Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 35,335 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am thinking of moving to Secaucus, New Jersey - particularly the Harmon Cove complex. I wanted to get some feedback from locals. I have two daughters the first one goes to KG. So, I want to evaluate along these parameters:

1. Commute to NY - how long does it take to get to Wall street
2. Schools - how good are the schools.
3. Is it safe for wife and kids to go around during the night.

Thanks in advance for any information

Venkat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 08:53 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvraman View Post
Hi!

I am thinking of moving to Secaucus, New Jersey - particularly the Harmon Cove complex. I wanted to get some feedback from locals. I have two daughters the first one goes to KG. So, I want to evaluate along these parameters:

Venkat
I'll give my 2 cents but I lived in the next town over for a long time. Public schools are decent, not great. That particular area is a gated community so by Hudson County standards it is fairlly safe. The main drag has many stores, they have a shopping outlet area very close to Harmon Cove, so the wife and daughters should be happy. Taxes aren't to bad for the area. Commute wise, they should have a bus line directly to Manhatten. Check the NJTransit web site to see the schedule. That comlex is bordered on the west side by the Hackensack River and they have a nice pool area for the summertime. Good luck with your decision. Welcome to Jersey.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 AM

50 posts, read 215,847 times
Lifelong resident of Secaucus here.

Taxes are low, have only gone up once in the past ten years.

It's a very safe town, there is some car theft around the main shopping areas, but as far as locally, hardly anything ever happens.

The schools are very good. The top ten percent of the graduating class always gets their pick of whatever schools they want to go to. I have friends I graduated with go to Princeton and Harvard, NYU and TCNJ. I went to TCNJ myself, which is not Harvard, but is pretty hard to get into itself. The school sports program is top notch. The school has the best facilities in the district and the technology in the schools is second to none.

The bad thing about the town is politics, both in the school system and in the town. The mayor, and people who run the schools are pretty horrible.

Other than that, Harmon Cove is a great place to live if you can afford the monthly maintenance fees, which are pretty high considering. The complex includes a fitness center, pools, tennis courts, etc.

Not that sure about the commute to Wall Street.....during off peak hours, the commute is like 20 minutes to Times Square.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:43 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,292,283 times
Quote:
Hi!

Venkat
I have always liked Harmon Cove, albeit from afar. I can't help you on the schools, but the people I know there say it's safe, has good shopping and the commute to NYC is very good as well. Rt. 3 in the mornings can be brutal but I believe you have alternatives. Good luck and welcome to NJ!

Eric

Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 35,335 times
Default Thanks a lot

for all the answers. We visited Secaucus this Saturday. Found it to be pretty nice but not sure if I will end up there or in QUeens.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:26 AM

54 posts, read 265,505 times
I work in Rutherford, NJ which's about 10 mins from Harmon Cove Towers.

There are several condos for sale right now, 2B/2B pricing around $330k-400k, maintenance is about $630/month, the real estate tax is $4k.

The maintenace is way too much considering the heat is using eletricity

Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 PM

81 posts, read 317,523 times
Quote:
for all the answers. We visited Secaucus this Saturday. Found it to be pretty nice but not sure if I will end up there or in QUeens.
if those are your only two choices, Secaucus wins hands down

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM

170 posts, read 477,429 times
Better yet, you should move to newark. I was born and raised there. It's all sunshine and rainbows.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 AM

101 posts, read 460,856 times
Bumping this thread, as I am looking at Secaucus or Lyndhurst as a possiblity to relocate, wanted to get some more opinions on the town for schools and community... It's one of those back of my mind things, since we may be outgrowing our home, I love my town now (Springfield). Looks like the housing prices for Secaucus are alot more than my town, so it may not be feasible...

Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
I would honestly recommend Lyndhurst over Secaucus. First you are in Bergen County as opposed to Hudson,which trust me is better. The schools are ok - not great - in both. But I think the overall "feel" of the towns is better in Lyndhurst.

I have family in Lyndhurst and they do have an awful lot of nice activities for the kids. You know the nice park they have! They have a really nice celebration on the 4th and they have a lovely Christmas outing in the park, complete with carolers, Santa, sleigh rides... There are great stores right in town. Nice supermarkets a nice Perkins.

The elementary schools can vary greatly and there is competiton to get into the "better" of the schools. If I'm not mistaken, "Washington" is now the desired school followed by "Jefferson."

Please feel free to write more here or send me a DM - I can even put you in contact w/ my family from the town (they love it, btw...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey