Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM

453 posts, read 1,741,975 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else get their love letter from Cablevision that, effective 7/31, you need to install their antiquated digital cable boxes on every TV in the house to get anything more than "Broadcast Basic?"

With five TVs in the house, this means adding more three boxes if I want to catch the Yankees in one of the bedrooms. As a come-on, they are giving them to you "for free" for one year then whacking you with the rental charge of $6.90 per month per box after a year.

Not mentioned in the letter is a price increase on the service itself, changing from the old Family Cable plan ($58.95) to what is now the Value Plan. ($64.95.)

No multi-room DVR capability, no Media Manager, a seriously obsolete user interface (the HD DVR still gives you the option to copy to your VCR.) If I could switch to FIOS I would, but it's not available where I am.

Very annoying.

Rhys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,938 times
I didn't receive any message yet but I don't have any TVs without a box. I agree with everything you've said. I keep harassing Verizon to get a move on it and get FIOS here!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
I did not receive this letter.

About 3 months ago i bought the latest Tivo model with an extended warranty and lifetime service for $600. Its the way to go since it replaces the cable box entirely and you save $11 a month it costs to rent a DVR receiver. The interface and features are so much better and you will make your money back in 4.5 years.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,526 times
Cable boxes have been required since the networks went all digital. Comcast changed over at least a y6ear ago. Cablevision must really behind the times.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM

I've been a happy TiVo user for the past six years, sticking with a lifetime subscription on a Series 2 box. That box cannot be used with HDTV, so I would have to change to Premiere.

I could not agree more that their interface is light years ahead of Optimum Online's Scientific Atlanta (now Cisco) cable box. I was pretty close to just switching that over and using a cable card.

What bothered me about it is this. You're spending a lot of money for the following:

1) A box that has already been out a few years, and may be subject to rapid technological change. You have to buy their box plus pay a fee to use it however long it lasts. You are in effect stuck with yesterday's hardware, as I was.

2) Frankly, TiVo could easily go out of business. A few years ago everyone had a BlackBerry. Now RIM is on life support.

As much as I dislike these cable boxes, they have you over a barrel. At least if it dies, you get a new one, and if they completely change, you're not locked in.

I really wish Cablevision would work something out with TiVo and ditch these stupid CISCO boxes.

Rhys

Old 07-03-2012, 11:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Surprised they are making you pay for the boxes. When Comcast went all digital, you got two of their "DTA" converter boxes for free. If you needed more then that they were something like $1.99 or $2.99 a month per additional box.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
you're not really over a barrel. you do have choices, no?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Just satellite; FIOS is not available on my street for some reason. They installed conuit for Fiber Optic but never installed it. The local triple play is okay for the other services, but I just wish the TV device and interface was smaller, better, and less costly to rent. In the age of the iPad, these are pretty clunky devices.

Supposedly they do this because they can add far more channels when you are forced to rent a box than not. Given the choice, I'd ditch about 75% of those channels if it meant a lower monthly bill.

Rhys

Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Just satellite; FIOS is not available on my street for some reason. They installed conuit for Fiber Optic but never installed it. The local triple play is okay for the other services, but I just wish the TV device and interface was smaller, better, and less costly to rent. In the age of the iPad, these are pretty clunky devices.

Supposedly they do this because they can add far more channels when you are forced to rent a box than not. Given the choice, I'd ditch about 75% of those channels if it meant a lower monthly bill.

Rhys
go with directv!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM

323 posts, read 575,253 times
we are fools ,today we pay for tv that has just as many commercials as when we had tv for free

thats capitalism for ya ,all you need is a bunch of dumb Americans ,me included
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey