Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 27,175 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
We are young couple currently living in Newport, Jersey City in one of the high rise buildings since 2 years. We both enjoy this peaceful neighborhood and its short commute to midtown where we both work. Unfortunately, increasing rental costs, high parking fee/insurance costs is making it impossible for us to own a car and plan for investments/property. We are reaching out to you for alternatives to newport neighborhood. I am listed our requirements as mentioned in forum guidelines:

Quote:
1. Where are you coming from?
Ans. Newport, Jersey City
Quote:
2. Why are you moving?
Ans. Very high rental/parking/insurance costs. Most of all we would like to save more for investments into property.
Quote:
3. Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Ans. Midtown, Manhattan
Quote:
4. Will you buy or rent?
Ans. Rent
Quote:
5. What is your budget ?
Ans. 1BHK with a budget of $1800
Quote:
6. What kind of place are you looking for ?
Ans: 1 Bedroom Hall Kitchen. Peaceful family oriented neighborhood. Short commute(30-45 mins) to midtown, manhattan. Place where I can easily own a car without worrying about parking.
Quote:
7. Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Ans. Spouse
Quote:
8. Do you need/want good public schools?
Ans. No
Quote:
9. Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Ans. Peaceful family oriented neighborhood. Short commute to midtown, manhattan. Place where I can easily own a car without worrying about parking.
Quote:
10. List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Ans. Safety, Short commute to Manhattan, preferably free parking
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 AM

Anything ?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 AM

88,641 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Maybe Rutherford? There are apartments right by the train station, and the commute is not bad.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,234,584 times
Free parking and a 30-45 minute commute to Midtown is very difficult in a decent neighborhood. I think the new development by the PATH station in Harrison might be worth looking into, as would Secaucus, assuming those are your two priorities. Neither town is terribly attractive otherwise, but they both have easy parking and short commutes, and they're not dangerous or anything.

You might look into the new developments along the waterfront in Weehawken, West New York and Guttenberg, or the older houses and apartment buildings on top of the Palisades in those same towns. They have relatively short commutes to Midtown by bus or ferry. Parking is probably not as easy as in Secaucus or Harrison, but it should at least be easier/cheaper than the Jersey City waterfront or Hoboken.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,189,385 times
Or buy a single family house with driveway in Jersey City.. prices AND rates all time low (I am not a Realtor)

Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all your replies. Can you give more details on new development near weehawken. What are some rentals in this area that match my criteria.

Quote:
You might look into the new developments along the waterfront in Weehawken

Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 AM

How about Weehawken, Port Imperial and North Bergen ?

How are this neighborhood's like ? What is the commute time to midtown manhattan ?

As mentioned above, My priority is a short commute to manhattan and ability to own a car. Will "Weehawken, Port Imperial and North Bergen" match my criteria? Please suggest.

Quote:
5. What is your budget ?
Ans. 1BHK with a budget of $1800

9. Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Ans. Peaceful family oriented neighborhood. Short commute to midtown, manhattan. Place where I can easily own a car without worrying about parking.

10. List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Ans. Safety, Short commute to Manhattan, preferably free parking

Last edited by satishsuru; 01-13-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM

596 posts, read 896,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satishsuru View Post
Hello Everyone,
We are young couple currently living in Newport, Jersey City in one of the high rise buildings since 2 years. We both enjoy this peaceful neighborhood and its short commute to midtown where we both work. Unfortunately, increasing rental costs, high parking fee/insurance costs is making it impossible for us to own a car and plan for investments/property. We are reaching out to you for alternatives to newport neighborhood. I am listed our requirements as mentioned in forum guidelines:
Why not Jersey City Downtown near Grove? This was until a year ago, but I rented a one bedroom apartment for $1300 a month. This was only 5 minute walk from Grove Street station. It was family oriented quiet part of downtown and parking was very easy.

I sometimes go to Newport, but I often wonder why people like these new highrise buildings. Everything is so franchisey with no character. Of course, it's just one man's opinion, but I much prefer historic downtown with brownstones.

Atsushi

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,251,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satishsuru View Post
How about Weehawken, Port Imperial and North Bergen ?

How are this neighborhood's like ? What is the commute time to midtown manhattan ?

As mentioned above, My priority is a short commute to manhattan and ability to own a car. Will "Weehawken, Port Imperial and North Bergen" match my criteria? Please suggest.
Hate to break the news but answer is no to all. If I recall, Port Imperial 1bedroom rental is about 2000-2500 a month for 1 bedroom and you'd need to get light rail then take path which is two separate monthlies.

N.Bergen you can find 1bedroom for 1800 but it'll be up on the cliff and probably not the most flattering area which is away from what you were seeking. Also you'd be taking the bus, not path unless you drive or live right near by.

Reality is rental prices are extremely hot and due to it's continued increase, some people are finally deciding to buy instead of rent (one driving force for uptick in the residential RE currently)...also people are moving out of NYC and to places like Newport, Hoboken and are willing to pay 2000-2400 for a bedroom therefore driving folks like you out and meeting the demand of suppliers.

Fact that you save on NYC income tax is big enough motivators for some folks in NYC to move to NJ side even if they have to pay the same price.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,735 times
Maybe Hackensack is a good choice? When I lived there I went to Manhattan by bus and it didn't seem long at all. Keep in mind I was a teenager going for leisure. Its pretty close to NYC, and has some nice neighborhoods. You can rent a nice 1brd with your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey