Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM

188 posts, read 191,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Well that's a stretch. Heston was speaking to an NRA convention just prior to the 2000 Presidential election and was making the point that the government can take away his guns when he's dead and that along as he was alive he would not give them up willingly. At what point does he mention the potential death of anyone other than himself?
Gun nuts crack me up, always trying to play it cute. On the one hand they love to make their implied threats then on the other hand they ask for proof.

They think they're clever but they're not fooling anyone because their insatiable need for more and more firepower, more weapons, more rounds, more "rights" to carry them anywhere, more insane laws to "stand their ground" any time they feel the least bit threatened along with their repeated implied threats make them living proof.

I grew up in Western Pennsylvania where every kid got a 22 rifle for their 12th birthday. I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti-gun nuts carrying more firepower than cops and the average grunt in the military. There are limits on all rights but the gun lobby and the NRA insist there be no limits on 2nd Amendment rights and that's just nuts. If you doubt that too, just look at this short list of the results we're achieving by failing to place sensible limits 2nd Amendment rights.

A Timeline Of Mass Shootings In The US Since Columbine | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,824,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
My forum name IS my real name. So what. My address/phone# on the other hand I am more protective of.

BTW, LOVE the stroller!!! Too bad my kid is about to be 6. Maybe I'll get him an armored PowerWheels with a gatling gun linked to his helmet reticle.
you cant just say "so what" about one piece of the post. you clearly would care if a newspaper posted a list of all our names, addresses and phone numbers. it just seems hypocritcal for people to take a position that its fine because its public info when i doubt they would appreciate being put in the spotlight themselves for doing something legal.

i guess if this kind of stuff can easily happen to people who go through the legal process to obtain a gun, maybe its better to get a gun off the books.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM

291 posts, read 391,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Ok, then let's start publishing the names and addresses of the following:

Personal Bankruptcy filers
Food stamp recipients
Welfare recipients
SSDI recipients
Medicaid recipients
People losing their homes to Sheriff's sale
Unemployment benefit recipients
People committed to mental institutions by order of a judge (temporarily or otherwise)
People who have filed for divorce
Death certificates (with cause of death, suicide, etc...)
People receiving early intervention services from the state for autism, aspergers, and other childhood developmental disorders

I'm not talking about in the back of the paper in 1/2 point font where some of this stuff is listed already. I'm talking about in an article on the front page. Just because something is a public record doesn't mean it's a good idea to widely publish it
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
can't you just blow them away if they harass you?

This post says it all.

Public information does not mean what it did thirty years ago. Do we want to live in a country where we can put a mouse cursor over a house and have all of the above information pop up in a window. (How about adding children and ages too)

It's one thing to have certain information available at the count hall of records. It's another to place it on a sign in front of their house. The answer lies somewhere in between.

The other point is the branching out by newspapers. They are protected under the First Amendment as being the press for doing press activities. Since when did they become online libraries and is that action just as protected?

Maintaining an online database of people's affairs (public or private) has nothing to do with reporting news, and it shouldn't be protected under the same umbrella.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,093,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
When we relocated from NJ to NC 10 yrs. ago, it amazed us how just about everyone here has a minimum of 1 gun and a permit to carry in their car. I am always taken aback when a Serviceman, ie. (Sears, HVHC etc.) walks into our home with a gun strapped to their waist. True story! When my h applied for work at a Major Home Improvement Store, the 70+ HR grey haired lady told my husband "you can't bring your gun to work, you have to leave it in your car". When my h told her he did not have a gun her reply was "you better, you never know who is going to **** you off". So it really would not make a difference putting anyone's name in the newspaper here, you are the exception if you don't have a gun.
Why would he need a gun if someone was going to j*rk him off?

Old 05-05-2022, 07:24 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,070,044 times
I couldn't resist to bump this thread. It's almost 10 years ago, these journalists published their angry article and by a twisting irony, they received a taste of their own medecine by a guy named Christopher Fountain posted the adresses of the newspaper employees who was forced to hire private security. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jo...ap_controversy

Old 05-06-2022, 06:47 AM

23,636 posts, read 17,318,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
can't you just blow them away if they harass you?
irresponsible and ignorant quote

Old 05-06-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I wouldn't care if my child had a playdate in the home of someone who had filed for bankruptcy or was a Medicaid recipient.... but I most certainly would care if he had a playdate with someone who had a gun in the home. It is, and should be, public record, so whats the big deal? Lots of things get put in the paper, including delinquent child support parents and court petitions.... no one makes a stink about those.
You would be hard pressed to find a playdate for your child.

gun ownership through the roof in Nj and elsewhere. Go to your local police station and not the pile of firearm id and permit to purchase a pistol application are stacked inches thick in the in basket. Though the state is moving to online applications, you still need to go to the police station to pick up your approved permit and FID. see the stack they search through to find your permit!

you might encourage your local schools to teach gun safety for young children so if they encounter some friend who plays with parent's firearms they know what to do. The NRA offers such a program. fire safety, health , say no to drugs, CPR, driver's ed taught in schools.... why would you not want to keep your child safe given the proliferation of firearms?????

Old 05-06-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
Aren't these the same folks who are always announcing how proud they are to be law abiding gun owners? So what's the problem with publicizing their status as gun owners? They should be thankful and proud to have their law abiding gun owner status publicized. It's public information anyway. Right?
Publish the names of Trump supporters! they support MAGA....the worst terrorist group in american history! where does it end?

the publishing of names is clearly intended for harassment.

there is no justification to subjectively decide what groups should have addresses published other than harassment.

Remember when the adored Cuomo as NY AG threatened to publish the addresses of the AIG execs who received bonuses as stated in signed contracts? Speaks ill of the person who showed signs early on of abusing his office. Image the NY AG threatening to release their addresses! Why would he consider the release of their addresses a threat???????? BECAUSE HE KNEW IT WOULD RESULT IN HARASSMENT!

Do you know where very public official in your town resides?

Publish the addresses of vets with PTSD?

Stolen firearms are a plague!

Look up any town or state and search on "guns stolen" and be amazed.

So now the left is aiding in the proliferation of illegal firearms by providing addresses of gun owners much as the state hatchery publishes trout stocking locations.

Left logic assumes a gun owner will never go on vacation, never leave to home to shop or work or visit friends or take the dog to the vet. Never will adults leave young kids alone inthe house or after school before parent s get home from work.

Use your firearm for self defense in NJ and see what happens. Brandish, show your firearm to a prospective perp and be charged with brandishing. 'Shoot it in the air' as advised by Biden to scare away a perp and be charged with aggravated assault. firearm in plain view when having relations, possible rape charge.

So let's see more irresponsible comments about gun owners using their guns to defend against thefts brought on by publishing addresses when obviously they are huddled in their rooms clutching their bibles and firearms, never leaving their home.

the anti gun owners are cursed, child-like, with the inability to see the consequences of their dangerous proposals.

The addresses provide the terrorists and gang members murphy and biden have dispersed and baited to NJ to get free firearms when the car leaves the driveway.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:31 AM

88,819 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
irresponsible and ignorant quote
Weird rebuke to a deceased woman.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:44 AM

19,175 posts, read 25,442,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Weird rebuke to a deceased woman.
And, you're surprised because... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey