Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 AM

14 posts, read 45,661 times

Advertisements

Got a speeding ticket in MD (74 on 65, One point on MD), I understand that MD will report the incident to NJ and i will get a 2 points. Here are my questions
1. Will it be worth to Plead not guilty and get the points removed in MD
2. Agree to a plea deal and remove the point in MD

if the judge (in MD) removes the points or agrees to reduce it to any other type of violation (similar to unsafe driving in NJ which cost a little bit of money but no license points) will MD still report to NJ and will i still get 2 point on my NJ license. Trying to find if it is worth to fight a $90 ticket (if there is any way i will not get the points in NJ i will still prefer to fight the ticket). Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
i got a ticket in MD in July. I just paid the fine. I'm not sure if I got points, doesn't matter to me since my insurance doesn't surcharge. Do you already have points to where you will be surcharged?

On a side note, can you check your driving record online?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 AM

I currently have 0 points on my NJ license, but have a accident (3 years ago) and a ticket (2.5 years ago) on my insurance, so my insurance is way high (my wife has an accident as well ..2 years ago). I am trying to avoid an another reason of the insurance companies to raise my rate.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM

696 posts, read 906,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaku View Post
Got a speeding ticket in MD (74 on 65, One point on MD), I understand that MD will report the incident to NJ and i will get a 2 points. Here are my questions
1. Will it be worth to Plead not guilty and get the points removed in MD
2. Agree to a plea deal and remove the point in MD

if the judge (in MD) removes the points or agrees to reduce it to any other type of violation (similar to unsafe driving in NJ which cost a little bit of money but no license points) will MD still report to NJ and will i still get 2 point on my NJ license. Trying to find if it is worth to fight a $90 ticket (if there is any way i will not get the points in NJ i will still prefer to fight the ticket). Any advice?
Was it a speeding camera generated citation? If so, no points will accrue even if you plead guilty. If not, you need to determine what the hit to yout insurance rates will be if you plead guilty. Are you certain that MD will pleas bargain points as NJ does. If not there is probably no point in contesting it.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 AM

The ticket was issued by a trooper. Not sure if MD has similar plea deals like NJ

Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
I would say you need to find out what the options or customs are in MD. I got a speeding ticket way out west a few years back, the speed limits are higher than here, 70 on single lane roads and 75 on highways but they have a system where once a year you can do an online course that wipes out the ticket from ever appearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: