Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM

293 posts, read 719,741 times

Advertisements

I have been browsing some of the homes for sale in the Sleepy Hollow and Netherwood area of Plainfield. I love the style and historic aspects of the homes located in this town. At the same time, I'm very aware of the bad reputation of this town, which is reflected on the asking prices. So in my quest to find out the real state of affairs with this town, I drove all over the town for about two weeks. I parked my car to ask questions to a couple of people that were mowing their lawn. However, I'm not really sure I received an unbiased response to some of my questions.

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to drive all the time, let alone ask questions to every homeowner I come across while driving around town. My main concern are home brake-ins (Burglaries) and robberies in the area. Is Plainfield such a bad area or is it just a reputation of the past that won't go away? Also, how can I get real stats of crime rates of this town? Does a visit to the Police precint will be helpful? I'm not all concerned about resale value and school districts since my wife and I are planning to send our only child to private school.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 AM

239 posts, read 1,140,885 times
I would ask the police dept. I grew up in that neighborhood (Dixie Lane) and loved it. We never had any problems or break-ins and neither did my neighbors but that was in the 70's. We did all go to Catholic/private school. I considered Plainfield when we were moving back to the area because the prices are so amazing, and the houses just gorgeous and I figured we'd send our 2 kids to private school. But then I looked into the price of tuition every year x2 plus property tax, it made more sense economically to just move to a town with a great school district, that had other things to offer too (downtown, ymca, pool, lots of parks). My life going to Catholic school involved not seeing friends as often as I would have liked, since we came from different towns and required driving everywhere from our parents. I love the idea of school mates being neighbors so in the end, we decided against Plainfield.

I did a quick search and found this. Doesn't look too good
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

and right here on City-Data about a third of the way down is a bar graph, also not good
https://www.city-data.com/city/Plainf...ew-Jersey.html

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:35 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 AM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
I have been browsing some of the homes for sale in the Sleepy Hollow and Netherwood area of Plainfield. I love the style and historic aspects of the homes located in this town. At the same time, I'm very aware of the bad reputation of this town, which is reflected on the asking prices. So in my quest to find out the real state of affairs with this town, I drove all over the town for about two weeks. I parked my car to ask questions to a couple of people that were mowing their lawn. However, I'm not really sure I received an unbiased response to some of my questions.

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to drive all the time, let alone ask questions to every homeowner I come across while driving around town. My main concern are home brake-ins (Burglaries) and robberies in the area. Is Plainfield such a bad area or is it just a reputation of the past that won't go away? Also, how can I get real stats of crime rates of this town? Does a visit to the Police precint will be helpful? I'm not all concerned about resale value and school districts since my wife and I are planning to send our only child to private school.

Thanks!
I wouldn't do it, not in this economy. I keep hearing rumors about it being fixed up, but like I always say, I'll go there after it has turned around.

The Sleepy Hollow section is supposed to be fine though, that's the part that's near Scotch Plains/Fanwood. I think the part near Piscataway is way worse. But like I said before, I wouldn't do it in this economy.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggywink View Post
I would ask the police dept. I grew up in that neighborhood (Dixie Lane) and loved it. We never had any problems or break-ins and neither did my neighbors but that was in the 70's. We did all go to Catholic/private school. I considered Plainfield when we were moving back to the area because the prices are so amazing, and the houses just gorgeous and I figured we'd send our 2 kids to private school. But then I looked into the price of tuition every year x2 plus property tax, it made more sense economically to just move to a town with a great school district, that had other things to offer too (downtown, ymca, pool, lots of parks). My life going to Catholic school involved not seeing friends as often as I would have liked, since we came from different towns and required driving everywhere from our parents. I love the idea of school mates being neighbors so in the end, we decided against Plainfield.

I did a quick search and found this. Doesn't look too good
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

and right here on City-Data about a third of the way down is a bar graph, also not good
https://www.city-data.com/city/Plainf...ew-Jersey.html
Thanks for the links though. With those numbers, it really doesn't look good at all. What a shame! The town has the charm, and every house has curve appeal. Plainfield along with the Caldwells have got to be the nicest towns in the State. Out of curiosity, how much of a difference has the area suffered since the time you lived in the town? I will try to go to the police precint and to see what the feel is like.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:35 AM..

Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I wouldn't do it, not in this economy. I keep hearing rumors about it being fixed up, but like I always say, I'll go there after it has turned around.

The Sleepy Hollow section is supposed to be fine though, that's the part that's near Scotch Plains/Fanwood. I think the part near Piscataway is way worse. But like I said before, I wouldn't do it in this economy.
Would you mind expanding on the whole thing about the economy? I don't think is about the economy, but more about the people living in the area. As far as the town getting fixed up, I have to see it to believe it. Then again whenever that happpens, average people get priced out in a nano-second. I must say that I'm impressed with the turn around that the city of Rahway is undergoing recently. I wish that the Mayor and the people of Plainfield would follow the example.

Last edited by Ed Guitar; 08-09-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Would you mind expanding on the whole thing about the economy? I don't think is about the economy, but more about the people living in the area. As far as the town getting fixed up, I have to see it to believe it. Then again whenever that happpens, average people get priced out in a nano-second. I must say that I'm impressed with the turn around that the city of Rahway is undergoing recently. I wish that the Mayor and the people of Plainfield would follow the example.
Well since the housing market has been down for awhile, considering the fact that the economy is in the toilet, it is not a good sign that the area will be revitalized or fixed up anytime soon. They aren't going to put money toward that in this economy. It isn't a good investment.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:18 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
The bottom line is that the Sleepy Hollow section is beautiful...always has been. Huge homes in great shape for pennies on the dollar of what you would pay in other towns. The problem is that its still Plainfield, which s is still a ghetto city with a crime index almost double the national average. Do you really want to live in a beautiful house less than a mile away from an area that cop cars won't even venture into?

The other poster is absolutely right abut the economy. With housing prices and mortgages at record lows you are much better off buying a more modest house in a well established town. It's a better more secure investment and if you change your mind down the road you'll actually be able to sell the house in under a year.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM

239 posts, read 1,140,885 times
I really have no idea if things are worse or better. I recently saw a distant relative at an event who is a Plainfield police officer. I asked him if things were as bad as the rumors in Plainfield and he said, "absolutely and probably even worse" that said, I've lived in "dangerous" places before and they didn't seem too bad. The area you are looking at is probably fine. Just call the police up and ask.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
The bottom line is that the Sleepy Hollow section is beautiful...always has been. Huge homes in great shape for pennies on the dollar of what you would pay in other towns. The problem is that its still Plainfield, which s is still a ghetto city with a crime index almost double the national average. Do you really want to live in a beautiful house less than a mile away from an area that cop cars won't even venture into?

The other poster is absolutely right abut the economy. With housing prices and mortgages at record lows you are much better off buying a more modest house in a well established town. It's a better more secure investment and if you change your mind down the road you'll actually be able to sell the house in under a year.
Yeah depending on your budget of course but Plainfield is otherwise surrounded by some beautiful towns, but they do come with a price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey