Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 PM

17 posts, read 36,311 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm recently divorced, just sold my Hoboken condo (nothing fancy, a walkup, 2 bed, 2 bath 875 sq ft) but I am sure going to miss it, and the area.

I was looking to purchase a house more inland, in Rutherford maybe, and was looking at ads on Craigslist (I know, I know, just wanted to see what was out there that wouldn't necessitate a realtor). That's when I noticed an ad for a 2 bdrm apt in Hoboken for $700. Out of sheer curiosity more than anything I replied for more info. A couple of days letter I got this message:

------------
Hello,

We are pleased that you have an interest in our apartment, our lovely apartment is still available for lease and we want responsible adults/family that are neat and also believe that they have what it takes to take care of our apartment as if it were theirs. My wife and I initially had it up for sale but had a change of mind in leasing it out ourselves because the agent that was in charge of our rental property was asking too much of an agent fee and also making it difficult for people who cannot afford the rent, stay away from renting my apartment.

The reason why our apartment is up for lease is because I got transferred from my place of work to Hildebran, NC. I will be away with my family for at least 4 to 5 years because of the love I have for them, I have decided not to sell our apartment and also assuring them that we only have few years to spend here and will be willing to lease it out to person/family who is willing to assure us of taking absolute care of our apartment and pay their rent on time. I will start by telling you more in regard me and my family. I have a daughter named Jasmine (20yrs) who attends University of North Carolina as a medical student, she has a lot going for her and she is also down to earth in all that she does to keep us happy and when she is back home on vacation, she also assist her mom in the house work when am at work. I work as a Robotic Programmer & Welder/Fitter here in Hildebran, NC and got married to a lovely wife who is a member of Joyce Meyer Ministries .

We will be very pleased if we can find the right tenant to rent our apartment, a person who is a clean freak and does not tolerate anything that has to do with dirt. we also would like to know more about you and your family, your renting experience and how long and when you plan moving into our apartment? This 2 bedroom and 1 bath apartment is very specious and neat. 1452 sqft

Below is the rental property address:
734 Adams St Hoboken, New Jersey, United States 07030

Pets allowed: Yes
Rent: $700
Deposit: $300

The rental fee is inclusive with utilities and my home available as at this moment.
Remain Blessed.
Paul J Melillo and Kimberly

---------------

Now, I know if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. But what could be the scam here? Given the area, the apartment could be in terrible shape and it would still be an incredible deal. Tempting to me especially, given how much I could save for a down payment on my future house.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
check it out and see. Just don't pay any money until you're sure, that they actually own the residence.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
What a weird ad. Why would someone give out info on their daughter and her college?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-16-2013 at 05:44 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 05:13 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,220 times
Just too good to be true. It must be some kind of a scam. Proceed with extreme caution.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,220 times
I don't see anyone with that name in either Hoboken or NC. They want your $$$ or identity.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Whatc a weird ad. Why would someone give out info on their daughter and her college?
Yeah. Hard to get past that.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
scam, no one would type all that info in an email. I know I wouldn't. A simple response of "Sure apt is available, call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx to set up an appointment" would have been enough.

Its prob not his apartment to rent. He has the keys somehow. Shows you the place, takes your deposit, leaves you on the street.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Just too good to be true. It must be some kind of a scam. Proceed with extreme caution.
This.

A few hundred dollars below market = potentially good deal, likely some significant negative not mentioned in ad but not always.

a thousand below market = scam

that email = scam.

neither local to show in person nor using a realtor? = scam

Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
20yo medical student? Pre-Med @ best... Spam Big time.

Also CL has flagged it as Spam

Email address same as name on yahoo.com = Spam

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 36,311 times
I figured -- just needed to hear it from others. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey