Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times

Advertisements

My dog was diagnosed with a pretty hopeless case of cancer in January. After more than $2,000 in x-rays, ER visits and a CT scan they told me that the prognosis was 60-131 days left to live.

Again, this was back in the beginning of January so I figure she's got just a month or so left now.

I want to find a vet that will come to my house to put my dog down peacefully (our regular vet does not offer this service). I hate the idea of driving her to our regular vet, which she HATES, and then leaving her there to be disposed of in a mass cremation. Basically, I want to have her put down in my home and then take her to get an individual cremation so I can keep the ashes. Yes, I am that person---that crazy dog person.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing? My first dog died about 10 years ago and we buried her in the backyard of our old house. I don't have a yard where I live now, and even if I did, I wouldn't want to go this route again. With my first dog, it was a double whammy of guilt. She had been home alone all day, as usual, and I found her dead at the end of a long day at work. Then, when we moved out of that house I felt like I was leaving her behind, and I STILL feel guilty about that dog. So with this dog, I don't want any guilt on top of the hurricane of grief I know is going to wreck me.

Anyways, like I was saying...does anyone have any experience putting a dog down this way? Do I call a mobile vet NOW and let them know that I need a house call for euthanasia in a few weeks? Will they want a consultation with me beforehand to check me and my dog out, see her file, etc. etc.? Or can I just wait till towards the end to make the call?

Also, does anyone have any recommendation for a pet cremation facility in eastern Morris or western Essex county?

As far as mobile vets go, I found these listings:

Housecall Veterinarian - American Association of Housecall and Mobile Veterinarians - AAHV - Find a Housecall Veterinarian

House Call Veterinarians in NJ, The Less Stress Vets - Mobile veterinary services, wellness & sick pet exams, vaccines & compassionate euthanasia

Does anyone have any experience with any of those providers?

I'm trying to figure out in my head how this will go. I guess the vet will come to my house, put the dog down, and then I drive the dog to the crematory? Again, if anyone can share their experience or has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if you could give me an idea of the cost of all this because I have no idea.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:11 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
So sorry to hear about your dog.

This site might help with resources: New Jersey Pet Loss Resources

I had a friend who recently had a dog that died and this place (Pet Rest in Peace Memorial Center and Crematory | Cremation Services for Pets - Secaucus, New Jersey) in Secaucus came to her house in Bridgewater after the dog died, and then returned the next day with the ashes. I don't know costs.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,316 times
One thing you can ask for, if you do have to do it at your vet's office, is to come in after-hours. That's what we did. Then there are no other dogs or people there.

It was very quiet and peaceful. The vet put a beautiful blanket on the floor for her and we both pet her and talked to her while she went and I stayed with her to the end. It was very calm. Then he left me with her for a few minutes alone to say my goodbyes and then when I was ready, he came back and wrapped her in the blanket and gently carried her out of the room.

Then they sent her out for private cremation and I picked up the ashes about a week later. The ashes came in a lovely flowery tin.

Just thought I would share in case you can't find a mobile vet, that it's not as bad as you would think.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 AM

10 posts, read 85,636 times
Basking Ridge animal hospital Dr. Hollo. I had the same situation, he came to my house and put my dog to sleep as there was no way i could have taken him to an office knowing i would never see him again.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,828 times
Default Burying the pets

It started with the fish. We buried them in the back yard.

Then came the hamsters. We buried them in the back yard too.

Then the guinea pigs. Yup... six inches under in the back yard.

When the dog died, the kids looked at us like our heads were on funny when we suggested burying her somewhere other than the back yard! She needed to be buried in line with the others! Guess where she would up? Yup -- in the back yard.

From time to time I hear that there may be an ordinance against this. I really don't know -- nor do I care. (This isn't the Soviet States of America, at least not yet.) The dead dog doesn't bother anyone and the kids remember their beloved pet.

If you want to cremate so you can have the ashes, that's your call. But there is nothing to feel guilty about if you bury your four-footed friend in the back yard and then move on later in life. You'll have left your friend resting at the place it knew as "home."

My condolences to you during this difficult time.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:29 PM

Thank you HalfFull, Ann77, carson1297 and MaverickDD for the links, the recommendations, the suggestions and the kind words. I really appreciate it.

I'll mull this over some more and check out all your leads.

Thanks again, folks.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,924,068 times
I'm really sorry you are dealing with this now, I think it is best is you go thru your regular vet. As posted above, they try to make it easy on you-. I had to go that route in July with our 14 year old beloved Beagle and it still brings me to tears. I just looked at her last bill and it was $274.00 $123 for the euthenasia by the vet and $149.00 for the private cremation-I got her ashes back in a very nice cherry wood box-The name on the paperwork was Abbey Glen crematory. They were very professional. This is my last pet for awhile- I can't do it again. My best to you and your beloved dog.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,367,703 times
I just lost my beloved soul-kitty (yes, she was exactly that - like my soul-mate, but in feline form) on Tuesday very unexpectedly to Acute Renal Failure (she seemed incredibly healthy days before, it was as if she took a turn for the worst overnight - and she was only 9). Cremation was offered to us, but I told her vet that I wanted to take her home and bury her myself in the backyard. That night I went to buy her a large flowering plant (Mexican Petunia - a butterfly attractant), and planted it over her the following day. She is buried next to my pet Cockatiel that I lost in September. Her vet sent me a vase with a rose and baby's breath, and a condolences note a few days following her euthanasia. One day after that, I received a card from her vet, which included a loose transparent/colored Rainbow Bridge poem. I still have yet to read the entire card and poem - I just can't do it right now.

I have gone the cremation route before. I had a pet Quaker cremated many years ago. Her ashes were returned to me in a pretty tin chest, with birds and flowers on it, along with a memorial note. Many funeral homes will offer this service, if a pet-funeral home is not within distance.

Both were very professional, but I appreciated my cat's vet's efforts much more, as they were far more personal and heart-felt.

Regardless of the route you choose, know that your dog loves you, and she knows that you love her. Any choice you choose is the right one. Good luck, and I'm very sorry about the situation. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 AM

exit82, thank you for the information. Sorry about your dog. I have a beagle too. I know what you mean...I think this will be my last dog ever (of course, I said that with the last dog). I read a quote somewhere that the reason god gives such short lifespans to dogs and cats is to do us a favor...we can barely handle losing them after 10-20 years...imagine if they lived to 50 or 70 years?

EB2, sorry about your kitty and your cockatiel! My dog is only 9 as well. I can't tell which is worse...having your pet go suddenly and unexpectedly (like your cat and my first dog), or knowing for 3 months that your pet is dying and knowing you'll have to pick out and plan its last day before it's in too much pain. Thank you for your kind words.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
good luck. i don't know of a service that does that, but if your dog gets anxiety going to the vet, then it is definitely the way to go. and don't feel guilty about the first dog. my dream is for my dogs to be able to die peacefully at home. but, euthenasia does prevent a lot of pain they would otherwise experience. my thoughts are with you...i know how hard this is as we lost our family dog 2 septembers ago after nearly 14 years. it never gets easier. but you'll always have the great memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey