Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,461,129 times

Advertisements

So I'm on a few email lists, and I often hear the question "does anyone know of a place that can store X boxes until I'm ready to move into a new place (mostly, on the hoboken list I am on). And i'm wondering - i have very little clutter in my house, my basement is empty. I could easily store boxes for people. Storage facilities are all well and good with climate control, insurance, and all the bells and whistles. But would you pay someone in NJ to just store it in their basement or attic, if it was neatly kept, off the floor to protect against water, etc? What would you pay, if anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,899,027 times
I would think less than the cheapest storage unit, which is what, 60 or 100 a month?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,247,343 times
I would be very hesitant to do this on both sides. Insurance is the first thing I would think about. What if my items got damaged? Who is responsible for that? And as the person offering the service I would have the same concern? I doubt someone's homeowners insurance would cover them for running a storage facility out of their house. Also, what types of items are people going to be storing? Perhaps things they didn't want in a public facility. I can think of a lot more reasons I wouldn't do this on both sides.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 AM

19,205 posts, read 25,478,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would be very hesitant to do this on both sides. Insurance is the first thing I would think about. What if my items got damaged? Who is responsible for that? And as the person offering the service I would have the same concern? I doubt someone's homeowners insurance would cover them for running a storage facility out of their house. Also, what types of items are people going to be storing? Perhaps things they didn't want in a public facility. I can think of a lot more reasons I wouldn't do this on both sides.

Speaking for myself, I would not entrust my possessions to someone who would merely place them in his/her basement. If I wanted to place things in storage, I would want them in a locked storage facility that was not subject to...inspection...by others.

But, beyond that personal preference, I believe that anyone trying to run this type of operation out of his/her home would be exposing themselves to potential legal issues (in the event of theft or damage), and would incur problems with their homeowner's insurance company if it was discovered that something like this was being done in the home.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,381,848 times
Like other people said, there could be insurance problems or just the fact that someone could get really angry if something happened to their stuff.

On a more casual basis, if you knew the person, you could do it. I used to let my next door neighbor, who rented a room in a house where everyone just rented rooms, store his extra furniture in my garage in exchange for him mowing my lawn.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 AM

51,271 posts, read 36,934,237 times
I would also think it would be a problem for them to have ready access to their stuff. With storage facilities, you get a key to the unit and can access it freely. How are you going to handle that part of it?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 9,008,603 times
This might work on a limited basis if you live near a college and some students want/need to store some stuff over the summer. But too many problems for mainstream storage customers.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM

53 posts, read 160,580 times
That's funny, there used to be a website called Homstie that was all about renting out extra space to friends. I listed a spare closet on there in 2008 and got a renter for $30/mo. It's basically going to need to be a discount from a simliar sized space at a local storage facility, mainly because of the insurance and access concerns that other posters touched on.

Here's more info about the company (sadly, it no longer exists): http://mashable.com/2009/03/12/homstie/

Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
yeah - the insurance issue is a concern. i would think it's an arrangement where you understood that your stuff is "at risk" moreso than in a storage facility. i was thinking of people who just want a few rubbermaid containers stored somewhere in between packing/moving. not like this would be a formal business venture. so is insurance the only thing that would stop you from doing it?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Like other people said, there could be insurance problems or just the fact that someone could get really angry if something happened to their stuff.

On a more casual basis, if you knew the person, you could do it. I used to let my next door neighbor, who rented a room in a house where everyone just rented rooms, store his extra furniture in my garage in exchange for him mowing my lawn.
exactly. obviously people would have to understand that my basement is not a locked climate controlled storage container. but it just seems like so many people on a few community boards i'm on are always looking for a place to put some stuff for short periods of time (a couple of months at most), but don't want to pay $60/month for a storage unit.

it was just a random thought i had. wanted to see what people thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: