Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:04 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Nope, my tax dollars are paying for the local town road I take to work every day. The turnpike and parkway cost a lot more to maintain. Since your car is doing the damage to the roads, you should be paying the extra cost. If I want to go into the city for dinner, I will gladly pay the extra cost for the trip.
Believe me, while your tax dollars are paying "towards" the road that you drive every day, so are mine and I don't even drive on "your" road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Believe me, while your tax dollars are paying "towards" the road that you drive every day, so are mine and I don't even drive on "your" road.
My point exactly. You and I are already paying for each others local roads. Maintenance is the issue, which is not much different from one local road to another. Highways are another story. If you dont want to pay to maintain them, stick to the local roads, or better yet, take public transportation.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
My point exactly. You and I are already paying for each others local roads. Maintenance is the issue, which is not much different from one local road to another. Highways are another story. If you dont want to pay to maintain them, stick to the local roads, or better yet, take public transportation.
Not exactly sure what planet you live on, but public trans for committing doesn't exist in NJ.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM

58 posts, read 290,637 times
Quote:
Nope, my tax dollars are paying for the local town road I take to work every day. The turnpike and parkway cost a lot more to maintain. Since your car is doing the damage to the roads, you should be paying the extra cost. If I want to go into the city for dinner, I will gladly pay the extra cost for the trip.
That's just ridiculous.... the roads in the South are in MUCH better condition--- and there are hardly any tolls!!!

It does not cost that much to maintain the turnpike--- how often do you see them actually repairing it??

Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
That's just ridiculous.... the roads in the South are in MUCH better condition--- and there are hardly any tolls!!!
They are in 'much" better condition because there are much less people driving them, not because they maintain them better. But fine, keep the tolls the same. The money has to come from somewhere so they may as well raise our taxes even higher...and the south can chip in for our highways here up north in the form of taxes.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
The roads in the south are in better condition because they aren't subjected to freezing temps, frost heave, or road salt. The turnpike also receives more truck traffic than many roads because of it's proximity to the ports and other terminals, and the trucks beat the road to death. By comparison, the Parkway is in much better shape because trucks are prohibited.

Bob

Old 06-25-2007, 07:06 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The roads in the south are in better condition because they aren't subjected to freezing temps, frost heave, or road salt. The turnpike also receives more truck traffic than many roads because of it's proximity to the ports and other terminals, and the trucks beat the road to death. By comparison, the Parkway is in much better shape because trucks are prohibited.

Bob
this is mostly nonsense, they have the same weather south of I195 as we do in northern part of the state and they use salt too, trucks are allowed on the parkway south of 105.
Their roads are almost as crowded as the roads up north. There is a toll road down there, the AC expressway. The difference is that people in monmouth and ocean and SE NJ are forced to use toll roads to go north south, there are no alternatives. in southern nj there are alternatives to the toll roads, for example I295 runs parallel to the turnpike.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 AM

179 posts, read 784,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
this is mostly nonsense, they have the same weather south of I195 as we do in northern part of the state and they use salt too... in southern nj there are alternatives to the toll roads, for example I295 runs parallel to the turnpike.
Thanks Kort - That's what we need, more people on I295 avoiding the turnpike toll! I used to work in PA via the PA turnpike and would take the turnpike connector bridge. It's amazing how many trucks would exit in Burlington/Florence and hop onto 295 south to avoid connecting to the NJ turnpike. Route 295 is a free ride to Delaware and like you said, runs parallel. No extra gas and only 2 lights, the light on Route 130 and the light on Old York Road (which by the way is under construction, putting in left turn lanes due to heavy traffic - do you remember a couple of years ago this was just a blinking light?). Hmmm...I wonder who's footing the bill for this road improvement?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
this is mostly nonsense, they have the same weather south of I195 as we do in northern part of the state and they use salt too, trucks are allowed on the parkway south of 105.
Their roads are almost as crowded as the roads up north. There is a toll road down there, the AC expressway. The difference is that people in monmouth and ocean and SE NJ are forced to use toll roads to go north south, there are no alternatives. in southern nj there are alternatives to the toll roads, for example I295 runs parallel to the turnpike.
I was referring to "the South" as in the Carolinas, Georgia, etc- not South Jersey. You of all people should know that there's a whole other world beyond Cape May.....lol.

Bob

Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I was referring to "the South" as in the Carolinas, Georgia, etc- not South Jersey. You of all people should know that there's a whole other world beyond Cape May.....lol.

Bob
the whole toll thing is when and how the funds are collected, here in NE FLA there are no toll roads but the gas tax is almost 20 cents higher than NJ, pay them now or pay them later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey