Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM

225 posts, read 725,343 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Am considering buying a home in Verona but have some hesitation due to what seems a lack of public transport. Need to commute to Hoboken. I know Verona doesn't have a train and that surrounding town (Montclair) does but has a long wait list (and is out of our price range for homes).

What would be the best option for train access if moving to Verona or would it be too difficult to drive somewhere and find parking?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,209,656 times
My neighbor lives in West Orange and drives to the Bay St. train station in Montclair every day. He parks in the daily parking spots and doesn't need a permit. I believe it's $5/day. He gets there around 8am. Another option would be to drive to Harrison and take the Path.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,172,137 times
The #11 & #29 buses go to Bay Street, where you can catch the Montclair-Bontoon Line. (See a map here) They also continue on to Newark Broad Street, where you give yourself the option of the Morris & Essex Line as well, though Bay Street is probably quicker most of the time.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 PM

225 posts, read 725,343 times
Thank you both.
Regarding the 29 bus, I don't see Bay Street as a listed stop. It appears to go from Verona to Montclair Center to Bloomfield Center. Will they make a stop at Bloomfield and Elm?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM

78 posts, read 129,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
Thank you both. Regarding the 29 bus, I don't see Bay Street as a listed stop. It appears to go from Verona to Montclair Center to Bloomfield Center. Will they make a stop at Bloomfield and Elm?
Sure, you can get off the bus there- then cross back over busy Bloomfield Ave and walk up the block to the train station. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a great idea. You need to give more info / times. Bus to train alone is already a pain. Add to that the fact that many of the Montclair area trains don't go to Hoboken, so you may be looking at a train transfer in Newark or Secaucus. When things like weather or other delays happen- it won't be fun. Also- only a small part of Verona is going to be walk-able to Bloomfield Ave, so you're either limiting where you can live- or you have to add in getting a ride to/from the bus every day. Verona's actually a great area-- but just think about the logistics of what you'd be dealing with.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,951,136 times
I would just take the bus to Broad Street Station less a hassle then dealing with the Montclair branch...

Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,172,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
Thank you both.
Regarding the 29 bus, I don't see Bay Street as a listed stop. It appears to go from Verona to Montclair Center to Bloomfield Center. Will they make a stop at Bloomfield and Elm?
They only list out the timepoints, but the buses stop every few blocks. There's a stop a block from the Bay Street station, and then a stop that's a block from the Glen Ridge station.

I'm just throwing it out there as an option. If parking by the Bay Street is $5 a day, then it's probably not worth the hassle of worrying about making the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I would just take the bus to Broad Street Station less a hassle then dealing with the Montclair branch...
It depends on how well the bus and train are timed with each other. But yeah, Broad Street would give you a little more protection as far as delays go.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,843,299 times
we currently living in Verona, lovely town. There's decamp buses going into the city from bloomfield ave. not sure if it stops at hoboken. I drive to work everyday.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM

7,070 posts, read 19,400,248 times
The DeCamp buses go to NYC and do not stop in Hoboken.

The bus from Verona to Broad St will take 45 min to an hour. It's very slow and stops almost every block through Montclair, Bloomfield, and Newark along the way. I really think you're better off driving to Bay St and getting a daily spot or taking the bus just the short distance to Bay St instead of all the way to Newark. Perhaps driving to Secaucus and catching the train there could work too (parking is more expensive though).

It's been a few years since I used the Montclair-Boonton line on a regular basis, but it didn't seem to suffer from any delays or once-in-awhile issues that didn't affect the other lines too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey