Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 AM

10 posts, read 33,785 times

Advertisements

Hi every body;
My wife and I will move from Boston to Trenton NJ or its suburbs next month with our 2 daughters (age 4 and 7 year-old). I just get a job in south Trenton NJ. We will rent an apartment and max we can afford is $1200/month (this is the maximum). Can you please tell me a better place for kids in that area? I mean school, safety, shopping centers and so on. My job is over night so I leave my family alone. I had same rhythm here in Boston as well for 5 years but I never had any problem. Actually I have too many questions but sincerely I don't know how I can expose them. I am full time work, full time college (computer science major) and full time family. Any information concerning life style, cost of living, people, education..etc in that area is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
A quick note is that Trenton is also right on the river, meaning PA and its towns are next door.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
A quick note is that Trenton is also right on the river, meaning PA and its towns are next door.

Good point, I would suggest also looking in PA, Langhore may be a good fit with cheaper taxes and Apt offerings and some good schools

Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 PM

386 posts, read 871,939 times
You aren't going to find good schools in the immediate area around South Trenton (including Hamilton)

Eastern Hamilton is good/mediocre, but is not doable on 1200/mo.

Bordentown will be tough on 1200/mo.

Safety is an issue in Trenton (this thread would be a good place to ask those questions ).

Try Lawrence if you don't mind a commute.

Schools are less important than parenting, though. A degenerate at "The High" will be a degenerate at Princeton High. Stay on your kids through school, and they won't have a problem.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:27 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Schools are less important than parenting, though. A degenerate at "The High" will be a degenerate at Princeton High. Stay on your kids through school, and they won't have a problem.
Someone PLEASE sticky this quote at the top of the NJ forum. Well said!

Lawrenceville is a good option.

On the PA side of the river, Lower Makefield/Yardley is beautiful, not sure about the schools there. Morrisville is a dump.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post

On the PA side of the river, Lower Makefield/Yardley is beautiful, not sure about the schools there. Morrisville is a dump.
Lawrenceville is tough on 1200/month, though. South Lawrence (near the Top Road section of Trenton) might be possible, but still difficult.

LM/Yardley are average PA blue-collar towns with average schools. +1 about Morrisville.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,620 times
Quote:

yes, they might find options on the pa side, the yardley area is very nice! i agree with morrisville is a dump, literally, there are two wm landfills and one incinerator in falls township, just outside morrisville!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Consider living in PA to save $$ to send your children to private schools such as Lawrenceville Prep or The Hun later on.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM

L'ville Prep and Hun are overrated IMO. Also, if you don't come from wealth, your kids will feel out-of-place at these schools.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Quote:

OP is looking at 1200/mo

Neither Lawrenceville or Yardley has anything that low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey