Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 AM

5 posts, read 24,076 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to New Jersey, Edison from India with my family (Wife & 2 daughters - 3 years & 6 years). My work Place is in New York. I want to understand the cost of living with monthly pay out for 4 of us like rent, gas, electricity, grocery, insurance, schooling, taxes, transportation etc..I also want to know what should be the ideal salary which should give me sufficient savings on a month on month basis??

My wife is currently working in India in the IT field managing IT Infrastructure for a pharmaceutical country...are there enough job opportunities in NY where she can find a good job & the employer can sponsor her working Visa??

Also we are a Gujarati family, ideally looking at suggestions for areas with Indian community or rather Gujarati community in New Jersy, Edison...

I have heard that NY is very expensive, apart from New Jersy, I'm also looking suggestion with recommendations for other city in the Neighborhood which is equally good, affordable & cheaper than NJ??

I really need serious help on this...please guys help me with maximum info...Your replies can help me a long way in taking this critical decision of relocating...

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Edison and Iselin, New Jersey have extremely high numbers of Indian-Americans, I think among the top places in the country. It's very noticeable, especially in Iselin.

The NYC metro area in general is expensive. You're paying for access to arguably the greatest city in the world, at least in the country. NJ has high taxes, which is a common deterrent for people who want to move to the area.

Your wife works in the pharmaceutical industry which is actually really big in NJ. There are many pharmaceutical companies headquartered in NJ, especially in the central region of the state it seems to me. Here's a list: Category:Pharmaceutical companies based in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for cost of living, it depends on where you will be working, because then we can suggest the best areas to move to. It seems neither you or your wife have jobs set up yet (or do you? You say you'll be working in NYC, is this definite? where in NYC?) so you probably can't answer that. It depends on where you're working because you'll want good access to your job, especially if it is in New York City, and also an area with good schools, I'm assuming a safe neighborhood, etc. Generally, the closer you are to NYC, the more expensive it will be overall.

Is there any other info you can give us? It seems you want us to suggest place for you to live on very vague information. This thread should help: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply...highly appreciated...

Well I'm selected for the job post in NYC with my current company and I'm in the process of negotiating/finalizing my annual salary package...hence I needed some clarity on ideal salary figure which should give me sufficient savings depending on overall cost of living in NJ...so me working in NYC is confirmed & the address is One Penn Plaza, 250 W, 34th Street Suite 3501, New York

So I need to know the estimated budgeting with respect to cost of living in NJ, Edison or Iselin or any other location which is closer to NYC, equally affordable & safe neighborhood preferably with Indian community...

Where are you coming from? India
Why are you moving? New Jersey, Edison or Iselin
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? One Penn Plaza, 250 W, 34th Street Suite 3501, New York

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Not decided as yet...looking for information on the same...
What kind of place are you looking for ? We are a family of 4, so preferably 2 Bedroom Apartment...however I need estimated rent cost for both 1 Bedroom & 2 Bedroom apartments/flat...

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse & 2 kids (3 years & 7 years)
Do you need/want good public schools? YES will certainly need info on Public/Private schools as to when they start taking admissions, approximate monthly fees for both private & public for 3 year old daughter & 7 year old daughter...what is the difference between public & private schools??

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Families with young children & safe...

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Safety, Family oriented & charming...

Please reply with maximum information which will really us in taking this critical decision of relocation...

Thanks,
Chirag Kawa

Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag Kawa View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply...highly appreciated...

Well I'm selected for the job post in NYC with my current company and I'm in the process of negotiating/finalizing my annual salary package...hence I needed some clarity on ideal salary figure which should give me sufficient savings depending on overall cost of living in NJ...so me working in NYC is confirmed & the address is One Penn Plaza, 250 W, 34th Street Suite 3501, New York

So I need to know the estimated budgeting with respect to cost of living in NJ, Edison or Iselin or any other location which is closer to NYC, equally affordable & safe neighborhood preferably with Indian community...

Where are you coming from? India
Why are you moving? New Jersey, Edison or Iselin
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? One Penn Plaza, 250 W, 34th Street Suite 3501, New York

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Not decided as yet...looking for information on the same...
What kind of place are you looking for ? We are a family of 4, so preferably 2 Bedroom Apartment...however I need estimated rent cost for both 1 Bedroom & 2 Bedroom apartments/flat...

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse & 2 kids (3 years & 7 years)
Do you need/want good public schools? YES will certainly need info on Public/Private schools as to when they start taking admissions, approximate monthly fees for both private & public for 3 year old daughter & 7 year old daughter...what is the difference between public & private schools??

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Families with young children & safe...

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Safety, Family oriented & charming...

Please reply with maximum information which will really us in taking this critical decision of relocation...

Thanks,
Chirag Kawa
Well, you're working extremely close to NY Penn Station, which is where NYC bound NJ Transit trains go to. Penn Station is literally right across the street from that building. You can take the train on a NJ Transit line that either has direct or indirect access to NY Penn (indirect requires a train switch in Newark). This map will help you narrow down living locations based on proximity/access to NY Penn Station, and thus access to your job. It is pretty easy to read, just study it closely so you know which line is which and where they go/start: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf Living in Edison will mean direct access to NY Penn Station via the Northeast Corridor NJ Transit line, for example.

Unfortunately, I can't help you much on salary/rent which is what you need to know most. I can say, though, that it is good that your wife will also be working as you said in your first post, bringing in more income without the burden being just on you.

Public schools are funded by taxes, most towns have their own school districts, while smaller towns or less populated areas will have regional schools in which kids from multiple towns or municipalities go to and is more of a shared district. Either way, public schools are funded by taxes. Generally, the nicer/better the town, the better the schools will be. Don't move to Newark and expect great public schools, for example. Private schools aren't funded by the state and instead normally cost money out of pocket to attend, like a tuition. Sometimes, private schools also follow a different curriculum than public schools since they are not state funded and aren't required to, but privately funded through tuition and donations. Private schools include religious schools (like a Catholic school, where Church will be brought into the curriculum; Jewish schools where that religion is brought into it; etc), or academies and prep schools.

As far as finding safe towns with good schools that are also charming and family oriented, you're in luck because in northern NJ we have plenty of those. It all depends on affordability, which as I said, I unfortunately won't be of much help with. Hopefully someone else can help you with salary/budget, but its not always an easy question to answer.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Hi Jersy,

Thanks for your prompt reply once again with vital information on schools & train transit. Can you help me with someone's contact details from whom I can get the info on rentals & other details as required by me??

Your co-operation is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chirag

Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 AM

120 posts, read 167,384 times
Hi chirag,
You can use njmls and gmls for rental listing. Is your company providing you with hotel accommodation for the first couple of weeks? You can request viewing of the rental by contacting the realtor listed on property. Sulekha is another website you can use. All the best.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 PM

155 posts, read 556,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag Kawa View Post
Hi Jersy,

Thanks for your prompt reply once again with vital information on schools & train transit. Can you help me with someone's contact details from whom I can get the info on rentals & other details as required by me??

Your co-operation is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chirag
Rent will be around 14004 to 1800$ for 2 bedrooms

Also the schools are really (with 9 ratings) so up to my understanding its not necessary to go to private schools.
But the schools starts after 5 years only. so for your younger daughter you need to go for day care which will be cost around 1000$/month. I think you will think about it when your wife starting to work.

Again the schools are VERY different than India schools.

Also you need a car which is very important because you can't live without a car there

----
I live in jersey city which is very near to NYC. no need for a car as we have path train. BUT the public schools are not good good (only 3 rating)

So not a option for you. Just a place were you can live without a car.
Rent will be around 1500$ for 2 bedroom.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 AM

Hi Joseph & Deven...thanks a ton for your responses...will go through the suggestions and come back to you if you need more information...

Thanks so much...
Chirag

Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Hi Guys,

To put things in perspective, my annual package is going to be around 70K, my work place is in NYC - Penn Plaza...for a family of 4 of us (Spouse+2 kids - 3 yrs & 7 yrs) I need to do exact budgeting in terms incurred expenses on a monthly basis, so I can know exactly how much I can save monthly…(If at all I can …I would be really happy If I can atleast save 2 to 3K monthly..)

Depending on my package I’m ideally looking for affordable & adorable suggestions to settle in a place which is easily accessible to NYC in terms of commuting from home to my work place (NYC - Penn Plaza ) by Train, Bus & Car….Indian communities, reasonable rentals, safe neighborhood, good public schools, pleasant & good environment, places to enjoy with family etc…

Got to know about Jersey city, Iselin, Edison & Penn….I really don’t know as I need to do city-wise economics where I can live comfortably with my family with complete safety leading a healthy & enjoyable lifestyle…??? Need more detailed suggestions here which I can afford….???

Firstly let me explore EDISON with you guys….I would be commuting through train from Edison to my workplace in NYC, hence I need suggestions regarding areas in Edison which are within walking distance from stations with Indian communities, reasonable rent, safe neighborhood, good ambiance, good schools, shopping malls, weekend leisure avenues etc…

- Approximate distance/hours it will take to reach NYC from Edison??? ___________
- Monthly Travelling cost (train pass or daily ticket from Edison to NYC)??? ___________
- Monthly Rent for a 2 Bedroom & 1 Bedroom apartment??? ____________ (Do these apartments provide TV, Fridge, modular kitchen, washing machines, ACs, Heaters etc.???)
- Monthly Taxes to be paid both direct & indirect??? (Annual salary 70K & monthly 5.83K) ___________
- Monthly Groceries cost for 2 Adults & 2 kids (3 yrs & 7 yrs)??? ___________
- Monthly Cooking Gas bills for 2 Adults & 2 kids (3 yrs & 7 yrs)??? ___________
- Monthly Mobile bills for 2 working people??? ___________
- Monthly Electricity cost for a 2 bedroom apartment??? ___________
- Monthly Life Insurance cost for 2 Adults & 2 kids (3 yrs & 7 yrs)??? ___________
- Monthly Medical Insurance cost for 2 Adults & 2 kids (3 yrs & 7 yrs)??? ___________
- Car buying cost – New & Old???__________
- Monthly fuel/gas/petrol charges??? ___________
- Monthly school tuition fees, If Any??? I believe education is free in Public Schools??? ____________
- On a weekend, approximate cost for watching movies & having dinner outside for 2 Adults & 2 kids (3 yrs & 7 yrs)??? ___________
- Other Monthly miscellaneous charges??? ___________

# Other Details:
- Round the year whether conditions in Edison???___________
- Places to go for weekend getaways/short vacations & approximate cost involved???___________
- Prospects for IT Jobs in Mail Management domain around Edison for my wife??? (currently working as IT Infrastructure Manager in a pharma company in India)__________
- Approximate salary packages offered in the Mail Management domain/IT Infrastructure??? ____________
- How soon one can get Green Card workings in US???

Guys…your overwhelming support is highly appreciated….Please help me with maximum information as it will help me a long way towards taking this critical decision of relocation from India to US…

Awaiting for your replies eagerly !!!

Thanks & Regards,
Chirag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey