Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM

13 posts, read 30,625 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was just wondering if anyone lived near route 3 in Rutherford. Not directly facing it, but near enough to hear the traffic. Was wondering what your experience was like. Is it something you get used to? Have you tried to sell a place in this area? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM

513 posts, read 1,168,611 times
It's probably the same as folks who live very near busy Route 17 or Route 46 or Route 23...it can be very challenging at times. The traffic can back up at mid-day as well as at rush hour. I would certainly think that selling a home near the highway is close to impossible.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,817,497 times
I lived on Park Ave by Rte 3. If the apt faces the highway, (Marginal Rd) it's very noisy. If it faced Park Ave it was much quieter. I wouldn't buy a house facing Rte 3; too much traffic (trucks) and noise.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM

292 posts, read 719,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
It's probably the same as folks who live very near busy Route 17 or Route 46 or Route 23...it can be very challenging at times. The traffic can back up at mid-day as well as at rush hour. I would certainly think that selling a home near the highway is close to impossible.
23 is not at all like 17 or 46, 23 has traffic hour traffic that lasts longer than average, but not in the mid day.

I would not live by Route 3, too many trucks and therefore, pollution.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM

13 posts, read 29,618 times
Aren't they in the process of building a sound barrier wall along route 3 in the Rutherford/Lyndhurst area?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,609,714 times
Haven't been past that way in a while but the State NJDOT was planning to add another lane each way as part of rebuilding the old drawbridge over the Passaic River.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM

40 posts, read 140,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Haven't been past that way in a while but the State NJDOT was planning to add another lane each way as part of rebuilding the old drawbridge over the Passaic River.
Who knows anymore with the construction there. I avoid that area like the plague. Between the poor quality of the roads, the construction and all the traffic. I've learned to just take back roads and side streets to get around it. Of course on a saturday after noon all the side streets in Clifton and Nutley are a mess too.

Back to the op. I have friends who live in the greater Rutherford/Carlstadt area. Very congested area and you will hear the highway but it turns into white noise over time. During football season the traffic is a major disaster. However some decent restaurants and bars also in the East Rutherford/Rutherford area near the Rutherford train station. It has a nice little downtown area.

As for the noise, I'm in Bloomfield only a few blocks from the parkway and on a quiet night you can hear the parkway very clearly but most of the time it just blends in to the background noise.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 AM

99 posts, read 478,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursdays View Post
Aren't they in the process of building a sound barrier wall along route 3 in the Rutherford/Lyndhurst area?
Yeah Many nice homes along Rutherford Avenue and Marginal Road in Rutherford that face Route 3 will eventually have a great view of a concrete wall instead of a bustling highway That will certainly bolster their resale values

I don't live there, but can't help but feel sad for those homeowners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey