Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 PM

24 posts, read 96,411 times

Advertisements

SERIOUSLY!

How can I explain this, He was my friend and I trusted him until I found out he got heavily involved into drugs and overdosed in my apartment, So I told him he needs to leave and never come back and he became very angry with me?? I even filed police reports that he damaged my apartment before he left but did not press charges. Now I recieved a notice from some lawyer that he is suing me for money he never gave me............................... there was no lease or contract of any kind

What a mess can someone give me advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,872 times
Default You will be forced to pay double the amount

the law is for the tenant 100% in NJ. Your guilty until proven innocent. If the tenant says you were paid a security you were paid. He does not even have to prove anything

Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,863 times
The tenant needs to produce some sort of receipt to prove he gave you this deposit. As far as the illegal drug use, You did the right thing for evicting him right away.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 PM

316 posts, read 1,251,959 times
Question wait the most important question is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrachi View Post
SERIOUSLY!

How can I explain this, He was my friend and I trusted him until I found out he got heavily involved into drugs and overdosed in my apartment, So I told him he needs to leave and never come back and he became very angry with me?? I even filed police reports that he damaged my apartment before he left but did not press charges. Now I recieved a notice from some lawyer that he is suing me for money he never gave me............................... there was no lease or contract of any kind

wait the most important question is what type of house did you rent to him?
was it a room, was it a two family and you lived there too, was it a single family, was it a 3 or 4 family. Is the house near a park or school?
I am asking you these questions because there are laws about them.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 PM

770 posts, read 3,688,978 times
I am sure first off, he is going to have to prove he gave you money. Secondly, if you called the police and filed a report, I would obtain that and take it with you to court and counter sue him. That will knock him over in his chair.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 AM

24 posts, read 96,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
wait the most important question is what type of house did you rent to him?
was it a room, was it a two family and you lived there too, was it a single family, was it a 3 or 4 family. Is the house near a park or school?
I am asking you these questions because there are laws about them.
owner occupied 2 family and yes there is a school right around the corner, as well as a ply ground.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 AM

416 posts, read 1,717,441 times
For legal advice, don't you think you'd be better off with a local lawyer specializing in real estate law (especially for rentals) than random people posting on a message board? What next, someone is going to ask us for a second opinion because they've been diagnosed with cancer? "Yes, Dr. Finkelstein said that I've got lung cancer, but funkydad87 said I'd be fine, so don't worry."

Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,634,087 times
Although you will probably end up in court with the tennant and a mediator (as I once have) I have to agree with dessertRat I would ask a lawyer. Good Luck.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,671,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrachi View Post
SERIOUSLY!

Along with what the others have said I suggest you watch Judge Alex, Judge Joe Brown, Judge Mathis, Judge Judy or Judge Milan on T.V. Not getting rental agreements in writing seems to be the bread and butter of their shows. Another suggestion......DON'T ADD A FRIEND TO YOUR CELLUAR PHONE PLAN! All kidding aside, I would go with what desertrat posted. Find a local lawyer and see what they say. Good luck to you.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,671,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
For legal advice, don't you think you'd be better off with a local lawyer specializing in real estate law (especially for rentals) than random people posting on a message board? What next, someone is going to ask us for a second opinion because they've been diagnosed with cancer? "Yes, Dr. Finkelstein said that I've got lung cancer, but funkydad87 said I'd be fine, so don't worry."
Excellent advice and funny at the same time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey