Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM

42 posts, read 81,401 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are deciding on selling our home this spring. And i was wondering if i should list it with a broker or do forsalebyowner.com

I know there are pros and cons with both. honestly I cannot see giving 6% for someone who just comes over and shows my place. I understand that they do generate foot traffic. but at such a hefty price we would be taking a greater loss than what we orginally paid for it and any modifications we did put into it. I know you cannot get back everything you put it, and we realize there is a deprecating value as well as people preference. We are not trying to over price our home and have a good idea on what some of the homes sold for in the area.

I guess my real question is has anyone heard or have had sucess with forsalebyowner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Are you going to pay a buyer's agent if they bring in a client? If not you are going to eliminate a majority of buyers.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM

the buyer's agent i believe is a given since it is 3% but my ultimate goal is to cut out the middle men and the buyer can have thier home inspector come out to look at it and we can get our lawyers to finalize the deal. i figure if the 6% wasnt in the way then my asking price could also be lowered

Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,986,311 times
Many agents will cut the commission to 5%. So if you're already paying 3% for buyer's agent, you aren't really saving that much. I'd personally use a realtor, but spend the time to make sure you have someone that you'll work well with.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 PM

249 posts, read 825,467 times
If you live in a desirable town and neighborhood, take a month, maybe even two and try to FSBO. You certainly are timing the market right. Spring is in the air and activity has picked up. Advertise on Craigslist and get it on the MLS with a forsalebyowner website and advertise the buyer's agent commission.

Depending on the area, there may be limited inventory. I'm running across this searching for a particular buyer who only wants a certain neighborhood. I'm searching FSBO and Craigslists looking for anything to sell them.

Also, beware of buyers who'll try to lowball you because you aren't using an agent.
Good luck!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM

thank you Kekee. We are in Westfield We do not have high expections on trying to overprice our house we do know what the realistic value is but we would like to keep most of what we list it for in our pocket, We are going to be looking for a new house so the more we can keep the easier it will be for us

Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greys138 View Post
thank you Kekee. We are in Westfield We do not have high expections on trying to overprice our house we do know what the realistic value is but we would like to keep most of what we list it for in our pocket, We are going to be looking for a new house so the more we can keep the easier it will be for us
Keep in mind the buyer is also going to want to "keep that money in his pocket". They are going to come back and say since you aren't paying commission the house price should be reduced.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM

I would be willing to negotiate nothing wrong with that but from looking at the MLS site and what is available in my area i still think that i will be below what most houses are asking for in the area

Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM

11,358 posts, read 16,723,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greys138 View Post
Westfield, NJ???

Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM

249 posts, read 825,467 times
Greys, I'm curious as to why your Westfield home will be below what most houses are asking. Are you sure you're asking enough?

Another option you may want to consider is to go to to premier Westfield agency (the one that has the most listings) and ask for an exclusive listing agreement and pay a very reduced commission. Realtors from only that agency will be able to sell it (to get a commission) but it may work to get you more money than you think.

My broker does this a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: