Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 36,434 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Princeton, NJ and moved to Manhattan about 3 years ago. I'm itching to get back to NJ! I work in midtown and am looking for a safe town to buy a house or condo in NJ with a door to door commuting distance of no more than 1 hr. Maplewood and South Orange look nice, but they are so close to really bad areas like Irvington and Newark that it frightens me. Does anyone know how safe it is here? Also, East Rutherford taxes are very attractive...does anyone know what it's like living there? Thanks in advance for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 AM

49 posts, read 212,617 times
Well, the Sunday times focused on South Orange in the Real Estate section just this past Sunday. It should be online or maybe somebody has it. East Rutherford is "safe" but its not nearly as nice as South Orange, to me it has a more "working class" look to it, smaller shabbier houses, etc. I don't know anything about Maplewood.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM

69 posts, read 313,093 times
If taxes are a concern, East Rutherford and Carlstadt are both good options - however, I can say I agree with the previous poster that these towns are a big more "working class." Rutherford is a wonderful town for commuting and has a lovely downtown area as well, but the taxes are average for the area, and therefore not especially low. But it offers both bus and train to NYC. Other suggestions would be Passaic County - Clifton. Essex County - Nutley or Bloomfield. All of these are excellent options for a commuter. South Orange is very nice but pricy.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:38 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
South Orange and Maplewood are both really nice towns. They do border some towns that are not very nice though. If you choose your location carefully in either town, you will be very happy with your choice. Maplewood is a little more bohemian while South Orange has more of a college feel to it (but not like Princeton). Property taxes are high though.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:16 AM

37 posts, read 261,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiemommie View Post
Well, the Sunday times focused on South Orange in the Real Estate section just this past Sunday. It should be online or maybe somebody has it. East Rutherford is "safe" but its not nearly as nice as South Orange, to me it has a more "working class" look to it, smaller shabbier houses, etc. I don't know anything about Maplewood.
I live in East Rutherford and went to high school here. Its an ok town. There is little crime except for the occassional stolen car there is no violent crime here. It is very much a working class town filled with 2 family homes and apartment buildings but builders have been putting in some nice condos and new apartment complexes and are trying to take advantage of the cleaned up train station area on the East Rutherford side. I would rate it a C+ currently with the chance of moving up to a B. High school is not that great, elementary and middle school are pretty good. Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to message me.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 24,352 times
I lived in East Rutherford for a few months while I moved. It's ok. Maplewood is also fine, as long as you're not too close to the border with Irvington.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 PM

6 posts, read 69,791 times
Default Two Towns

South Orange and Maplewood are pretty much the same deal. The farther west (away from Irvington/Newark) you are, the more expensive the homes. Crime is low. Property taxes are high in both towns, but they are both very lovely places to live.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 AM

646 posts, read 2,668,480 times
South Orange ....not so much.Millburn ,Summit,Chatum,New Providence yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey