Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,169 times

Advertisements

My wife and her sister have acquired a business in Millville. So, it looks like after 20 years here in Ohio, we are relocating to Millville (both families).

We already have found a place to live. I'm aware of the housing costs, taxes and all that happy stuff. So, those are not questions I need answers to.

What I am interested in are opinions from folks that live there. Basically, how do you like it? Is it quiet? Is it hectic? Is the traffic bad? Are the schools decent? Is the town emerging? You know, just basic stuff like that, nothing more than general conversation.

We're moving with 5 total kids. Twin girls both 6. A boy 4. And another set of twin boys, both 2-1/2.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,825 times
I personally do not live in Millville so i cant tell you much about the people or traffic or how its like to live there. I do know that its an Abbott school district. Its a special designation in New Jersey regarding state funding. It is not a good thing. The worst cities and towns are likely to have this designation. Here is the list of cities and towns in New Jersey that are Abbott Districts. As anyone on this forum will tell you, none are desirable towns to live, although i am sure there are ok neighborhoods in each town, its not good as a whole
Asbury Park Public Schools (Asbury Park)
Bridgeton Public Schools (Bridgeton)
The City Of Burlington Public School District (Burlington City)
Camden City Public Schools (Camden)
East Orange School District (East Orange)
Elizabeth Public Schools (Elizabeth)
Garfield Public Schools (Garfield)
Gloucester City Public Schools (Gloucester City)
Harrison Public Schools (Harrison)
Hoboken Public Schools (Hoboken)
Irvington Public Schools (Irvington)
Jersey City Public Schools (Jersey City)
Keansburg School District (Keansburg)
Long Branch Public Schools (Long Branch)
Millville Public Schools (Millville)
Neptune Township Schools (Neptune Township)
New Brunswick Public Schools (New Brunswick)
Newark Public Schools (Newark)
Orange Board of Education (Orange)
Passaic City School District (Passaic)
Paterson Public Schools (Paterson)
Pemberton Township School District (Pemberton Township)
Perth Amboy Public Schools (Perth Amboy)
Phillipsburg School District
Plainfield Public School District
Pleasantville Public Schools
Salem City School District (Salem, New Jersey)
Trenton Public Schools (Trenton)
Union City Board of Education (Union City)
Vineland Public Schools (Vineland)
West New York School District (West New York)

Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I don't live there, but am familiar with it. It's not really the greatest area, if you had posted earlier people may have suggested nearby towns instead of Millville itself. It seems to be on the local news a lot for petty crimes (also some bigger ones), fires, things like that. It is a town that was built around the old glass factories and farms, so generally rural, lower middle class and also and a lot of farm workers and migrant workers still. Since schools usually reflect the local financial picture, I would imagine they are not great, but shouldn't be awful, either. They have built up the shopping area and a lot of new stores opened over the last couple years so there is pretty decent shopping, but not crowded (If I have to go to a mall, Millville is where I go to beat the crowds and traffic). Traffic is not bad (unless your home is on 49 near 55, where those poor folk have suffered through major road construction for months now).

You might want to post this on the New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia sub thread (found at the top of the main NJ page) as the main page generally has more north Jersey than south Jersey folk.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM

68 posts, read 226,531 times
i go to millville 10 or 12 times a year for the racetrack. new jersey motorsports park opened there a few years ago. the town itself seems pretty quiet to me with not a significant amount of traffic.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
As ocnjgirl said, better to post this in the South Jersey forum. Millville has had a bit of a revitalization downtown with a decent little art scene and some restaurants. However, the overall town isn't really that great. It's a decidedly poor to low middle class area and the school system is quite poor. Most of the more affluent residents in Millville and adjacent Vineland send their kids to private schools.

If you had posted asking for suggestions on where to live, no one would have said Millville since schools are an obvious priority. You would do much better looking further north up Route 55 at towns like Pitman, Mantua or the Mullica Hill area. While that would mean a decent drive to get to Millville and the business, they are much nicer communities with drastically better school systems. Another option would be to go west into Salem County and look at Alloway Twp. and Woodstown. Alloway extends pretty close to Millville and many areas have a Bridgeton mailing address, but the kids go to Woodstown schools, which are a tier or two lower than the others I mentioned, but still much better than what you will find in Millville.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,169 times
Thanks folks! Everybody in my family (except for me, that is) has already been out there for 4-7 days. So, I have absolutely no clue other than what they have told me (which hasn't been much).

Fortunately, we are going to rent the first year until I can get to know the in's and out's of the area.

So, it seems the average consensus on Millville is So-So, and the schools suck.

There are some things I am looking forward to in New Jersey, but some things I'll be missing here in Youngstown, Ohio.

One thing I can't get over are the home prices out there. My 3-bedroom cape cod (1300 sq. ft) in a nice suburban neighborhood is valued at $60K with a $1300 annual tax assessment. Heck, if you have $200K, you can purchase a 4-5 bedroom 2400-3000 sq. ft home with about 1.5 acres of land in a nice secluded area. So, $60K in New Jersey gets you what? A few large cardboard boxes duct taped together in a Walmart parking lot?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Well, Millville - to me - is not a desirable place to live.

I live in nearby Salem County (Alloway Twp.).

They have done a lot to try to revive the downtown, but there is crime there (be careful), and more 'city-type' stuff than i'd like to be around. It used to be better - but both Millville and Bridgeton are going downhill as far as crime. Sorry to have to report this.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 AM

20 posts, read 74,975 times
Millville has turned into a dangerous town over the last 2 decades. There have been shootings on Second St. and you should do the research yourself to confirm that. Vineland has sections for the wealthy and there are neighbourhoods that remain clean without the burden of the crime that dominates the area of Landis Ave which is in the center of town.

I have noticed the attitude brought about in the center of town. Some people simply can't afford a pack of cigs and so they buy rolling papers and a pouch of tobacco. When you show up to one of the local news agencies to buy rolling papers....the person behind the counter accuses you of being a junkie or drug dealer. How ironic when they are the one's who are selling the papers. They are very judgemental and tend to pigeon-hole people. In otherwords,....because you are purchasing rolling papers that makes you a drug induced person.

Inside yourself....you may have zero respect for the hippie culture, gangs, or anyone who has ever indulged in drugs ...but it doesn't matter because buying a pack of rolling papers gives you the image of a low-life according to these people's standards. Then why are they selling the merchandise to begin with? People who run a business in Vineland are way too concerned about who takes drugs and who sells drugs and they will go out of their way to accuse an innocent person of garbage like this. I think that is the worse thing I've ever heard and I will not live in an area that preaches that gospel.

Here you are spending hard earned money and they are harrassing you and making accusations which are ridiculous and moronic. The whole entrie place is simply pathetic and moronic.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 14,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too many kids View Post
Thanks folks! Everybody in my family (except for me, that is) has already been out there for 4-7 days. So, I have absolutely no clue other than what they have told me (which hasn't been much).

Fortunately, we are going to rent the first year until I can get to know the in's and out's of the area.

So, it seems the average consensus on Millville is So-So, and the schools suck.

There are some things I am looking forward to in New Jersey, but some things I'll be missing here in Youngstown, Ohio.

One thing I can't get over are the home prices out there. My 3-bedroom cape cod (1300 sq. ft) in a nice suburban neighborhood is valued at $60K with a $1300 annual tax assessment. Heck, if you have $200K, you can purchase a 4-5 bedroom 2400-3000 sq. ft home with about 1.5 acres of land in a nice secluded area. So, $60K in New Jersey gets you what? A few large cardboard boxes duct taped together in a Walmart parking lot?
Hehehe...welcome to New Jersey....now go home ( Seen on a T-shirt) I'm glad you're renting for the first year. Millville is so-so at best and the schools do suck. 5 kids? An area with a better school system is more in your best interests. 60K will get you a down payment. Actually, the way the market is now, it's not as bad as all that for a buyer. As has been mentioned, some areas of Vineland will do well for you ( and cost more) A house for $60K can be found, but possibly not as big a house as you're gonna need.

You may do well to think in terms of having to drive 30 min or so to get to your business each day rather than live in the area.
Hammonton is about that far....much better schools. A number of my co-workers drive from Millville ( and Vineland) to work in Hammonton, so apparently it's not too far. Millville, Bridgeton...that whole area is way hell-and-gone from anywhere, really out in the boondocks. Towns such as Atco, Berlin, Hammonton and more are situated right on the main drag between Philadelphia and Atlantic
City...Rt 30 'The White Horse Pike'. Plus there's a WaWa convenience store practically on every corner...very handy

Welcome To New Jersey...A Great Place To Live, Work and Play

GMB

Old 10-12-2011, 02:29 AM

390 posts, read 1,367,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
I personally do not live in Millville so i cant tell you much about the people or traffic or how its like to live there. I do know that its an Abbott school district. Its a special designation in New Jersey regarding state funding. It is not a good thing. The worst cities and towns are likely to have this designation. Here is the list of cities and towns in New Jersey that are Abbott Districts. As anyone on this forum will tell you, none are desirable towns to live, although i am sure there are ok neighborhoods in each town, its not good as a whole
Asbury Park Public Schools (Asbury Park)
Bridgeton Public Schools (Bridgeton)
The City Of Burlington Public School District (Burlington City)
Camden City Public Schools (Camden)
East Orange School District (East Orange)
Elizabeth Public Schools (Elizabeth)
Garfield Public Schools (Garfield)
Gloucester City Public Schools (Gloucester City)
Harrison Public Schools (Harrison)
Hoboken Public Schools (Hoboken)
Irvington Public Schools (Irvington)
Jersey City Public Schools (Jersey City)
Keansburg School District (Keansburg)
Long Branch Public Schools (Long Branch)
Millville Public Schools (Millville)
Neptune Township Schools (Neptune Township)
New Brunswick Public Schools (New Brunswick)
Newark Public Schools (Newark)
Orange Board of Education (Orange)
Passaic City School District (Passaic)
Paterson Public Schools (Paterson)
Pemberton Township School District (Pemberton Township)
Perth Amboy Public Schools (Perth Amboy)
Phillipsburg School District
Plainfield Public School District
Pleasantville Public Schools
Salem City School District (Salem, New Jersey)
Trenton Public Schools (Trenton)
Union City Board of Education (Union City)
Vineland Public Schools (Vineland)
West New York School District (West New York)

Wow, Hoboken is still an Abbott School district? I mean, you can argue that it's one of the most desirable places, and one of the most expensive, to live in New Jersey right now.

Aside from that, Garfield surprises me also. Not a wealthy town by any stretch, but not dangerous either. Crime is actually very low there, and it's almost all working class families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey