Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM

39 posts, read 113,072 times

Advertisements

I'm talking the type of remote areas that run counter to the NYC urban like stereotype many outsiders have of the state. Places where mobile homes, wide open fields and other small town USA characteristics can be found- Basically the type of place most people wouldn't guess are in NJ.

All most people(myself included) have seen of NJ is the urban/industrial areas surrounding the turnpike. If
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM

88,751 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
I'm talking the type of remote areas that run counter to the NYC urban like stereotype many outsiders have of the state. Places where mobile homes, wide open fields and other small town USA characteristics can be found- Basically the type of place most people wouldn't guess are in NJ.

All most people(myself included) have seen of NJ is the urban/industrial areas surrounding the turnpike. If
Drive along the Delaware, for starters.

Most of NJ is suburban towns of varying degrees of affluence. The industrial areas along the Turnpike are the exception of what NJ looks like, not the rule.

We don't have tons of mobile home parks, although there are some here and there. You'll find more space in South Jersey and western Jersey, obviously, since they are further from New York City. Also, look at Sussex County.

Where I live (Monmouth County), I can drive fifteen minutes and be at the ocean, or I can go west ten minutes and be in the midst of horse farms. I can also find points along the ocean where I have a clear view of Manhattan. If I drive further west in my county I will come upon farms with signs that say Preserved Farmland--land that cannot be developed. You don't have to go too far to find what you are looking for. You just have to get off the Turnpike.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 PM

265 posts, read 598,943 times
Take Route 80 past the intersection of 287 and Denville, things start to get rural. Once you pass the Rockaway Mall at exit 35, it is all countrty... less than one hour from NYC.

Interstate 80 in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,023,302 times
Go to Sussex County. I feel you will find what you are looking for up there.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,432,874 times
When I was a kid my parents chose between Sussex Cty (I believe it was Sleepy Hollow Rd or something- I would've gone to Sleepy Hollow School) and Florida, where they could buy more real estate for the same money. It was rural then, and so beautiful. I often wonder what happened to that area. I think it was Vernon?

They chose Florida. I remember the lot in Sussex, and how sad I was at their choice.

Well, that didn't help the OP much. Good luck to you.

JUst looked it up for nostalgia's sake. Sleepy Hollow Rd, Vernon Township. So lovely.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:17 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,623,852 times
Most of North West NJ is very rural, many of the locals call everywhere else "down below" as in "I'm going down below today."

Also much of western Hunterdon is rural with some places where what used to be roads reverted to nature and became creeks and rivers.

Probably some more down SouthWest NJ but those are the areas I'm most familiar with.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM

19,165 posts, read 25,424,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Places where mobile homes, wide open fields and other small town USA characteristics can be found
Why would you want to see areas where mobile homes predominate?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,653,382 times
Here's a population density map of NJ by census tract, from the US Census:

Any of the green-tinged areas are going to have some wilderness/uninhabited stretches of land.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,872,902 times
Salem County had plenty of mobile homes and open farmland;the same with Cumberland County,esp. Bridgeton area.

Driving through there,I couldn't tell too much of a difference between NC and Salem/Cumberland County.
I was kicking myself for not thinking of going down there first!

I think Browns Mills had that small town feel to it(at least when I went) but its also a military town.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 AM

32,986 posts, read 36,507,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Why would you want to see areas where mobile homes predominate?

When you live in a rural area, you can both take a whiz and shoot something from the deck. It's country living at its finest. Maybe the OP wants to make some 'shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey