Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,427,252 times

Advertisements

w/ some of the bad reps that a lot of police officers/state troopers get for handing out tickets and all the blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda, I thought I'd mention and say a Big Thank You to the 2 state troopers that helped me yesterday.

I was driving on 517 south coming from Hackettstown when I got a flat tire. I pulled over to the side of the road just before the route 80 west/east jct and tried to change my flat tire when I realized that my truck was too "low" and that no matter where I placed the jack it wouldn't bring the flat tire up because I couldn't get right underneath where I need it to be. To make matters worse I didnt' have my cell phone so I was stranded until a stranger stopped and offered to call for help, 2 state troopers showed up and they tried to lift my truck up as well, they were trying to be very helpful (mind you, it was raining and it was cold, yet they still tried to help me) Finally we decided to call triple AAA and were waiting for it to show up when another tow truck service guy just happened to drive by and stopped and asked if we need it help, it took him not even 10 mins to lift my truck, change the tired. I offered to pay him but he refused and simply said, "Pay it forward".

So again, a big Thank you to all of those that helped me, the initial stranger who stopped and called the state troopers, the 2 state troopers that tried to help me and to the tow truck guy who stopped and changed my tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,373,489 times
Wow - that's a great story, Alex.

Definitely shows that there is still some kindness left in some people - and perhaps, some holiday spirit, too.

Glad you got the help you received, especially from such helpful and kind strangers.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Wow - that's a great story, Alex.

Definitely shows that there is still some kindness left in some people - and perhaps, some holiday spirit, too.

Glad you got the help you received, especially from such helpful and kind strangers.

Indeed, w/ the recent news about people been run over by shoppers, the india bombings and the teen who commited suicidie live on the net, it's nice to see some good people are still out there.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,832,787 times
And another thing this story helps debunk is the national stereotype that New Jerseyans aren't helpful, they're rude, etc. I am really tiring of that $hi*. Great story Alex.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
And another thing this story helps debunk is the national stereotype that New Jerseyans aren't helpful, they're rude, etc. I am really tiring of that $hi*. Great story Alex.
Mike, We (NJ'sians) just don't help those who think we're rude & obnoxious, which tends to be people from out of state.

By the way, now all I've been thinking is what can I do to pay it forward, I don't want to do the "donate to charity" thing, instead I want to try to help an individual in need.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,766,162 times
Great story....have patience your "pay it foward" will happen when you least expect it

Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 AM

315 posts, read 1,092,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Great story....have patience your "pay it foward" will happen when you least expect it
i totally agree. you will know it when it happens. you don't have to go looking for it. and paying it forward doesn't necessarily mean money. you may just meet someone who touches you, and you know you want to help them. or you rescue an animal from the middle of the road. or you carry out an elderly person's groceries and help put them in their car, etc.

i'm glad that there are people out there who are willing to help someone in need. especially in these trying times.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,337,152 times
Wow that is great Alex. NJ people are truly the best. I am glad that you are ok too.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,911,804 times
Thumbs up Men & Women in Blue

Wow that really is a great story. Thanks for sharing it, esp. on this forum with all the lurking cop-haters.
Raining & cold & they still stopped to help you. Nice.
Tow truck driver too. Cool really cool.

How about a sending a nice letter to the troopers barracks? Did you get the name of the tow company? Just suggesting an idea. I'm big on letter writing & giving thanks on paper.

There are many good people out there. Sometimes we don't find them until we really need them.

Points & thumbs up & salute to the Men & Women in Blue in NJ

Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,359,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Mike, We (NJ'sians) just don't help those who think we're rude & obnoxious, which tends to be people from out of state.

By the way, now all I've been thinking is what can I do to pay it forward, I don't want to do the "donate to charity" thing, instead I want to try to help an individual in need.
Wonderful story and so glad you shared it.

Just think you will have plenty of snow this winter... you can shovel an elderly or disabled person's walkway. I know that would go greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey