Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,427,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're probably right, but do note that when I wrote my post, the "he fought back" part of the story was not part of what was reported. It was that the guy opened the door for his wife, she got in, he walked around the car, two guys materialized and shot him in the head, then made his wife get out and took the car. THAT does sound suspicious.
true....but my conclusion was he got shot cause he resisted. which ended up being reported a day or two later. i wasn't surprised. that's what happens in car jackings.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
my neighbor was car-jacked at that gas station. went in to buy a pack of cigs, left the keys in the car. he ran after it, grabbed the door, then let go. i told him he was nuts for running after it!

amazing, but it's a pretty good gas station to steal a car from if you think about it.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,831,676 times
Those two thugs just want the car and stuff, they know murder charges are much heavier than armed robbery. So they will avoid killing if they can.

If I were this guy, I will say, take all your can. just leave me and my wife alone.

He has auto insurance, the stuff he bought, probably put on credit card can also be refunded.. at the end of the day, his loss is minimal.

sigh...

Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm not saying I agree with what he did. I think you save any heroics for a last resort. He probably jumped the gun (no pun intended), and took measures that should be reserved for when his wife REALLY was in danger. Again, this is more conjecture. Either way, he is an innocent victim.

I don't know what the low lives wanted. Obviously they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, killing someone in such a high profile location. Maybe they thought killing him would scare off anyone who might try to stop them. Maybe killing him was no big deal to them because of where they come from, so they just did it because he didn't get out of their way fast enough. Hopefully, we will find out one day.
yeah. i've had this conversation with multiple people. i'm mostly using this event as a discussion point on the general topic. i don't mean to make him sound at fault in any way. but i just cannot believe it when i read a story like this one (the initial stories) that what started as a relatively 'petty' crime (even though a car is valuable, it's still a monetary item, so i consider it petty but i realize that's not the best word) ended with someone shot, my immediate thought is..."oh crap, did the victim try to stop them from stealing his car?". then i read about the wife, and honestly, it doesn't register immediately that he needs to "defend" his wife. they were attacking him, demanding his keys, she should be getting the heck out of the car, dialing 911 maybe (though a bit risky), etc.

i'm just personally of the mindset that, if someone wants to take my possessions with threat of force...i'll deal with it later through the cops. it's not worth the risks of taking any other solution. now, when it's people, it gets more difficult. my wife i would expect to get the heck out. if my kids were in the car, that, i'm not sure what i would do. i still think it's futile to try and fight someone who's already got a gun out...but kids change the equation quite a bit for me.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Statement from the uncle of the wife---very impressive.

"I'm just worn out. This day was one of the most difficult days of my life. So totally senseless. So totally devastating. So very sad. I'm not mad, I'm numb. Maybe in a few days, weeks or months, I'll get mad. What I do I want? I want the punks responsible to pay. I want them to die. I want them to get what they gave. I don't want to hear about gun laws, that dilutes this atrocity. I don't want to hear about how difficult they had it growing up, that dilutes the selfishness of their crime. And I don't want to hear how we need to show them compassion, that dilutes the fact that they committed MURDER. Murder that PERMANENTLY ended the life of my nephew, a sweet, soft, loving, giving, smart and talented Individual. Murder that has devastated my niece, made her a widow, and murder that has PERMANENTLY scarred my family."
people often want revenge, thinking that will make them feel any better.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,831,676 times
Another reason not to live in the best neighborhoods as they are targets of money hungry thugs.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
He couldn't know, though. Chances are if he'd have handed over the keys they'd have ordered the wife out and taken the car. But he couldn't know they weren't going to take the car with his wife in it, and once he handed over his keys he'd be out of options.
is the wife not seeing what's going on as it's happening? she should know to get out of the car, and he should know she is smart enough to do that. of course, that doesn't mean it ends all bunny rabbits and ice cream, but c'mon - they're stealing a nice car. if you own a $70,000 car and live anywhere near newark, you should someone know that people tend to try and steal them vs., say, a honda fit.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM

267 posts, read 352,682 times
i'm confused on this story and I think i've likely just missed something. They approached with the gun out correct? Originally it sounded like they walked up and shot him, then it was he was defending someone. Was the entire interaction at gun point? I can't blame the guy for trying to protect his family. If it was just him then yeah give em what they want but once wife, kids etc..are invovled I think ones brain takes a different path and the insticnt to protect your loved ones kicks in. Sometime the instinctof flight doesnt always kick in and the defnse one does

Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ugggg I had no idea you were a non fancy person!

im not really sure if you would qualify. casual clothes aren't what separates the non fancy people from the fancy people.
what makes someone fancy? lol

i'm a pretty simple guy, but i like some nice things. i'd probably call myself non-fancy. it's tough to be fancy when you grew up in the sticks of pennsyltucky.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
brady seems to want to support the story line that people risk their lives for their cars. he likes to say "don't risk your life for a car!!" but I doubt that's whats happening. its just the narrative that seems to work best for brady.
no, not just for a car. don't risk your life when a gun is pointed at you. it's not a hollywood set. people need to understand that. too many people, including ones who i would think have knowledge about guns, think that they can overcome a gun pointed at them. you can't. unless the person holding the gun is not willing to pull the trigger, does not make a stupid decision (as this car thief did), or makes a big mistake, you're not going to overpower the guy with the gun. add to that, there's a second guy going against you...really, think about that rationally. maybe he didn't see the gun, and just thought he'd fight back. i dunno...tough to judge what's going through his head at that point. also, tough to say with certainty what you'd do in the situation, but I hope i'd be of the right mind to not escalate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey