Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 PM

33 posts, read 177,968 times

Advertisements

great pics. How are those baby Yankees treating ya up there in Sctranton anyway? I live in a great town right off Green Pond Rd with TONS of nature. Rockaway. Anyway Newton has historic houses. I rented there once. Sorta boring.

But good lucky with your nex town I loved it!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
great pics. How are those baby Yankees treating ya up there in Sctranton anyway? I live in a great town right off Green Pond Rd with TONS of nature. Rockaway. Anyway Newton has historic houses. I rented there once. Sorta boring.

But good lucky with your nex town I loved it!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I haven't been to a single baby Yankees game yet here in Scranton, but I can't wait to go. My family was always born-and-bred Phillies fans, but I might just "break ranks" to support the new local team. I haven't decided which town I'll do next in NJ, but I might be leaning towards Newton or Belvidere. Both will get done eventually, but it's a race against time (I go back to school on August 27!)

Old 08-14-2007, 05:04 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
>I may even try to be a bit "adventurous" and head to Newark for a photo tour at some point in the upcoming weeks.<

>SWB, If your going to Newark you had better apply for your "permit to carry"<

I would recommend small nukes. A hand gun might not be quite enough firepower.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
>I may even try to be a bit "adventurous" and head to Newark for a photo tour at some point in the upcoming weeks.<

>SWB, If your going to Newark you had better apply for your "permit to carry"<

I would recommend small nukes. A hand gun might not be quite enough firepower.

An aside. I have photographed towns for 15 years now.
Prettiest town: Bellefonte PA followed by Medina OH and Brookville, PA

Old 08-14-2007, 05:37 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Hmmm...as I ponder purchasing a new car in 2008...I can consider this:

Or this:

I think I know which one I'd pick---I'm not sure about you though! LOL!
SWB you know that is a Tbird is a 1955!!!! Gosh its a beauty.......
But......I'll take the Mini Cooper above.....send it over. Thanks

Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
that's right, now i remember, you hyped it. don't get me wrong, i don't HATE it, it's just not on my hit parade.

SWB - i stand corrected, he (summering) likes it there.
Thats "SHE" Summering, Mr Tahiti..( you told me to call you Mr remember?)

Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Thats "SHE" Summering, Mr Tahiti..( you told me to call you Mr remember?)

no, but i do remember asking you to call me "mrs"

Looking for first home in Northern NJ w/o crazy taxes

Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no, but i do remember asking you to call me "mrs"

Looking for first home in Northern NJ w/o crazy taxes
That wasn't the posting........it was a long bit ago.
It must have been a typo.....because I was wondering why a name like Tahiti would be "Mr"? I had to look at that a few times.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:35 AM

163 posts, read 431,304 times
Quote:
One thing that did puzzle me though was the proliferation of nicer vehicles in town. Considering how much you people rant and rave about being "poor" on this forum, 99 out of every 100 vehicles that I passed that were parked in driveways or that passed me on the roadways was a late-model one, with about 25% of those being BMWs, Audis, Lexuses, Land Rovers, etc. I even saw a Bentley attempting to parallel park along Main Street! Sometimes I wonder if it's a case of people in NJ truly "struggling" to provide for their families or struggling to "keep up with the Jones's." I'm sure a sharper distinction must be drawn there. Please don't attack me for that honest observation; I just think the word "struggle" is tossed around WAY too freely on this forum.
Part of that is probably due to the people who work at Mars. As a former employee of that place, I can tell you that the parking lot is full of luxury cars; they pay well. Even for plant workers.

That said, I think Hackettstown is a godawful town. You've captured some pretty photos, but the town itself does not live up to its potential. Those shops are close to useless, there are very few restaurants of any quality, and the high school is not good. There's also a problem with illegals.

Hot Dog Johnny's, though? Awesome.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Part of that is probably due to the people who work at Mars. As a former employee of that place, I can tell you that the parking lot is full of luxury cars; they pay well. Even for plant workers.

That said, I think Hackettstown is a godawful town. You've captured some pretty photos, but the town itself does not live up to its potential. Those shops are close to useless, there are very few restaurants of any quality, and the high school is not good. There's also a problem with illegals.

Hot Dog Johnny's, though? Awesome.
Well, I used the bridal shop for a prom dress for our daughter once.
( and I lived two towns over)
I got a party tent once for a graduation at the party store.( again, I lived two towns over)
My daughter went to the used baby store last week to look for a special item she had in mind, and it wasn't elsewhere.
We've used the churches for baptisims.
Took the little one to the movie of Cars when it came out.
Did a bit of antique shopping also.
Took the Martz bus from the grand Panther Valley Shops area, came back and was dropped off right downtown. Thats quite handy.
Hot Dog Johnnys......I sure wanted a hamburger badly, and they don't have them..LOL
Having all the new "big box" stores is expanding the town. Its location for getting to commuting locations is great. It reminds one of Honesdale, but in a better location for getting to the shore, NYC, the Rockaway Mall and Ledgewood area.
Try to have a BBQ with the smell of M&Ms drifting through the air.
Chocolate anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey