Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 7,323 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Hoboken and will be commuting to NYC. I'm a little confused about the transportation. First of all, where is the path train in hoboken and is it easy to get to (let's pretend i'm living around 14th street and frank sinatra drive)? Would I take the lightrail to the path? What are the hours of operation of the path? For day-to-day commuting to work in NYC, is the path best or is it better to take the ferry or bus? Also, what do you do when you have to get from NYC to hoboken late night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
The #22 and 89 buses runs frequenty up and down Washington St which is in your vicinity within a block or two depending where you actually are. The HOP is a bus line internal to Hoboken that runs on the weekdays as well that goes to the PATH. All these can take you down to the Hoboken PATH which runs 24hrs...very frequently during the day and overnight every 25-30min I believe (to and from NYC). 1st stop on the PATH line is Jersey City then its the World Financial Center in NYC. Takes about 15 min the ride. This is good for if you're working in downtown.

For midtown, I'd use the #126 bus to go to straight to the Port Authority on 42nd St.

I've given you what I think is the cheapest and fastest way to get into midtown and downtown from where you described.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbob View Post
I'm planning on moving to Hoboken and will be commuting to NYC. I'm a little confused about the transportation. First of all, where is the path train in hoboken and is it easy to get to (let's pretend i'm living around 14th street and frank sinatra drive)? Would I take the lightrail to the path? What are the hours of operation of the path? For day-to-day commuting to work in NYC, is the path best or is it better to take the ferry or bus? Also, what do you do when you have to get from NYC to hoboken late night?
PATH train is at Hoboken Terminal.

There are two lines to choose from. One goes to the WTC, stopping on the way at Newport/Pavionia and then Exchange Place in Jersey City. The other line runs to 33rd St at Sixth Avenue. Also stops at Christopher, Ninth, 14th, and 23rd.

As the other poster said, it's a 24-hour operation. There is a schedule on line.

PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

PATH is $1.75 per ride, or you can buy an unlimited pass for the month, or you can buy a 40-trip pass for $52.

Re getting back late at night, there is also a taxi stand outside Hoboken Terminal. Don't know what the fare is now, but it used to be $4.00 for anywhere in Hoboken.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 22,357 times
The above posts are very helpful so I don't have too much to add except that it definitely depends on where in Manhattan you are working. I have a friend who works near the water in the Financial District and raves about the ferry service. It's more expensive than the PATH but he says its well worth it for the convenience and atmosphere. 14th Street certainly isn't ideal in terms of PATH or ferry commuting so you may want to consider a place further downtown in Hoboken if your commute is important to you. You're basically as far from the PATH as you can be in Hoboken at 14th st. I wouldn't know about taking the bus into NYC but I would expect it to be less reliable considering traffic patterns, construction etc.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankJohn View Post
The above posts are very helpful so I don't have too much to add except that it definitely depends on where in Manhattan you are working. I have a friend who works near the water in the Financial District and raves about the ferry service. It's more expensive than the PATH but he says its well worth it for the convenience and atmosphere. 14th Street certainly isn't ideal in terms of PATH or ferry commuting so you may want to consider a place further downtown in Hoboken if your commute is important to you. You're basically as far from the PATH as you can be in Hoboken at 14th st. I wouldn't know about taking the bus into NYC but I would expect it to be less reliable considering traffic patterns, construction etc.
The ferry costs more, but it is worth it. It's the best way to start your day.

When I worked downtown and commuted through Hoboken, I took the ferry to the city in the morning and PATH home at night. By the way, it's a good idea to keep a ferry ticket in your wallet anyway for the inevitable day when there is a problem with PATH. Or when somebody bombs the city or there is a blackout.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The ferry costs more, but it is worth it. It's the best way to start your day.

When I worked downtown and commuted through Hoboken, I took the ferry to the city in the morning and PATH home at night. By the way, it's a good idea to keep a ferry ticket in your wallet anyway for the inevitable day when there is a problem with PATH. Or when somebody bombs the city or there is a blackout.
I told my fiancee that...her building is right in the World Financial Center...so glad if something does happen, the ferry is right there to take right up to Weehawken where we are.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankJohn View Post

I don't think that is accurate. Depending where you work the Ferry at 14th street is very convenient.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbob View Post
To get to Midtown, I would definitely say the #126 bus is the best way. Here is the schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0126.pdf

To get to Lower Manhattan, you can take the #22 or #89 (along Washington Avenue) to the Hoboken PATH station, and then take the PATH to Lower Manhattan. On weekends, you have to take the PATH to Grove Street, and then transfer to a train towards the World Trade Center.

The schedules for the #22 and #89 are available here:
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0022.pdf (#22)
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0089.pdf (#89)

The PATH costs $1.75, but a 10-trip ticket will bring the cost down to about $1.30. Weekly and monthly passes are also available.

I believe the fare on the #126 is $3.20, or $27 for a 10-trip ticket. Monthly passes are $98. See here: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/sf_bu_fare_NewYorkCity.pdf

The #22 and #89 cost $1.50, or $54 for a monthly pass. See here: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/sf_bu_fare_Local.pdf

After the buses stop running, you can take the PATH to Hoboken and then take a taxi the rest of the way.

I hope this information was helpful.

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 04-17-2011 at 02:48 AM..

Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 AM

573 posts, read 970,723 times
NJ transit trains, buses and the Path system are all at the other end of Washington st. down by 1st st.

Ferry fairs I think are around $7 for a one way trip with parking being equivalent.

If you live near washington ave and 14th you would probably take a bus down to the path or walk it in good weather.

Many (or all) taxis advertise $5 trips anywhere in Hoboken.

Living in Hoboken is quite expensive and is slowly becoming as expensive as some areas of NYC to live. One barmaid told me it is possible to live inexpensively in hoboken, but that was just one barmaid's story (and she probably had a room mate)

Old 04-17-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
NJ transit trains, buses and the Path system are all at the other end of Washington st. down by 1st st.

Ferry fairs I think are around $7 for a one way trip with parking being equivalent.

If you live near washington ave and 14th you would probably take a bus down to the path or walk it in good weather.

Many (or all) taxis advertise $5 trips anywhere in Hoboken.

Living in Hoboken is quite expensive and is slowly becoming as expensive as some areas of NYC to live. One barmaid told me it is possible to live inexpensively in hoboken, but that was just one barmaid's story (and she probably had a room mate)
Its been like that for a while now...I've always considered it an extension of lower Manhatten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey