Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 151,025 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from out of state and I am thinking about moving to one of the high rises in JC, near the PATH stations (Pavonia/Newport or Grove St). Is it possible to street park in these areas with the NJ permit? Will I have to pay for a garage parking fee at my apartment? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
I'm moving from out of state and I am thinking about moving to one of the high rises in JC, near the PATH stations (Pavonia/Newport or Grove St). Is it possible to street park in these areas with the NJ permit? Will I have to pay for a garage parking fee at my apartment? Thanks.
Street parking is extremely limited in those areas, especially Newport. You'll have to register your vehicle in JC and then get a zone permit for $15/yr. Monthly parking in a garage in Newport will run you about $250/month. The lots and garages near Grove St. may be a little cheaper.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to fork over the $200/month for parking at the apartment garage.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Reminds me of during the 1980's that whole area of JC was literally nothing, a few abandoned warehouses , 6 ft high weeds and you could park almost anywhere free all day long. The Pavonia PATH station was just an open gate in a fence, very few signs. I used to park practically in front of the station, free, hop on the subway and be in the city in minutes. Obviously "things" sure are different around there now.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Jersey City & other large Urban Cities are discouraging use of Cars , so they charge alot to park. They want you to use the Wonderful and ever growing Rail / Bus network , which most ppl do anyway since its often less stressful.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:33 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Whereswaldo, the only reason you'd need a car is if you were NOT working in Jersey City or NYC.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I do not want to drive my car into the city to commute every weekday. I thought there wasn't any free parking available near PATH stations either, so I wouldn't be able to drive from another neighborhood and park and go. I might as well live in the area and pay a bit extra for a shorter commute and all its amenities.

So far I've tried looking at all the ways to commute into NY and it seems to me that PATH trains are the best way to get into the city. I know people take buses from other neighborhoods to commute to the city, but I hate traveling by bus and I don't trust them. (Won't the roads be packed during rush hour? Accidents that could cause delays?)

Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 AM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Yeah I've also always preferred trains over buses, all else being fairly equal. Anyway, in the Newport area you're probably looking at roughly 190-200/month for parking. There are a couple buildings which are mostly owner-occupied and come with designated parking for them. I've seen a few owners rent out parking for a bit less than the commercial garages - check out craigslist or DM me.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
The real answer is that "they", whomever "they" is, should make it easy and even FREE to park near a PATH station. That would make the most sense and allow people to get to work, etc. Makes too much sense for NJ and JC. I've always said there should be a free parking garage right next to one of the stations and be done with it.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM

7 posts, read 50,967 times
My family regularly visits my sister-in-law who lives in one of the high-rise apartments in Newport. While you can park in some streets during the weekend or outside of certain hours in some streets, pretty much the problem is during the week. At a parking garage nearby, they charge $25 for a 12-hour period that starts at 12 midnight to 12 noon. So if you happen to park at 10 at night and stay 10 hours into the next day, you will be charged the fee for 2 hour of "regular" parking plus the full $25 for the next day. I had to learn this the hard way when we were there one Friday evening and parked till the next day. Of course I did not pay attention to the fine print. I just wanted to park the car close by so we can rest for the night after a long trip from Virginia.

We are thinking of asking my sister-in-law to register for the zone parking (even if we have to pay for it) but she does not have a car. Will JC or Newport (or NJ in general) allow signing up for zone parking if you do not have a car? OF course the reason is for her to make sure that her visitors have a place to park (if they can find one) when in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey