Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM

32 posts, read 166,945 times

Advertisements

In defense of ohsosavvy, this individual sees daily the problems that the community has. Union City has the problems that go along with any urban district, and teaching there unfortunately affords you the opportunity to hear and see most of the "bad". For example, there have been gang altercations in front of Edison School in the past, one time involving the DDP (Dominicans Don't Play) and (I believe) Latin Kings...Where I personally had to make sure our students stayed in the school yard until we could chase the aforementioned morons away. You wouldn't know this unless you were one of the officers responding, or a teacher working at the school. So while I agree, the Lenox is probably a great place to live...And, I personally love Union City (it's a great town with some wonderful people!). Ohsosavvy sees another side to the city that many of the newly arrived working professionals do not.

Ohsosavvy was off on the total school population of Edison School, however at one point, not too long ago, the school did have upwards of 1,600 to 1,800 kids, before Jose Marti Middle School opened a few years back. To be fair, the individual that pointed this out was a bit off on their measurement...Hoboken is 4 blocks and a elevator ride down the Palisades (or a long walk down the 14th street viaduct). Sorry, I just thought the math statement was a cheap shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,083 times
Well being from Union City and aware of the areas I am going to try to be unbiased. It is a wonderful location close to NYC. Public Transportation is very close and not out of the way. Downtown UC has alot of gang activity and is considered "less desirable". If you have faith that all of us poor Latinos will be kicked out of our beloved neighborhood by condos like the Lenox then I guess it would be considered an investment. But just a tip if your white or a hipster and are in Union City everyone will know you live in a new condo hardly anyone from UC can afford and know your part of the gentrification....not a good thing. Many people are becoming aware of the attempts to move us all out and are not too happy...Good luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM

11 posts, read 39,221 times
I took a visit to Lenox during President's day.

Previous poster right on par with the dog crap all over the sidewalks.

I did see the raggedy housing by the FineFare supermarket as previous poster had mentioned. Section 8 or not? I didn't bother to ask.

But a block away I did see what looked like 2 new contruction buildings. Looked like 8 units or less.

I was not impressed with the interior of the Units. Fixtures and such looked cheap. The pictures in the
advertisements looked much much better. Same with the lobby. Not very impressive in person.
Neither was the doorman who looked like a 17 year old high school girl who was chatting up some guy.
I could have walked right passed them and they wouldn't have said anything.
However I didn't know where the sales office was so I stopped to ask.

On a plus, looked at the 1 and 2 bedrooms and they did seem very spacious.

The agent took me to different levels. Seems like you will get a decent view above floors 8 and up.
Be warned that if you are on a lower floor you will hear ALOT of street noise if you a facing away from the
NYC direction toward Central Ave. I was in a 4th floor unit with all the noise. If you face towrd New York on
the lower floors than you will see roof tops and get the noise from the parking lot below.

TAXES.... well they are only offering a 5 year tax abatement and its pretty stingy at best.
The first year you pay 20% of the full amount. Year 2 40%. Year 3 60%. Year 4 80%.

Just take a look at this link and you'll see a breakdown of the tax and commons fees.
The Lenox Availability - Emil Ratti (http://www.bcnjre.com/The_Lenox_Availability/page_1834611.html - broken link)

All in all i was unimpressed.

Hopefully the people who did buy these condos did not pay the list price.

Last edited by slaggy; 03-02-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: formatting incorrect URL

Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,979 times
Smile slaggy & gentrification for losers...............you sound like a couple of little old angry losers

All in all I was impressed when I was at the lenox. I would ask these two bums if they could find other residences in the surrounding areas for these prices, views, sq ft and ammenities....................and I know the answer would be........ YOU CANT!!!!!!!!!! My daughter just purchased a studio...a 567 sq ft studio for just a little under $190,000. If you go on the web or on cl you can see that people are selling 1 bedrooms in hoboken(which is only 4 blocks away) with 0.........thast right 0 amenities(no parking, elevators,gym,concierge services). I thank the the lenox for bringing gentrification to the area.............give it 4-6 years & I know that we'll get a hadsome return on our money.

GO LENOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM

555 posts, read 617,113 times
I went to look at these condos today and the apt's are very nice, the building still needs work and there are still low-income tenants living there so this project is about 1 year from completetion. I did like the apt but the area is a lil sketchy to me. I am 24 yrs old and i am lookin to move out and buy something in a decent area. any recommendations? i have a good amount of money saved, my budget would be 250k max for a 1 bedroom.

I would like close to NYC, thoughts on Journal square area? any help is appreciated as i am very new to this. Harrison ave? i saw some condos listed there.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 49,256 times
I'm actually closing on my unit soon and am pretty excited. I agree that the area is a year or 2 away from being a little more desireable, but lets face it, at their price point i doubt you could do better anywhere else...

It's very close to the city and if you're lucky enough to have an apartment on a high floor facing the city, your investment is bound to pay off at some point in the future.

I don't know what GentrificationIsForLosers is ranting about. Since when is gentrification a bad thing? Why hate on other people making progress in their lives?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:31 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,733 times
The last place my wife and I seriously looked at buying in this area was The Lenox right when it was first being converted. We went so far as to work out what our payments would be. We ended up ditching out of it because there was some mysterious charge in the payments that seemed to keep increasing as time went on, so that after five or six years, it would have been impossible for us to afford the payments any longer unless we someone managed to both have a large increase in income. And this was on the 30-year FIXED mortgages--it wasn't an ARM or anything like that. We kept requesting the exact payment amounts until that charge stopped increasing, and the financial guy at the Lenox seemed to keep getting more evasive and vague. (I know less about this than my wife, since I hate dealing with financial/business stuff pretty much, while that's what she does for a living, but even she was confused about it.)

Otherwise, the neighborhood didn't bother me (as should be expected by anyone who knows my views), but a couple other things did bother me a bit more: One, it would have been more of a chore to commute back and forth to work than it is for us at the moment (we have to commute to Manhattan), and two, we kept seeing roaches, mostly dead, but BIG roaches (like I haven't seen since I lived in Florida), and in a building like that, as huge as it is, it's not going to be easy to completely get rid of them.

The condos seemed fairly nice . . . the windows in the living rooms sure are impressive, and if you're higher up, you have great views. But, I still can't get over the prices in this area--it always seems like way too much to me for what you're getting (compared to what you can buy in other locations that I'd actually prefer to live for many reasons--like in more rural areas out west), but they also seemed short on storage space (which is a big problem for me), I think most of them only had one bathroom, etc.

The bottom line is that I don't regret on passing on the condo, but if the Lenox financial guy had been more straightforward (and the payments per month would have remained reasonable), we probably would have bought there. We came pretty close to it.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaggy View Post
Neither was the doorman who looked like a 17 year old high school girl who was chatting up some guy.
That I wouldn't mind . . . I'm actually pretty uncomfortable having a doorman at all. Reminds me too much of "gated communities" with their little guard houses, and I hate that idea.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 27,270 times
Default The Lenox Condos, Union City New Jersey (My 2 Cents)

Consider this... We all know that Hoboken has gone through a considerable boom over the last five years. With condos on Manhattan Ave in Union City Over looking Hoboken going for $700-900,000, a 5 year tax abatement and the current pricing, its creating the perfect storm in the area to buy. Give Union City another few years and it will prove to be a great investment in my opinion...

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

11 posts, read 39,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by versace5000 View Post
All in all I was impressed when I was at the lenox. I would ask these two bums if they could find other residences in the surrounding areas for these prices, views, sq ft and ammenities....................and I know the answer would be........ YOU CANT!!!!!!!!!! My daughter just purchased a studio...a 567 sq ft studio for just a little under $190,000. If you go on the web or on cl you can see that people are selling 1 bedrooms in hoboken(which is only 4 blocks away) with 0.........thast right 0 amenities(no parking, elevators,gym,concierge services). I thank the the lenox for bringing gentrification to the area.............give it 4-6 years & I know that we'll get a hadsome return on our money.

GO LENOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uhhh you sound like a sales rep from the Lenox.

Anyhow as I had stated in my previous post.

Look at the amount of tax you must pay.

The Lenox Availability - Emil Ratti (http://www.bcnjre.com/The_Lenox_Availability/page_1834611.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey