Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,025,651 times

Advertisements

Westfield? That place is city-data nj forum oasis. I see no reason why you cant sell it on your own.

Do a fsbo....
List on craigslist
list on fsbo.com
pay flat fee to list on mls
pay 2.5% buyer commision. Make sure you indicate that in the listings

Price accordingly to neighborhood. Negotiate accordingly, but do NOT drop your pants becuase you arent paying a seller commish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,703,604 times
If you are selling it yourself make sure to do the following, in order:

-Get a professional appraisal from a licensed professional(this will cost money). Then compare to recent SALES in the area, not active listings(active listings are wishful thinking, sales are reality). Set your price.
-Staging, most experts will advise taking as much as 50% of furniture out of each of room. This makes rooms look bigger. (Getting a storage locker to put the stuff in is ideal, at the very least move it to the basement or garage). Take down most, if not all, family portraits/pictures.
-Clean your house spotless( if you don't have a maid now is the time to invest in one, weekly)
-Rent/borrow a high end DSLR camera. Canon 5D, 7D or Nikon D8000/similar. You want a wide shot so the lens should be a 16mm-35mm lens, set right in the middle at about 22mm-24mm. Play with the lighting(open/close blinds, turn on/off lights) so that your pictures don't look washed out or too dark.
Take lots of pictures, but only post the best 10 best. You want to encourage people to come see it in person not try to show your entire house.
-Get your home listed on MLS. This will cost money, about $500
-Make sure that when on mls it filters through to sites like Zillow and Trulia. If not list it on there directly.
-offer a buyers agent commission of at least 2.5%
-Get a combination lock box with a key in it for your front door. This will allow agents to show your house when you are not there. Have agents leave their card so you can follow up with them to get feedback from them and the buyer. always get the broker's full name, company and phone number before giving them combination to lockbox. (try to get license # too)
-Make sure the house is clean and always ready to show.
-Make sure you are gone when other agents are showing the house. (The exception here is an open house or if the prospective buyer is not working with an agent)

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 03-13-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,846,645 times
A selling agent does more than show your house. They will market your house. I have no idea if you need an agent or not. It's certainly possible to sell it on your own. You will have to negotiate the deal yourself. You should hire a real estate attorney. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,123,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greys138 View Post
thank you Kekee. We are in Westfield We do not have high expections on trying to overprice our house we do know what the realistic value is but we would like to keep most of what we list it for in our pocket, We are going to be looking for a new house so the more we can keep the easier it will be for us
1) Definitely get an appraisal. Your idea of a fair price and an actual fair price may be two different things. You are not objective about your own house. Nobody is.

Furthermore, an appraisal done for you now will give you an idea of what a buyer's bank appraiser is going to come in at. That is important, because in most cases you need the home to appraise high enough to justify a mortgage. Appraisals are defensive and conservative right now. You don't want to face a situation where you negotiate a deal, get past the home inspection issues, and have the deal fall apart because of a low appraisal.

2) Asking prices in your neighborhood are irrelevant. Closed sales are all that matter. Price your house to the closed sales, not the active listings.

3) If you are buying in the same market area as you are selling, most listing agents will reduce their commission even further if you agree to let them represent you on the buying end. You could end up at 4-4.5% which would reduce the savings over doing it yourself to very little in the final analysis.

4) If you are in Westfield, you probably have an older home. Be aware that home inspections of even the most well preserved homes usually turn up a lot of problems, and buyers are super picky right now and definitely enjoy re-negotiating the price when the inspection comes back with a laundry list of present and soon-to-be problems. Beware.

5) If you have an underground oil tank, you have to remove it before you sell the house. Period.

6) Professional photography is a must. The highest price comes from the most buyers being interested at the same time. If your pictures are "average", many buyers will not even schedule an appointment.

7) Most buyers know you are paying a reduced commission and will expect to pocket some of the savings. Remember, you are not paying the commission, the buyer is. Home prices in an area that is dominated by agents reflect and include the prevailing commision rate. Since you don't face that expense, many buyers will expect a 2.5-5% discount from market value. Buyers without agents representing them will want 5-6% off. I'm not saying you should give it to them, but they are going to try. Especially in Westfield, where the typical buyer is pretty well informed.

Other than that, give it a try if you like. You might save a few bucks. Or you might pull your hair out. There is a luck factor in selling any home. Some people sell horrible homes in 2 weeks. Others cannot get rid of beautiful homes without months and months of work.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM

42 posts, read 81,735 times
Thanks everyone for the constructive feedback. I will begin with getting everything up to par then have a home inspector come in to take a look. that way I know what i would have to focus in on.
The house was built in the 80's and fortunately there is no underground tank.
My wife was along the same lines as decluttering and moving alot of our items in storage.

@kekee:From what we saw there were a few houses that were priced a bit high and they have not moved. We ideally dont want to price way high and constantly adjust. So we are trying for a happy medium where we feel that anyone looking at the house would think it is a fair price. The exclusive listing maybe something we can look into.

@tonystarks: I know i see so many postings about westfield. and i know this is where a lot of people want to be.

@TDstyles and Marc Paolella: thank you guys that was very informative I will be sure to use this information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: