Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,524 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am currently working in Parsippany but have recently moved to Hoboken to live. I am looking if anyone can help me find an optimal after work commute route. I am originally not from NJ, and don't know the highways THAT well... and my GPS is not my best ally when it comes to finding an optimal route. The commute to work is fine because I leave super early and get to the office before 8 am, but the way home is AWFUL.

I have only been doing this commute for a couple of days but I am convinced I need to find a new way. I took 80E to 280E (exit 17A) to 1&9 (construction!!) to 139 and then I'm in Hoboken. Does anyone have any other advice? What if I leave work later, say 6PM, will that make a difference? Which roads to avoid? ... any help is appreciated, I'm desparate!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,253,724 times
No matter what you try, the commute will be horrible and best you can do is shave maybe 5-10min tops even if you try all the various routes.

Only exception is if you do some serious flexhour and leave the office early at say 3pm or earlier, or quite late like 7pm or later. Even then it's still hit or miss due to city bound traffic...listening to traffic channels for bridge/tunnel will give you a good idea on how bad.

This is from personal experience of a friend and myself. I commuted from Edgewater to Parsippany daily for 3 years and done several drives from Hoboken to Parsippany giving ride to my coworker. That very same coworker commuted from Hoboken to Parsippany daily for 6 month trying all sorts of routes and flexhours before finally giving in and moved to Morristown.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM

506 posts, read 1,957,928 times
My husband does this exact commute. I know he follows the GPS quite blindly but manages to come out ok. He takes the 80 to 280.

He leaves home at 7 AM and is usally in the office within 45 minutes. He tries to leave the office by 5 PM as often as possible, and is usually home by 6 PM (give or take 15 minutes depending on the day of the week or weather).

ETA: Not sure if 45-60 minutes is what you're also coming out at and looking decrease that time. If so, I can't be of any help but will definitely continue to follow this and see if I can find a better solution for DH!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

51 posts, read 130,581 times
The route you're taking is probably the best distance wise. It's the one I always take to get to 80 from Hoboken (and vice versa).

Holland tunnel traffic can be a killer at rush hour (as can Lincoln tunnel and GW bridge traffic) so no matter which way you go, the commute won't be a breeze.

Here are four other options- neither of which are ideal, but will give you alternatives:

1) 287 S> 24 E > 78 E/Holland Tunnel - It's going to add some miles to your trip, but I've found 24/78 aren't as heavily traveled as 280/80

2) 80 E > 95S > exit at Lincoln Tunnel/495. You probably will be able to avoid any GWB traffic as you get off on 95 far enough in advance, but I'm not sure how bad the traffic is on the 95 ext at that time

3) 80 E > exit 53 (Route 46 E) > 3 East > 495. This route seems most prone to backups due to accidents in my experience.

4) 80E > 17S> 3E > 495 A slight variation on the above, but again, route 17/46/3 are disrupted pretty easily so there could be times where you're stuck..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 28,752 times
Hi - have lived in Hoboken for about two years now, and, in fact, commute from Parsippany and East Hanover. After much poring over the map and trial-and-error, have found this to be a fairly consistent way to get home during the evening rush hour - normally around 45 minutes. BTW - I generally take this route from Wednesday to Friday (when the B&T crowd clog the lower 139 going into NYC via the Holland Tunnel. I find that taking 280 - 7 - lower 139 - Jersey Ave. is just fine Monday's and Tuesday's and even sometimes on Wednesday. The map here shows the route via the upper 139.

Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ to Hoboken, NJ 07030 - Google Maps

Old 01-27-2012, 07:58 PM

36 posts, read 110,314 times
horrible commute you have. anyway you can move?

Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 PM

292 posts, read 719,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marina17 View Post
Hi all,

I am currently working in Parsippany but have recently moved to Hoboken to live. I am looking if anyone can help me find an optimal after work commute route. I am originally not from NJ, and don't know the highways THAT well... and my GPS is not my best ally when it comes to finding an optimal route. The commute to work is fine because I leave super early and get to the office before 8 am, but the way home is AWFUL.

I have only been doing this commute for a couple of days but I am convinced I need to find a new way. I took 80E to 280E (exit 17A) to 1&9 (construction!!) to 139 and then I'm in Hoboken. Does anyone have any other advice? What if I leave work later, say 6PM, will that make a difference? Which roads to avoid? ... any help is appreciated, I'm desparate!
I-280 and I-80 is your best bet. You are doing the reverse commute on these roads.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,957,584 times
Dude give up use the train it's faster use it to orange for NJT 79 to parsippany the bus is free to rail monthly pass holders. Morristown line is your friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey