Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times

Advertisements

Why do so many cars in NJ have those gold police shields in the windshield. What does that represent? Do you have to be a police officer to have it, and what is the point of putting them in civilian vehicles? Seems like every other car has one so they can't possibly all be police officers. I have not seen this anywhere outside NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
If it looks like a Police shield chances are it's a police officer or family member (I've seen some officers give the to friends) and they are a PBA or FOP member. If the shield is oval in shape then it's most likely an associate FOP member. I've seen FOP shields all over the country.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 AM

265 posts, read 597,191 times
Seems to me that these and the PBA cards should be illegal.... do some people get to speed and have a "get out of jail" card?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.mensch View Post
Seems to me that these and the PBA cards should be illegal.... do some people get to speed and have a "get out of jail" card?
You obviously wouldn't say that if you had 1 or 2 in your wallet!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.mensch View Post
Depends on the officer who pulls you over. Some will give you a pass but take the card, some give a pass and let you keep the card and some get pissed that you are trying to get a break by giving them a card. I have a PBA card and a leather drivers license holder thing with a metal police shield with the badge number in it from one of my best friends who is a cop in NYC but I've never actually used either of them when I've been pulled over. Never gotten a ticket either *knocks on wood* so I think it entirely depends on the cop. It also depends where you have the card from and where you get pulled over. For example, if you hand them a PBA card from NJ in Alabama they'll probably write you an extra ticket

It also depends what you get pulled over for - they're not letting you off the hook for any major offenses with a PBA card.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Depends on the officer who pulls you over. Some will give you a pass but take the card, some give a pass and let you keep the card and some get pissed that you are trying to get a break by giving them a card. I have a PBA card and a leather drivers license holder thing with a metal police shield with the badge number in it from one of my best friends who is a cop in NYC but I've never actually used either of them when I've been pulled over. Never gotten a ticket either *knocks on wood* so I think it entirely depends on the cop. It also depends where you have the card from and where you get pulled over. For example, if you hand them a PBA card from NJ in Alabama they'll probably write you an extra ticket

It also depends what you get pulled over for - they're not letting you off the hook for any major offenses with a PBA card.
IF YOU HAND A PBA CARD TO MOST POLICE OFFICERS OUTSIDE OF THE NJ AREA, YOUR PROBABLY NOT GOING TO GET A BREAK. MOST P.D.'S in the country are FOP. In fact, if your a police officer in the NJ metro area and get stopped down south, your chances are pretty good that you'll get a summons.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
IF YOU HAND A PBA CARD TO MOST POLICE OFFICERS OUTSIDE OF THE NJ AREA, YOUR PROBABLY NOT GOING TO GET A BREAK. MOST P.D.'S in the country are FOP. In fact, if your a police officer in the NJ metro area and get stopped down south, your chances are pretty good that you'll get a summons.
Story my friend (the cop in NYC) told me:
A NYPD officer was pulled over for speeding in Florida and the cop gave him a ticket, knowing he was cop. When he got back from vacation he sent the info of the officer who gave him the ticket to all the surrounding units. Every time they pulled over a cop from Florida they said "thank officer so and so for this ticket". Needless to say the Florida ticket was dismissed pretty quickly.

Now, is it right that as a cop you get a pass? No, but it happens and I thought that story was quite amusing in regards to how they stick together.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Story my friend (the cop in NYC) told me:
A NYPD officer was pulled over for speeding in Florida and the cop gave him a ticket, knowing he was cop. When he got back from vacation he sent the info of the officer who gave him the ticket to all the surrounding units. Every time they pulled over a cop from Florida they said "thank officer so and so for this ticket". Needless to say the Florida ticket was dismissed pretty quickly.

Now, is it right that as a cop you get a pass? No, but it happens and I thought that story was quite amusing in regards to how they stick together.
I was in law enforcement for 30+ years. When I first got on the job the "THIN BLUE LINE" and "PROFESSIONAL COURTESY" was alive and well. As the years progressed, "NOT AS MUCH". Am I saying that there is no longer professional courtesy? Absolutely not. Am I more likely to get a summons now than 35 years ago? Absolutely! Is it more likely for another police officer to write over one of my PBA cards now? Without a doubt.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
It helps you get off from receiving a ticket. I had one around 10 years ago and I got stopped. The cop let me go, but took my shield.

In the mail police depts. send you donation mailings and they promise to send you a shield if you donate the $$$.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
It helps you get off from receiving a ticket. I had one around 10 years ago and I got stopped. The cop let me go, but took my shield.

In the mail police depts. send you donation mailings and they promise to send you a shield if you donate the $$$.
You will absolutely, positively "NOT" get a shield for donating to the PBA. You may get a decal with the the PBA local number on it with the word donor, but never a shield. By the way, where did you get the shield from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey