to NYC would be a killer at 90+ minutes :\

Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
i would say Montclair, South Orange, Morristown would all be solid options where you could find something nice, in your price range, with direct NYC service. Also those towns have decent nightlife as well.

Of course, there is also Jersey city which would make your commute much easier, keep his to about 40 mins. There are areas that are quiet, have easy parking and allow you more nightlife options and walkability.
Thanks! We're actually looking at a complex in South Orange so this is reassuring

We looked at Jersey City. We're considering The Beacon (leasing from a condo-owner vs. leasing office) because it's relatively cheaper, but otherwise, rent + parking + pet fees for a modern 1 bed/1bath in downtown JC runs around $2800+. Yikes!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I would suggest Montclair. I know there are some newer/modern apartments right across the street from Bay St. train station. Montclair to East Hanover is about a 20-minute drive.
I read somewhere that the area around the Bay St. Train Station isn't very... nice?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,456,370 times
Quote:
I would LOVE to live in Morristown! It looks like there are a lot of apartment complexes there that we'd be interested in. However, my commute to NYC would be a killer at 90+ minutes :\
I have a good friend who does the commute from Convent Station (one stop east from the Morristown station) to the WTC, he says his commute is not as bad as you suggest. The train from Convent Station to Hoboken takes 50 to 55 min, then he hops on the Path directly to the WTC which takes about 10 min. Given that the Path is located adjacent to the NJTransit station in Hoboken, it takes him <5 min to transfer.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 12-03-2013, 12:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,344 times
Quote:
I read somewhere that the area around the Bay St. Train Station isn't very... nice?
I wouldnt go wandering certain streets at night over there by yourself. However, its not very bad. I would have no qualms walking up bloomfield ave from there to the many restaurants or bars. However you would want to take a look for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey