Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,123 times

Advertisements

I'm considering purchasing a home in the cobblelstone section of Norwood and was wondering how often the train passes through? Consulted with a few Realtors in the area but got different information. One said it's only a three car train and passes once to twice a week at most. Another stated that is is a full commercial train and passes more than twice a week. Where can I go to get the schedule and more information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,923 times
Are you talking about Norwood in Bergen County?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Did some Googling and while I've never heard of any area of Norwood referred to as the "Cobblestone Section", I'm guessing it's around Cobblestone Crossing? That is the old Erie line that runs along Railroad Ave, back in the 90s it saw two trains daily, which was actually just the same train heading back after reaching it's destination in Northvale. Nowadays I'm pretty sure the train comes very infrequently, maybe a few times a week. It's also a very slow moving train, rarely more than a few cars long. The closest grade crossing is Broadway so you may hear them blowing the horn from there, but you'll hear them blowing the horn from CSX's West Shore Line on the other side of town. Now THAT is a high speed busy commercial freight line which sees a train every hour or so during the day and less frequently at night.

As for a schedule, there really isn't one, it's not a passenger train. The trains run when they need to.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
2-6 a Day , NJT / MNRR will one day sometime in the next 15 years have Passenger trains running every 30 mins.....

Old 04-24-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
2-6 a Day , NJT / MNRR will one day sometime in the next 15 years have Passenger trains running every 30 mins.....
Really? What businesses is it serving that far up the line? I remember the trains used to drop boxcars off up in Northvale just south of the state line by the baseball fields and the lumber yard in Closter. Not doubting ya at all, just rather curious as that and West Shore were my old railfan stompin' grounds in my days of youth!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Really? What businesses is it serving that far up the line? I remember the trains used to drop boxcars off up in Northvale just south of the state line by the baseball fields and the lumber yard in Closter. Not doubting ya at all, just rather curious as that and West Shore were my old railfan stompin' grounds in my days of youth!
Port of Albany–Rensselaer / Quebec

Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Port of Albany–Rensselaer / Quebec
Oh I'm not referring the CSX West Shore line, I'm talking about the very old former Erie line that cuts through the east side of those towns. The tracks have been pulled up from just below the state line and up. I know the West Shore receives cargo from those lines coming into Selkirk.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Oh I'm not referring the CSX West Shore line, I'm talking about the very old former Erie line that cuts through the east side of those towns. The tracks have been pulled up from just below the state line and up. I know the West Shore receives cargo from those lines coming into Selkirk.
Oh yea , that line isn't that used except a few times a week. Part of it will be converted to LRT by the end of the decade form North Bergen to Tenafly, by 2015.... If all goes well , the LRT could be extended to Piermont , although Tenafly is complaining. But that is unlikely to derail the project.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Oh yea , that line isn't that used except a few times a week. Part of it will be converted to LRT by the end of the decade form North Bergen to Tenafly, by 2015.... If all goes well , the LRT could be extended to Piermont , although Tenafly is complaining. But that is unlikely to derail the project.
Yeah, I remember you mentioning Tenafly getting huffy about it in another thread a while back. It'd be great to see commuter rail traffic of some capacity brought back to that line, maybe restore some of the beautiful old stations along it. Restoring all the way back up to Piermont would be pretty tricky as most of the former ROW passed Northvale has been paved over for a pedestrian/bike path, though it'd be nice to be able to hop on the Light Rail from Bergen County and take a nice ride up to Piermont and not have to deal with parking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: