Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times

Advertisements

i think there is a difference between 2 and 3 kids sharing a room. Also age and sex could be a consideration. I don't know the laws though.

My wife and I have discussed living in our 1 bedroom condo (it does have a "sleeping nook") with 2 kids up to a certain age.

times sure have changed. It seems like kids don't share bedrooms anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
According to this, the size of the apartment isn't a problem, but if the children are not of the same sex it may be:

New Jersey Housing Occupancy Limits: How Many People is Too Many? - New Jersey Real Estate Attorney Blog

Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
This doesnt explain much
Quote:
Generally, children of opposite sex cannot share a bedroom with each other or an adult.
generally... what about not generally? and starting at what age?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 PM

22 posts, read 80,739 times
Yeah Joe moving this has been my concern too. The info I found sometimes seems vague or not applicable in every circumstance etc... As far as I can tell from a variety of sources is that children who are not of the same sex may not share the same room either at any age or after 18 months depending on which article I read. Also children must not share a room with the parents at any age or after 18 months again depending on the source. Also the rooms that are shared by same sex siblings must be at least 120 sq ft. It seems like these rules are too strict. I understand not wanting 3 families sharing an apartment but not allowing a 4 year old girl share a bedroom with her 2 year old brother???
We are not in a position to buy right away and I hope our family of 3 will be allowed to live in this very spacious apartment without breaking the 'law'! : )

Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
I think it depends on the complex as well - how many people do they allow under the lease? Where I live the 2 bedrooms are the largest apartments (they are in townhouse style, around 1300 sqft) and they will not let more than 2 people share a room. Max is 4 occupants, including children.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i didnt realize the law regulated this sort of thing. my older brother has an apartment in manhattan that doesnt even have one "legal" bedroom. they have one daughter and they stuck her in their "bedroom" and they sleep in a loft area on a mattress on the floor. my wife always asks how they will have another child there and i say "that in nyc, people manage to have lots of kids in small spaces. you do what you have to do."

i know an employee living in brooklyn had him, wife, mother in law and 2 kids living in a one bedroom apartment. i doubt that kind of thing is very uncommon there.
When I lived in Brooklyn, I shared a 1-bedroom with my mother, father and two brothers. 3 of us slept in the living room and 2 slept in the bedroom. I never heard of any law saying it was illegal. I think there's some kind of rule saying that if you don't have 1.5 rooms per person, it's overcrowded (I don't know how many rooms the apartment technically had. We had a living room, bedroom, dining room, kitchen and bathroom, but I doubt the kitchen and bathroom count), but overcrowding isn't illegal.

I don't know what the rules are regarding children of opposite sexes sharing a bedroom, but I doubt there's any official law. Maybe if you're applying for Section 8 they regulate who can sleep in what room, but you're not going to get arrested or fined or anything for having the wrong arrangement of people.

I find it amazing that on these threads, some people allocate one bedroom for each kid and accept no less. What ever happened to the good ol' days when kids shared a bedroom? Even in the present-day, I'm sure our situation is pretty common all over NYC (this was only 7 years ago)

Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
floor plan says 1920 sq. ft
That should not be included in the living space calculations. Does it have a den besides the two BR's?

Oddly enough, the methods of calculating square footages varies and there is no set method for doing so. But using any method, it's living space only. Unless the basement was finished, it should not be included.

Here's some info on that area:
Realty Times - How to Calculate a Home's Square Footage

Towns may restrict occupancy by ordinance solely for the reason of the cost for schooling the renter's school age children without the benefit of the collection of taxes on the larger structure.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

328 posts, read 1,049,191 times
If it's temporary, I wouldn't worry too much about it. No one is going to throw you in jail because you had 3 kids sharing a bedroom for several months. I don't know about the rental apartments but if you found someone privately renting the townhome style condos (i think they were Pike Run Woods), I know they all have either 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms + den/study (which could be used as a bedroom) or 2 bedrooms + loft (which could be used as a bedroom).

Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
The lease will almost certainly list the number of occupants. Call the complex and explain how many people you want to move in.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 20,248 times
i live in new jersey and i live with my mom in a 2bdroom apartment and im trying to get custody of my two nieces which is currently in dfys care and im wandering will that be allowed. i will give them my room and i sleep in the living room on the pull out couch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: