Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:56 PM

113 posts, read 226,052 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC, looking to move to an urban area in the northeast or mid-atlantic thats alot cheaper. I'm considering Philly, Baltimore, Trenton, and some smaller PA towns...I know people think trenton is a dump, but is there really not a single affordable, somewhat safe (doesn't have to be perfect) area there?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
In short... NO !!

For crime or murders (I forget which, not that it matters) It's I think number 14 in the country...what else do you need to know ??

Old 02-03-2007, 01:11 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Trenton, unlike most small cities, has no "good" neighborhood or district to live in. However, the 'burbs surrounding Trenton are overall quite nice, very low crime, plenty to do. You would also be 45-60 minutes from Philly and 2-3 hours from Baltimore (depending on traffic). For affordability, Hamilton, East Windsor/Hightstown, and Burlington County are your best bets; just avoid the area of Hamilton immediately bordering Trenton.

If you are truly, truly set on Trenton, the best neighborhood in my opinion is the Mill Hill district, a series of brick townhomes at the very end of Rt. 33, where it meets Rt. 206. It is very clean, and they work hard to keep crime out. The buildings there are relatively new or been recently renovated and are really nice inside.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM

474 posts, read 1,260,385 times
Default Try The Trenton Suburbs

FORGET the city of Trenton! However, look at the adjoining areas--Hamilton, Lawrenceville, Yardville, etc. My brother lives in a nice family neighborhood in Hamilton and works in Trenton. It's just a few miles away; he can go home for lunch if he wants.

Lived in Trenton on and off most of my life. I wouldn't go down the street I grew up on now even in broad daylight. However, as stated, most suburbs are OK. Hamilton especially, but then that's the one I am most familiar with.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 PM

34 posts, read 131,971 times
Stay away from Trenton! I think they're averaging 3 - 4 murders a week now.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 PM

The house in South Trenton where I grew up and spent so much of my life is now a dump in a drug-infested neighborhood. Last December, 4 houses across the street were burned to the ground by a home made bomb being thrown into one of the houses at 4 am in the morning. I could not look at the pictures in the paper; it was too depressing.

It was a beautiful city--full of history. Do stay away; I wouldn't go there now in the light of day, let alone nightime. And live there? Someone could give me a house for free there and I wouldn't take it.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
The house in South Trenton where I grew up and spent so much of my life is now a dump in a drug-infested neighborhood. Last December, 4 houses across the street were burned to the ground by a home made bomb being thrown into one of the houses at 4 am in the morning. I could not look at the pictures in the paper; it was too depressing.

It was a beautiful city--full of history. Do stay away; I wouldn't go there now in the light of day, let alone nightime. And live there? Someone could give me a house for free there and I wouldn't take it.
Not sure if you're referring to the firebombing where the man and his 2 daughters, ages 6 and 7, were killed. If so, that trial just ended recently. Don't know all the details as I very rarely read beyond headlines anymore when it has something to do with the crime in Trenton.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,984 times
agree on trenton being a dump.

Thumbs up for Hamilton. They're working on adding new parking at the train station too... and there's a couple of cheap shuttles run by Hamilton from some of the developments to the train station, if you're still working in NYC. That's a pretty hefty commute, but a ton of people do it, so it can't be impossible.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Actually No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueSeraSera View Post
Not sure if you're referring to the firebombing where the man and his 2 daughters, ages 6 and 7, were killed. If so, that trial just ended recently. Don't know all the details as I very rarely read beyond headlines anymore when it has something to do with the crime in Trenton.
No one was killed in the fire I referred to. It just created an eyesore. I can remember the people who lived there 20 years ago but that's all different now. Heard it was related to some drug deal gone bad. There were about 50 people divided up into the four houses that were destroyed. And of course the neighboring houses suffered smoke and smell damage.

Hamilton is great. My brother lives there. The train station is very convenient to go to NYC. Schools aren't bad either.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Yes, Hamilton is nice. Was born and raised here, still living here. Would like to move out of Jersey altogether though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey