Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 19,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You don't say what country you are coming from. Are you going to Philadelphia for professional reasons? If so, I would suggest that you go directly to Philadelphia. While there, ask a collegue to ride with you. I don't think that driving through Camden alone is a good idea. I have driven in Europe & know that it is too easy to get lost in a foreign country.
I agree. Just go to N. Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 44,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
As Johhny Rotten once said: "A cheap holiday in other people's misery".

Leaving aside the safety aspect, isn't poverty tourism somewhat tasteless?

Or is it a big thing to go back to safe little Denmark boasting how you survived the ghetto?
Since you have taking your time replying, what didn't you take your time reading my original post?

But let me refresh it for you... I'm only going due to a professional interest..

Poverty tourism? Give me a break..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Figures you would ask, dude.. so people aren't inclined to talk to you, ask for money, sell you drugs, etc. It isn't intended to stop bullets, smart guy.

In addition, if this guy is coming to America to see ghetto, ghetto he shall see. I'm just giving him tips.

Camden isn't Northeast Philly, Flyers Fan. It's quite a bit worse, and precautions help, like what I stated above for the visiting European. Do you honestly think people are just going to shoot at him? Are you serious in what you post? I am. He'll be just fine staring through his car window if he follows a few guidelines and doesn't get stuck down a small street with bad people.
Thanks for your advise mate.. They are much appreciated

Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 17,398 times
You really shouldn't worry too much, just stay off side streets to avoid jerks. I go to school in Camden and regularly walk around to find cheap food (hey when you're in college you do what you can to save a buck)

I do suggest going around Cooper Hospital. Its near the college but far enough into the city to get a sense of some slum. If you go down cooper street (If you are driving with the hospital to your right you can continue down a couple blocks--be sure to pass a mcdonalds-- and see it-- its the same block Rutgers is on) you can see the change of abandoned buildings against the renovation of the school zone. This is also totally safe to photograph. You can drive around third street a bit and as long as you don't pass Federal in one direction or go under the bridge in the other you are completely safe.

Another nice area to consider stopping by is on the other side of the Ben Franklin Bridge. This is true Camden and I would suggest only visiting during the day-- I have no idea what it's like at night-- But you can check out the Northgate area if you go under the bridge, turn right and you will drive by it. It is currently an area Rutgers students are cleaning up so its relatively safe with a city attitude.

Again as long as you stay near Rutgers or main roads you really have nothing much to worry about. Also if you drive straight through and aren't acting stupid it is unlikely that anyone is going to attack you. or pull any stunts.

Enjoy your trip!!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 PM

7 posts, read 17,398 times
Oh and if you get hungry, drive down second street behind the college and stop by Friend's Cafe. The owner is a gourmet chef (recently left his job to open his own restaurant) Food will run you between 4.50 for a plain burger to about 8-9 for a full meal. Servings are HUGE and food is DELICIOUS! but its a must visit! I go whenever I have some extra cash!

Oh! And make sure Kelly takes your picture!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,326,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paposa View Post
Since you have taking your time replying, what didn't you take your time reading my original post?

But let me refresh it for you... I'm only going due to a professional interest..

Poverty tourism? Give me a break..
What possible professional benefit can you get driving through a town that you can't get looking on Google streview or accessing any one of dozens of Internet sources?

I can only assume you want to gawp at poor people. If I was one of them and you stared at me in my real life, then you would get exactly the kind of reaction you are so scared of.

If you have a genuine desire to help or learn then I suggest you make contact with local politicians and officials here:
City of Camden New Jersey

In Victorian times the rich used to walk into the homes of the poor and lecture them on what they were doing wrong. We have thankfully moved on from that attitude. Mind your own business and leave the human beings of Camden alone.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
What possible professional benefit can you get driving through a town that you can't get looking on Google streview or accessing any one of dozens of Internet sources?

I can only assume you want to gawp at poor people. If I was one of them and you stared at me in my real life, then you would get exactly the kind of reaction you are so scared of.
Well if you must know.. I work as a research assistent for a publisher, who is doing prelimary field work for an upcoming documentary about the side effects of modern urbanisation.. Camden is mentioned in their material along with a list of other cities around the US and Europe (not my idea), so of course we need to do some research for possible locations - both for pictures in the book - and if they need to do some work for a possbile tv program of the subject.
So assume all you want, if that makes you fell any better, BUT I really can't see that's any your business??

Quote:
If you have a genuine desire to help or learn then I suggest you make contact with local politicians and officials here:
City of Camden New Jersey .
Well that's the only relevant suggestion you have come up with.. So thanks! Of course we have people dealing with these issues. But that's not my job, I just know how to tell a story through pictures.

Quote:
In Victorian times the rich used to walk into the homes of the poor and lecture them on what they were doing wrong. We have thankfully moved on from that attitude. Mind your own business and leave the human beings of Camden alone.
Leaving all your patronising comments aside, we do agree that these people are not in a Zoo. But even so I fell, there are stories that's need to be told. We can't just close our eyes, and say that if we cant see the problems, there can't be any?

So it's quite the opposite of what you are saying.. It's the so called 'rich' we need to "get into the homes of", and hopefully give an eyeopener of what they are doing wrong.

/Thanks

Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM

4,681 posts, read 5,003,649 times
Quote:

City of Camden New Jersey

Lose the self-righteousness. Cities like Camden just plain don't exist in Europe, so the guy just wants to explore a bit. He talked about getting a feel for the place and why it's so messed up, not just staring at poor people like they're animals in a zoo. I think there's a difference, don't you?

I also like how you insinuate that the guy can learn more about Camden from a city of Camden website, which is operated by people who have a vested interest in making Camden look good, than from actually going to the city. And who said anything about a "desire to help?" As you correctly say, Camden residents are every bit as human as we are. They can figure out their own problems. Or are you implying they can't? Hmm?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,749,436 times
Based on the OP's post, I think his reason for wanting to visit is very valid and is not "slum touring", but more or less getting a sense of the reality to later be used in a project he is involved in. You can't get a true sense of any place until you've set foot there and laid eyes on it yourself. For instance, I know what the Sistine Chapel looks like through pictures, but until I stood in it and saw the frescoes it was impossible to feel the scope of the project and the monumental effort that went into painting it. Abstract example, but you get the point.

Consider it this way, maybe the OP's research for the book/film will lead to more awareness about the truth and realities of Camden and that can certainly be a benefit for the folks living there. Camden is a unique city and nothing like it exists in Europe. Until you have learned a little of it's past and use that as a baseline for looking at it today, it is easy to simply write it off as a ghetto to be avoided with no value whatsoever.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Lose the self-righteousness. Cities like Camden just plain don't exist in Europe, so the guy just wants to explore a bit. He talked about getting a feel for the place and why it's so messed up, not just staring at poor people like they're animals in a zoo. I think there's a difference, don't you?

I also like how you insinuate that the guy can learn more about Camden from a city of Camden website, which is operated by people who have a vested interest in making Camden look good, than from actually going to the city. And who said anything about a "desire to help?" As you correctly say, Camden residents are every bit as human as we are. They can figure out their own problems. Or are you implying they can't? Hmm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Based on the OP's post, I think his reason for wanting to visit is very valid and is not "slum touring", but more or less getting a sense of the reality to later be used in a project he is involved in. You can't get a true sense of any place until you've set foot there and laid eyes on it yourself. For instance, I know what the Sistine Chapel looks like through pictures, but until I stood in it and saw the frescoes it was impossible to feel the scope of the project and the monumental effort that went into painting it. Abstract example, but you get the point.

Consider it this way, maybe the OP's research for the book/film will lead to more awareness about the truth and realities of Camden and that can certainly be a benefit for the folks living there. Camden is a unique city and nothing like it exists in Europe. Until you have learned a little of it's past and use that as a baseline for looking at it today, it is easy to simply write it off as a ghetto to be avoided with no value whatsoever.
There are places like Camden in parts of Europe , mostly Eastern and in parts of the Balkans. Mostly poor immigrants and ruminates of past culture wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia