Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,961 times

Advertisements

I am looking into purchasing a fairly new construction townhome with 3 bedrooms. Union county is where I'm looking (Union twp, Cranford, Kenilworth, Clark, Westfield) and possibly Edison. Does anyone have any info for what the Liberty Village Townhomes are like (Union Twp). Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM

605 posts, read 2,149,066 times
Just make sure whatever townhome you look at to check for noise issues. As I know from personal experience, your happiness can be based on the behavior of your neighbors.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,761,280 times
I'm currently in a townhouse and HATE it because of my adjoining neighbors. If I knew it would be this bad I would have never signed the lease. From lack of proper garbage storage by neighbors, things being stolen from my patio, neighbors guests parking in my assigned spots, guests parking behind my vehicles blocking my exit, loud music until well after midnight, debris from sandy still littering common areas and the playground, a GIANT pothole that cannot be avoided without crossing into the oncoming lane causing huge delays just exiting/entering the complex, knocked over mail boxes that I am told I am not allowed to fix myself or erect my own but have to continue allowing my mail to get soaked every time it rains until they get to it, to finally complaining to community board of trustees that agrees that these violations of the rules are intolerable yet do nothing to enforce them. At least, there has been no change for the last two months I have been complaining.

The police have been called about the noise issues and theft but it doesnt stop anything. The town says its private property and they are not responsible for garbage collection, maintenance of the roads or cleanup of the common areas.

If I still get no-where at the public board meeting in January I will be moving again. 8 more months until the lease is up... never again...<sigh>

Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 PM

19,147 posts, read 25,371,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I'm currently in a townhouse and HATE it because of my adjoining neighbors. If I knew it would be this bad I would have never signed the lease. From lack of proper garbage storage by neighbors, things being stolen from my patio, neighbors guests parking in my assigned spots, guests parking behind my vehicles blocking my exit, loud music until well after midnight,

+1

Quite a few years ago, I owned a unit in a condo community, and my thought on this topic is that condo living is decent IF everyone in the community complies with the rules.
I experienced all of the issues that I highlighted above, and those issues made my condo experience...not pleasant.

The reality is that a large percentage of the people in any given condo community will not readily comply with the rules and regulations, and that failure to comply just makes life miserable for those who do comply.

Once I was able to buy a home of my own, and to rid myself of the curse of condo living, I moved.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:12 AM

256 posts, read 399,308 times
Hmm...I was pro condo living, but after reading the last 2 posts I am left wondering now. How common is the experience of having bad neighbors in condo living and if you have a bad neighbor can't you do something about it legally?

For example, neighbors who do not properly throw away their garbage can be required to do it correctly no?

Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,371,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
Hmm...I was pro condo living, but after reading the last 2 posts I am left wondering now. How common is the experience of having bad neighbors in condo living and if you have a bad neighbor can't you do something about it legally?

For example, neighbors who do not properly throw away their garbage can be required to do it correctly no?
Unless the condo association is willing to go to the expense of installing security cameras in every trash disposal area, nobody is likely to know who the specific offenders are. My experience, and that of my friends, is that some residents--of unknown identity--like to place greasy paper bags of wet trash on the floor of the garbage disposal rooms, rather than lifting the lids of the trash containers and properly stowing the garbage.

My friend, whose unit is adjacent to a garbage disposal room, constantly finds bones, rice, and other food-related waste strewn on the floor of the room, and--of course--this leads to insect infestations and it attracts rodents. All that the management company can do is to post signs reminding people to dispose of their trash properly, but those signs have had absolutely no effect.

Even recycling is a problem. All residents are told to cut up large cardbound boxes, and to tie them into bundles for pickup, but many residents simply throw extremely large boxes in the garbage disposal rooms, and when that room is filled (to the point where it is almost impossible to get to the trash containers), they just leave their cardboard boxes on the lawn adjoining these rooms. Then, if rain & wind come into the picture before recycling day, these large cardboard boxes wind up all over the place.
There are specific (clearly marked) containers for plastic and metal recycling, but some residents persist in throwing these recyclables into the trash containers, thus mixing everything together in a huge mess.

As to parking, you have to bear in mind that the police have no interest in this issue inside a condo community. The result is that visitors--whose cars are difficult to identify as to where/whom they are visiting--will frequently take the reserved parking spaces of residents. While they are usually gone within a few hours, it is not uncommon for residents to have to park remotely and walk a longer distance to their units, simply because some of their neighbors are not supervising the parking of their visitors' cars.

So--in answer to your question...Yes, residents can be required to follow the rules, but identifying/catching the actual offenders is difficult or impossible. The result is that the presence of a few pigs can destroy the quality of life for the others who do follow the rules.

Condo living can be very nice, IF everyone follows the rules.
Unfortunately, human nature is such that you are always going to have some folks who refuse to follow the rules.

Caveat emptor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey