Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:25 PM

47 posts, read 153,707 times

Advertisements

We are considering a possible move to the area and are considering either Westfield, Nj or Rye, NY. We have visited and loved both. Can anyone tell me what the differences in the towns' vibes are? Would you say one is more friendly, down to earth than the other? We have 2 young children....Where would you rather grow up?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 AM

122 posts, read 479,945 times
Never been to Rye, NY but have lived in Westfield NJ for over 35 years and still LOVE it.
Great schools and shopping.
Good luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM

43 posts, read 209,516 times
Grew up in Westfield area, very good school system and the down-town is always on the rise - plus you're 45 from New York City, 1 hour from the beach, and near 2 major malls in Woodbridge. Extremely safe neighborhoods throughout. I think most Westfield adults are NYC commuters

Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,674,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
Grew up in Westfield area, very good school system and the down-town is always on the rise - plus you're 45 from New York City, 1 hour from the beach, and near 2 major malls in Woodbridge. Extremely safe neighborhoods throughout. I think most Westfield adults are NYC commuters
Courier News Online - NJ Transit plans Raritan Valley improvements

"During the last quarter of fiscal year 2007, there were 22,450 average weekday trips on the line, 5,700 Saturday trips (a 10.7 percent increase compared to the same period last year), and 4,100 Sunday trips, Stessel said.

Westfield in Union County was the busiest stop that year overall, with 2,261 average weekday boardings."

Yes, most Westfield adults are definitely commuters

I live in Westfield now (until I get some service done at my new house tomorrow), and I love it! I'd stay, but can't afford it. I don't know Rye, NY, but I do know Westfield... and its a fantastic place to live.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM

562 posts, read 2,616,075 times
yes.. Westfield is very nice.. but pricey.. if you can afford it, it'll be a good choice!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,577 times
We just moved to Westfield 3 weeks ago after having done a lot of research and visiting many towns in this area

Yes, it is expensive, but our main priorities were excellent public schools and useful walkable downtown. Good schools were easier to find than the kind of walkability we wanted. We have a 3 year old and another on the way (due January)there are plenty of activities and kids everywhere. Our neighbors have been so friendly, bringing baskets of goodies and visiting, asking if we need anything, introducing themselves. Everything is so close and convenient, the town is lovely. We don't plan on moving until our children have graduated high school, if ever.

I was concerned about the possible snob-factor I had heard of but have not encountered even a slight amount of that in all of our months and months of househunting and now living here. We live in a modest older house with a (comparably) small property, lots of charm everywhere.

It is a financial stress for us to live here since I will not be working anytime too soon, but worth the sacrifices we'll make--the savings on private school alone are going to be enormous.

Sorry haven't been to Rye NY.

Last edited by tiggywink; 10-29-2007 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: added something I forgot

Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM

47 posts, read 153,707 times
Default Westfield

Thanks, We certainly loved Westfield when we vsited....and Tiggywink I may be looking you up if we end up there! we have a soon to be three year old as well! Thanks again

Old 11-02-2007, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 57,530 times
Westfield is very nice, and very desirable, but very $$$$ for the home you get, IMHO.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:44 PM

18,476 posts, read 15,266,337 times
Yes Westfield is very nice. Rye is nice too. People mentioned Westfield as being an expensive town, but I think it is very reasonable compared to Rye.
I think the "snob factor" can be found in any affluent town but it can only bother you if you let it.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 PM

687 posts, read 3,253,077 times
I know nothing about Rye, NJ, but we enjoy Westfield. Great town, great schools, and if you're talking a million+ to buy a home, I'd absolutely go Westfield.

You can do better moneywise in NJ, but why bother? Westfield is a great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey