Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you drive to ABE airport in PA to fly to Orlando
No 12 63.16%
Yes, it is worth the saving $80 per ticket 4 21.05%
Yes, if I could save over $100 per ticket 2 10.53%
Yes, but only if flew into McCoy instead of Sanford 0 0%
Yes, if they had newer jets 0 0%
Yes, if they had more than 1 flight per day 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times

Advertisements

Orlando is the most popular nonstop destination out of Newark Airport (EWR). I counted 7 United flights per day and 5 JetBlue flights. Lehigh Valley Airport in Allentown PA (ABE) is a 79 mile drive. They have 1 flight per day to Orlando on older jet, but they go to Sanford Airport (SFB), an old military airport which has car rentals but is just north of MCO airport in Orlando (24 flying miles).

Tickets cost about $80 less than flight from EWR. Considering that Orlando is often a family destination, would you drive to save $80/ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,114 times
Gas, time, tolls seems not worth the savings

Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,808 times
UA flies frequent schedules between EWR and MCO and mostly on 757s. I'd go with that.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:14 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,647 times
I would not really want to fly Allegiant. Old plane = more cancellations. 1 flight = long wait for rebooking.

To put it another way, I'd be concerned that the $240 you save on your family of 4 is at a much higher risk of screwing your $2000+ vacation up. I'd be more willing to fly a better airline.

Otherwise, I like ABE airport, no hassles, little place, simple.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,598,192 times
I'm wondering if parking is free at ABE vs EWR. That would also factor into savings.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 AM

312 posts, read 686,508 times
Parking is not free at ABE, but it is probably cheaper. The real advantage of ABE is that it is so small and easy. You don't need to take a monorail from the parking lot. You will probably only have 2 or 3 people in line with you going through security. I wouldn't drive 80 miles to get there though.

What is your ultimate destination? Some Disney resort? I doubt Disney does pickups from that other airport near Orlando.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:20 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I would not really want to fly Allegiant. Old plane = more cancellations. 1 flight = long wait for rebooking.

To put it another way, I'd be concerned that the $240 you save on your family of 4 is at a much higher risk of screwing your $2000+ vacation up. I'd be more willing to fly a better airline.

Otherwise, I like ABE airport, no hassles, little place, simple.
That's it in a nutshell. Was looking at them for flights over Christmas..just not worth the risk of cancellation due to weather that time of year.
Maybe look at Frontier they fly out of Trenton if ticket price is a major factor

Allegiant Air flight from Oakland to Utah takes off a record 12 HOURS late | Mail Online

Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
Parking is not free at ABE, but it is probably cheaper. The real advantage of ABE is that it is so small and easy. You don't need to take a monorail from the parking lot. You will probably only have 2 or 3 people in line with you going through security. I wouldn't drive 80 miles to get there though.

What is your ultimate destination? Some Disney resort? I doubt Disney does pickups from that other airport near Orlando.
Actually parking at ABE is $22/day short term, and $14 long term. However, the airport is so small that long term parking is just a slightly longer walk. There are only two or three full size jets per day, and a few dozen small regional aircraft.

EWR short term parking 24-hr maximum $33
EWR On-Airport Daily Lots 24-hr maximum $24 (Lot P1/P3), $27 (Garage P4)
EWR On-Airport Long-Term Lots $18/day (3 miles away)
But EWR also has private lots for different prices.

Sanford has 9 car rental companies, but it is not going to have the mass transit facilities comparable to one of the largest airports in the country (MCO).

Allegiant flies the McDonnell Douglas MD-83/88 on this route. All jets are between 17 and 28 years old. And yes, there is only one flight per day, so you can't get on another plane.

I can certainly agree that it is not worth driving 80 miles each way to save $80, but what about for a family of four? Then you are talking $320. If you live on the west side of Newark airport it is less than 80 miles.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-08-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Actually parking at ABE is $22/day short term, and $14 long term. However, the airport is so small that long term parking is just a slightly longer walk. There are only two or three full size jets per day, and a few dozen small regional aircraft.

Sanford has 9 car rental companies, but it is not going to have the mass transit facilities comparable to one of the largest airports in the country (MCO).

Allegiant flies the McDonnell Douglas MD-83/88 on this route. All jets are between 17 and 28 years old. And yes, there is only one flight per day, so you can't get on another plane.

I can certainly agree that it is not worth driving 80 miles each way to save $80, but what about for a family of four? Then you are talking $320. If you live on the west side of Newark airport it is less than 80 miles.
What time of year are you going...big factor. Winter can produce weather that cancels flights..with the major carriers they try and get you out as fast as possible with Allegiant it could be DAYS before you can get a flight. Also have you looked at Allegiant's add on fees?? Fees for bags...fees to choose your own seat..go to their website as they have a long list of add on fees.

We've given our thoughts it's up to you to do what you think is best for you....

Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 AM

267 posts, read 352,397 times
Where are you going when you get to MCO? If it's Disney and your staying on property I'd go right to Orlando and then use the free Disney buses to get you to your hotle front door. They handle getting your luggage from the plane for you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey