Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM

29 posts, read 120,698 times

Advertisements

Move there only because you want to live there.

ALL of Essex County re taxes are high. So you'll be paying crazy taxes on a property that is going to take a LONG time to catch up to the rest of the NJ re market as far as "desirable"

EO is not considered a "desireable" up and coming area - maybe in 20 years. So, if you buy and expect a huge re-sale profit in a couple of years, ain't happening - at least, not going by the current history of EO.

YES, you can get a cheap "luxury" apt/condo. In fact, what you are paying for that $99K condo, you can't even buy a trailer at the Shore for - so what does that tell you?

The UP side? Short commute to NYC via the train, easy access to most of NNJ via 287 including some really great restaurants around the "metro" Newark area.

Move there because you want to - no other reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,687 times
I lived in Lenox on the Park! It is a great little apartment. And the landlords are great as well as repairs. I only stayed for 3 months due to health, but they let me move apartments when my roomate left, and then let me out of a year lease. They have nice apartments, the train station is a 5 minute walk at most, and the stores are close by. Just watch where you go, there are some questionable people, but the cops are always out patroling, if it makes you feel better.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,714 times
I'm bumping this cause I'm thinking about moving in to one of these apartments. I'm originally from central jersey, but I need a place to live near newark (I'll be working at St Michaels hospital) I know the area isn't the greatest but its not something I haven't had do deal with.

Anyone have any input/info/comments about the Lenox on the Park apartments?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
It's East Orange. In other words, don't move there. I don't care if it's gated or not.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 PM

188 posts, read 376,460 times
Neshia and eofool,

I couldn't agree with you more. I was on Central ave in EO (near the school and Dunkin Donuts) and I had a cop come from the other side of central ave to give me a ticket for a cell phone at first, but then decided to give me a ticket for my tail light out. Would you believe my surprise 2 months later when I tried to pay the ticket online--the was a warrant out for my arrest. I was so shocked and made the cautious trek from JC to EO to make sure I didn't get pulled over.

I pick up my daughter every night from EO and on the way home to Bloomfield, on Oraton Parkway, I get stopped by the cop who sits there with his light off and as soon as you try to go through the light, he nabs you. The cops in EO are really ridiculous.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 PM

86 posts, read 247,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellem View Post
I'm looking at some rooms in this property.
Welcome - Lenox on the Park
The website and their salespeople make it out to be a nice neighbouhood and all that, but I've read only bad things about East Orange on this forum and in the newspapers.
Does anybody here has more impartial background info on this project?
The address is supposed to be 40 Lenox Ave, East Orange, NJ 07018
Thanks!
i dont know about that unit in particular, but i now own a condo at 60 parkway drive.

the thing is people have a LOT of **** to say because the stats in 2003 were quite bad, and no one will deny it. even 60 parkway drive, used to be called the Mayflower and if you google it you can see pictures of the crack house this place was back them. things can and do change.

for me i am very, very, very happy here at 60. i have met many people here, retired white couples (more than a few), young black professionals, middle aged women and even young white females. the building (60) has two 24 hour security staff, one at the parking lot entrance and one concierge. the both have full access to see anything that is going on in any common areas. the worst that has happened since the building opened was that a bike, that was not chained, was stole outside on the bike rack. right now the bike rack is being moved to a more secure area (ie. harder to get to from the outside).

we have moved it only recently, but since we have been here there was a "meet and greet" with jazz and the mayor of east orange. obviously there is secure entry into the building. if you want you can have (for a one time fee of currently $175) installed adt-style sensory on your door that requires you to punch in a code with the door is openned. if not the doorman will call the unit, no answer or anything strange and the cops will there in 3-8 minutes.

once inside you get everything that the sales people say you get and more. granite and marble in the kitchen, new enegry star appliclens, the secure picnic area, all the things you would expect in a million dollar NYC condo. only it is in east orange.

before i moved in, i was renting in montclair NJ. the door the building was not secure, the door to the unit was broken, the area was ****. it was nothing but riff raff area, the toilet ran constantly. the place was nasty and in disrepair. but hey i was living in the golden child city of montclair. and yes i pay less now in mortage+taxes+dues than i did renting that **** hole in montclair. and i feel much safer now than i did in montclair.

the truth is not as simple as a sheet of crime facts. in truth you need to think about your particular life, what your situtations are. you need to visit the building and the units talk to people who live in the building, figure out how secure it is. and if YOU feel comfortable with the security level. East Orange crime wise is the same or a bit more than most NYC neighborhoods. (less than the one i lived in for 20 years.)

when it comes to east orange a lot of people on this board talk what they dont know, or what they knew even 6 years ago. the question is to yourself, are YOU happy with security.

Last edited by jigglypuff; 05-31-2009 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 12:28 PM

86 posts, read 247,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeshiaNJ View Post
I also live in East Orange and I have to agree with everything the last person said.
The police officers are more worried about giving tickets for tinted windows than
anything else. There are more officers than citzens, at least thats the way it seems.
Are they really patrolling the streets to keep us safe? Or are they more worried about
making that Tuesday and Thursday ticket quota for the week? Now that we actually don't have to worry about as much crime as years before when death seemed to be normal in our streets, we have to worry about those stupid bright red and blue lights everywhere I turn go fight some real crime . Lesson to the wise if your license is suspended don't drive in East Orange , if you don't have valid insurance or your registration or inspection is expired DON'T DRIVE IN EAST ORANGE !! I am so tired of being pulled over for no reason. And getting a ticket for what, something that I didn't even do. Yeah I go to court and try to fight it then have to pay a court fee too. Where is all the money going is the question we need to ask? They repaired most of the roads but the city is still a hot mess. All the vacant lots all over and the abandoned houses with all the trash and garbage everywhere its so nasty. We as human beings need to take pride in where we live and help keep this place clean. And why exactly is there no overnight parking, the streets are not cleaned every single night especially in the winter.
These statements or of my own and not intended to upset or disrespect anyone. Just expressing my experiences and views with anyone who reads this.
who do you feel is "to blame" for the problems in east orange?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,236 times
I currently live in the Lenox On The Park. It is not all its cracked up to be. Yes the police are always on the block but that doesn't deter things from happening such as attempted break-in, vandalism and loitering. They make the pictures look great and when you first move into complex everyone is really nice and then the representatives leave and you are stuck with all the excuses. Not a happy camper at all with the conditions or the lies. For the amount of money they are charging its rediculous that service after you get into building sucks because its all a faux appearance. Don't fall for the hype

Old 06-19-2010, 05:24 AM

137 posts, read 385,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word To The Wise View Post
I currently live in the Lenox On The Park. It is not all its cracked up to be. Yes the police are always on the block but that doesn't deter things from happening such as attempted break-in, vandalism and loitering. They make the pictures look great and when you first move into complex everyone is really nice and then the representatives leave and you are stuck with all the excuses. Not a happy camper at all with the conditions or the lies. For the amount of money they are charging its rediculous that service after you get into building sucks because its all a faux appearance. Don't fall for the hype
Please give the people some examples of problems you are having over there, so we can have it listed here?
What are your issues there?

JE

Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,955 times
E.o. I grew up in newark now i reside in eo next to the "cycely tyson school of performing arts" $150,000 school which opened in 2009 (and has had two principals to run the spot since it o.c. With violence, homosexuallity,foul mouth children, poor educators{ok not all the tachers are bad}), eo is a safe place to live the police see to that, martial law rules you will not be able to stand on your own porch day or night, if you drive have your paper work handy you will need it, lenox ave on the park is surronded by larger apt buildings one is a halfway house i believe, around the corner is a large rooming house, good thing is turn two corners and you on 280 back to where ever the hell you came from, if you can deal with the smell of someone cooking goat(or boiling dog,cat, pigeon {how come there are none in eo????} or what ever it is your foriegn neighbors are brewing in that pot of gumbo, for the price they are asking (i heard they give you a flat screen tv cant take it with you when you hit 280 but hey its nice while your there) welcome to the hood neighbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey