Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,993 times

Advertisements

It has been recommended that I check out Morristown, Chatham, Morris Plains, Denville, Berkely Heights, Madison, Chester and Stirling. Can you help narrow the field and/or give me a little information about each area? I am coming to visit this Friday - Sunday. Thank you so much!

Where are you coming from? Norfolk, VA (husband grew up in Manhattan, I'm from Ohio)
Why are you moving? job relocation - husband will be physician in Morristown. possibly also in hackensack someday. considering areas in between.

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? current house was $819k

What kind of place are you looking for ? walkable neighborhood, friendly, yard, newer home - does not need renovations

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? husband, wife, 4 1/2 year old daughter, indoor/outdoor cat

Do you need/want good public schools? want good public schools

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
families with young children - but we are in our 40s, diverse - our daughter is bi-racial, educated, welcoming of newcomers, socially diverse (politics, religion, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. proximity to morristown, diverse, family oriented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,330,043 times
I'd focus on Chatham, Madison, and New Providence. You can't do better than these communities. If your husband doesn't mind a 20 minute commute, you may also consider Mountain Lakes.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,343,209 times
My sister lives in Morris Plains and loves it.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,462,880 times
chatham is awesome if you can afford it. should be able to if hubby is a physician. happy hunting!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM

8 posts, read 19,945 times
Default Mountain Lakes

I have a house I'm looking to sell FSBO in Mountain Lakes. It's well within your budget and turn key. Also have a biracial family so we can share our experiences on that front in the town. House is 4br, 2 1/2 bath colonial.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,293,675 times
Lots of great towns in that area, but your list is definitely a good starting point.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,993 times
Thank you everyone for your input. I'm in Morristown right now. I've been very impressed with all that I've seen. But now I have more information....my husband will need to be able to easily travel to morrristown and Hackensack. He feels the best location is somewhere in between. I've been surprised at the low diversity I've seen since I've been here. Our 4 year old is bi-racial and I would love for her to go to a great public school where she sees a wide mix of skin tones. Suggestions? Thank u so much!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 AM

4,073 posts, read 9,009,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkgirl View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. I'm in Morristown right now. I've been very impressed with all that I've seen. But now I have more information....my husband will need to be able to easily travel to morrristown and Hackensack. He feels the best location is somewhere in between. I've been surprised at the low diversity I've seen since I've been here. Our 4 year old is bi-racial and I would love for her to go to a great public school where she sees a wide mix of skin tones. Suggestions? Thank u so much!
Morristown is quite diverse. Some of the other towns on your list are a bit less.

Given new location parameters, take a look at Montclair and the Caldwells too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey