Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
What I think NJTransit really lacks is the 24/7 hr aspect and frequency of its trains and buses running as compared to the MTA subways. Only in NJ areas close to the city (Hudson County) can you find frequent 24/7 buses and trains (PATH) running to the city.
Most lines 22hrs a day or 21hrs a day....you don't really need 24/7 service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,184 times
Check out Jersey City, Hoboken or pretty much anywhere in No. (or even central) NJ that can get you directly to NYC by rail. See NJ Transit website. There is also the Suburban Coach that goes to NYC (where exactly I don't know-somewhere in Manhattan) from suburban areas in Central Jersey if you're looking for a more suburban living style.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Most lines 22hrs a day or 21hrs a day....you don't really need 24/7 service?
I guess in the areas I've been at except where I am now in Weehawken, bus service ended at 12:30am and began again at 6 or 6:30am to NYC which was Lyndhurst and Saddle Brook. The train stations were too far for walking for me (2 miles away) so I had to settle for the nearby bus routes. I would've liked it for those nights I'm out in NYC and don't have to end it at like 11:30-12pm, rush to the PA to get that last bus out. And 11pm is the start of the night in NYC. Even where my brother just moved to up in Edgewater, the 158 or 156 I dont remember has its last bus at 12:30am and begins again at 6am I believe.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,111 times
Quote:
Yes they do....and other companies fill in the gaps.... Service outside the areas closet to NYC ie Essex , Bergen , Passaic , Hudson , and Union counties is less but there are lines just about everywhere.
true those areas dont need cars but NW jersey and certain parts have poor service the middlesex MCAT offers a poor schedule but is the only thing in southern middlesex outside 8A and rte 27

Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
What I think NJTransit really lacks is the 24/7 hr aspect and frequency of its trains and buses running as compared to the MTA subways. Only in NJ areas close to the city (Hudson County) can you find frequent 24/7 buses and trains (PATH) running to the city.
actually the real problem is the service area and the poor coverage not so much the frequency will u go to NW jersey or parts of ocean and middlesex or eastern mercer and southern burlington which have little to no service

Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,513 times
ANywhere in Hudson COunty has good service.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras124685 View Post
If they do, I'm considering moving there without a car, or Should I choose to live in New York instead? Please help me.
Depends entirely on where you want to live. If you want to live in Hudson County or Newark, you're good, but anywhere else you're going to need a car. There are car share programs (such as zip car) in both NJ and NYC. Remember, NJ is a very diverse state, varying drastically from one part to another. Also, I feel that many people don't realize how big NJ really is. We're not all suburbs of NYC or Philadelphia, and have many rural areas.

Anywho, your best bet is to go where you can find a job, and go from there.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,092 times
Quote:
Yes there are....what are you talking about?
I didn't say there was none, just not many. And again, getting around your town on foot or maybe some local buses is one thing.

If you lived in say, Westwood with no car and needed to get to Garden State Plaza in Paramus. You'd haveta take the 165 into Hackensack, then get off and walk to the bus terminal there to another local bus to GSP. And it's not like their schedules are posted at most stops like at many stops in NYC.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras124685 View Post
If they do, I'm considering moving there without a car, or Should I choose to live in New York instead? Please help me.
As other posters have stated, there are areas in Hudson, Bergen, and Essex Counties that have good bus and rail service. Some areas have coverage and frequency that rival the services in NYC.

You can use this map to see which areas have the best bus service: NJ Bus map. You can click on the schedule of each route and see if you are satisfied with the frequency.

You may not get the frequency that we have in NYC, but you'll probably save on rent and/or get more value for your money out in NJ.

I hope this information was helpful.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,227 times
Most of Hudson County you should be fine without a car - Jersey City and Hoboken especially. Parts of Essex county (mostly Newark) and parts of Bergen - you can also get away without a car. The further south/west you live from the city the more suburban it gets and the tougher it gets without a car.

Let me illustrate - let's say you live in western Essex/eastern Morris county. You can easily commute to NYC for work by car but if you need to go grocery shopping or run basic errands, you often have to take a bus to a shopping center on Rt. 46 which is a pain. A little further south into Somerset and Union counties and you're often going to Rt. 22. Go further south into Middlesex and Mercer and you're going to Rt. 1 or Rt. 130. Dealing with infrequent bus service with transfers every time you need to run an errands or got a mall gets old - fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey