Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 PM

8 posts, read 22,410 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Las Vegas, NV

Why are you moving? Better long-term career opportunities, much closer to family, better universities to try to get into if I went to graduate school.I feel that Las Vegas is not the best place for me in the long term for many reasons.

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Anywhere in the Northern NJ area. I would be living in LODI, NJ.

Will you buy or rent? Would be living in my previous residence with my grandmother in LODI, NJ for a few months.

To give a short background on myself, I am originally from LODI, NJ. I moved to Las Vegas 3 and a half years ago to live with my dad and go to UNLV. I definitely could've picked a better university, but that's in hindsight now.

Fast forward to now, and I'm a senior. I'm looking to graduate in December of this year(fingers crossed.) Also, I'm studying Management Information Systems(BSBA), and expect to graduate with a 3.1/3.2ish GPA.

So now I have my dad telling me to start looking for jobs. So now I come to a possible major life decision choice #2: To move back to NJ or not.

I feel that Las Vegas doesn't have much to offer to me right now. There aren't as many jobs as there is back east. I wouldn't want to settle down in a place like this. So I have a few questions:

How hard do you think it would be for me to find a decent job out there and/or live on my own in an apartment?

I haven't been able to find an internship. Do you think I would be able to get one after I graduate(if I moved.) or if I even should attempt to look for one?

What do you think? Any tips or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoX View Post
Where are you coming from? Las Vegas, NV

Why are you moving? Better long-term career opportunities, much closer to family, better universities to try to get into if I went to graduate school.I feel that Las Vegas is not the best place for me in the long term for many reasons.

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Anywhere in the Northern NJ area. I would be living in LODI, NJ.

Will you buy or rent? Would be living in my previous residence with my grandmother in LODI, NJ for a few months.

To give a short background on myself, I am originally from LODI, NJ. I moved to Las Vegas 3 and a half years ago to live with my dad and go to UNLV. I definitely could've picked a better university, but that's in hindsight now.

Fast forward to now, and I'm a senior. I'm looking to graduate in December of this year(fingers crossed.) Also, I'm studying Management Information Systems(BSBA), and expect to graduate with a 3.1/3.2ish GPA.

So now I have my dad telling me to start looking for jobs. So now I come to a possible major life decision choice #2: To move back to NJ or not.

I feel that Las Vegas doesn't have much to offer to me right now. There aren't as many jobs as there is back east. I wouldn't want to settle down in a place like this. So I have a few questions:

How hard do you think it would be for me to find a decent job out there and/or live on my own in an apartment?

I haven't been able to find an internship. Do you think I would be able to get one after I graduate(if I moved.) or if I even should attempt to look for one?

What do you think? Any tips or advice?
I was just reading my Sunday Star-Ledger on the train ride in this morning and happened to leaf through the jobs section. I noticed that there are more jobs under the heading of "computer" than anything else. I don't know what it's like in Vegas, but from what I hear generally, not good, and as we all know they are the lowest of the low with the housing-market issues in this country.

So, maybe do some perusing of what is out there to help you get a feel for whether you'll have a better chance in Jersey or not. I'm not technologically savvy myself, other than being a basic user, so I don't know exactly what type of work your degree would qualify you to do.

New Jersey Local Jobs - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: