Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times

Advertisements

I've been investigating these as well. I heard that one of these towns has a larger hispanic population. Which one is it?

I already live in a 90% hispanic community and trying to move away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I've been investigating these as well. I heard that one of these towns has a larger hispanic population. Which one is it?

I already live in a 90% hispanic community and trying to move away from it.
Perth Amboy but it's pretty quiet actually considering it's a city.

But why do you want to move away from a Hispanic community?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Perth Amboy but it's pretty quiet actually considering it's a city.

But why do you want to move away from a Hispanic community?

Because I am hispanic and I've lived in a hispanic community all my life. Pretty sick of it. I feel like I live in central america. You can't even speak English to people here anymore and my husband isn't hispanic so it's very difficult for him to communicate in the area and why should he have to learn Spanish.

The people that are moving in are more and more undesirable. There's more violence, more crime, and more nasty attitude. I just want to live in a more peaceful area. DOn't mind if there are hispanics, but I don't want it to be the majority.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Because I am hispanic and I've lived in a hispanic community all my life. Pretty sick of it. I feel like I live in central america. You can't even speak English to people here anymore and my husband isn't hispanic so it's very difficult for him to communicate in the area and why should he have to learn Spanish.

The people that are moving in are more and more undesirable. There's more violence, more crime, and more nasty attitude. I just want to live in a more peaceful area. DOn't mind if there are hispanics, but I don't want it to be the majority.
Meh. who am i to point the finger? Im Hispanic as well and although I live in Perth Amboy I don't want to live in a place where Hispanics make up the majority. In fact I really don't like to live in a place where any race is the majority it gets really boring really fast.

OP you should try Woodbridge it's really diverse, also Edison is pretty diverse, has some Hispanics but they're def not the majority plus there's a large Asian population, as well as whites and blacks everybody really. Also try Sayreville.

South Amboy has probably what you're looking for however but the majority of the population is white and is a much smaller town so unless you have a problem with living an almost all white town (although it's getting diverse) it should be just fine.

Best of luck to your new home. God bless.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM

293 posts, read 720,022 times
Quote:
Meh. who am i to point the finger? Im Hispanic as well and although I live in Perth Amboy I don't want to live in a place where Hispanics make up the majority. In fact I really don't like to live in a place where any race is the majority it gets really boring really fast.

OP you should try Woodbridge it's really diverse, also Edison is pretty diverse, has some Hispanics but they're def not the majority plus there's a large Asian population, as well as whites and blacks everybody really. Also try Sayreville.

South Amboy has probably what you're looking for however but the majority of the population is white and is a much smaller town so unless you have a problem with living an almost all white town (although it's getting diverse) it should be just fine.

Woodbridge is kinda moving towards the same direction as Perth Amboy. Of course, this will take some time. When I first moved here, Hispanics were just a few and scattered around Woodbridge Proper. However, in the last ten years or so the Hispanic population has ten folded. After 9/11 a lot of Hispanics moved from NYC to Woodbridge and during the same period of time the declining school system in Perth Amboy pushed Hispanic families to purchase homes in Woodbridge which had a better school system at the time.

But all things considered, I would prefer Woodbridge or Edison rather than Perth Amboy. Why? For the same reasons as the OP expressed in her initial post. Although I'm Hispanic (whatever that means), I couldn't live in a Hispanic community. Lots of people have the misconception that because we are Hispanics, we want to live in an environment that resembles a predominant Hispanic culture.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:19 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Woodbridge is kinda moving towards the same direction as Perth Amboy. Of course, this will take some time. When I first moved here, Hispanics were just a few and scattered around Woodbridge Proper. However, in the last ten years or so the Hispanic population has ten folded. After 9/11 a lot of Hispanics moved from NYC to Woodbridge and during the same period of time the declining school system in Perth Amboy pushed Hispanic families to purchase homes in Woodbridge which had a better school system at the time.

But all things considered, I would prefer Woodbridge or Edison rather than Perth Amboy. Why? For the same reasons as the OP expressed in her initial post. Although I'm Hispanic (whatever that means), I couldn't live in a Hispanic community. Lots of people have the misconception that because we are Hispanics, we want to live in an environment that resembles a predominant Hispanic culture.
I don't think it was 9/11 that induced all of these new Hispanic residents to flood Northeastern New Jersey (btw, I'm half-Hispanic). I think subprime was the major culprit, and the apex of subprime just happened to coincide with 9/11. I noticed the same thing happen in Elizabeth in the early 2000's. Changed the entire complexity of that city.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:

She may have some problems in Sayreville.........regarding her ethnicity.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
She may have some problems in Sayreville.........regarding her ethnicity.
I have friends who are hispanic living in sayreville. i never heard them say they had a problem living there because they were hispaniic.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM

293 posts, read 720,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
I don't think it was 9/11 that induced all of these new Hispanic residents to flood Northeastern New Jersey (btw, I'm half-Hispanic). I think subprime was the major culprit, and the apex of subprime just happened to coincide with 9/11. I noticed the same thing happen in Elizabeth in the early 2000's. Changed the entire complexity of that city.
Even though the subprime mortgage issue started sometime in the year 2000, it was not until the year 2003 that this problem was at its full swing. Here in Woodbridge, at least, there was a real transformation of population after 9/11. A lot of Dominicans from Washington Heights decided that maybe the city wasn't as safe as they thought it was. Same thing can be said about many Puerto Ricans and some Colombians that ended up here from the Bronx and Jackson Heights, Queens. And as I mentioned it before, many Hispanic families living in Perth Amboy also made the move because of the many issues with the school district. Therefore, the change was.....let's just say quick and noticeable.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I have friends who are hispanic living in sayreville. i never heard them say they had a problem living there because they were hispaniic.
Well I don't look like your stereotypical hispanic female and my married last name is quite a common American name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey