Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,983,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paposa View Post
As for Camden - are you familiar with any the roads there?
The only roads you need to be familiar with in Camden is the road out of town.....or to the nearest hospital !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,882,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paposa View Post
I'm coming from Denmark..
I can see your pint, but I'm not too concerned with getting lost, as I'm used to driving in big cities. That's also the reason, why I have chosen a rather simple route, and I will be having a GPS with me..
At least visit Newark & Jersey City , 2 cities that have recently become safer. And still have a few Decayed areas , but more to offer in Urban Renewal.....Camden yuck .......time to bulldoze that city.....Why would you fly form Denmark to drive through Camden? Fly form Denmark , visit Newark / Jersey City see how much both cities have become and move on.........Newark & Jersey City 10 years ago were = to Camden , but now there on the improving path and doing so in a rapid way....

Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,419,766 times
You'll be fine.. Just bring a GPS, and drive with the windows up. A few tips:

1. Don't pull too close to the car in front of you (so you can drive around if you need to get away.)

2. Stay to the wider streets if possible (don't get stuck down an alley with a parked car (cornered.))

3. Don't be shy to run a red light if they do mess with you.

4. Go during rush hour... the more people, the safer you'll be.

Don't wear glasses and sit there and stare and smile at the people on the corner. Look like you belong.. bump some music so you seem like you're an average trash American (like me! )

Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,983,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
You'll be fine.. Just bring a GPS, and drive with the windows up. A few tips:

1. Don't pull too close to the car in front of you (so you can drive around if you need to get away.)

2. Stay to the wider streets if possible (don't get stuck down an alley with a parked car (cornered.))

3. Don't be shy to run a red light if they do mess with you.

4. Go during rush hour... the more people, the safer you'll be.

Don't wear glasses and sit there and stare and smile at the people on the corner. Look like you belong.. bump some music so you seem like you're an average trash American (like me! )
If you have to follow the above posted 4 rules as a survival guide to increase your chances of simply driving through Camden why A) on earth would you even suggest he'll be "fine" and B) why would anyone want to risk injury or death to drive through under those conditions at all ? Finally...one of your "rules" is to drive with the windows up ? Since when do glass windows, even when they are "up", stop bullets ?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
The realities of life in Camden are very...real. However, I can't think of any instances in a long time where people were murdered or assaulted that were simply visiting or driving through. The vast majority of crime in Camden is gang and drug related with those folks killing each other. I wouldn't go gallivanting around all areas of Camden for S&G's, but I really don't see an issue with driving on main roads during the day to see the city. For all the bad in Camden there is still a lot of history in the city.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:58 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,900,200 times
I remember a few years I had to take my show winning grand national to Camden where one of the premier 3.8 Buick builders has his shop. No one attacked me! lol. In fact he leaves all the cars hes working on for customers on the street and NO ONE bothers em. he owns a whole block and the whole city knows not to mess with any of his customers cars!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,968,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The realities of life in Camden are very...real. However, I can't think of any instances in a long time where people were murdered or assaulted that were simply visiting or driving through.
^This.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,325,925 times
As Johhny Rotten once said: "A cheap holiday in other people's misery".

Leaving aside the safety aspect, isn't poverty tourism somewhat tasteless?

Or is it a big thing to go back to safe little Denmark boasting how you survived the ghetto?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,419,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
If you have to follow the above posted 4 rules as a survival guide to increase your chances of simply driving through Camden why A) on earth would you even suggest he'll be "fine" and B) why would anyone want to risk injury or death to drive through under those conditions at all ? Finally...one of your "rules" is to drive with the windows up ? Since when do glass windows, even when they are "up", stop bullets ?
Figures you would ask, dude.. so people aren't inclined to talk to you, ask for money, sell you drugs, etc. It isn't intended to stop bullets, smart guy.

In addition, if this guy is coming to America to see ghetto, ghetto he shall see. I'm just giving him tips.

Camden isn't Northeast Philly, Flyers Fan. It's quite a bit worse, and precautions help, like what I stated above for the visiting European. Do you honestly think people are just going to shoot at him? Are you serious in what you post? I am. He'll be just fine staring through his car window if he follows a few guidelines and doesn't get stuck down a small street with bad people.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM

6 posts, read 19,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Can we just bulldoze this city already? Honestly Irvington & Camden are the most neglected Urban Dumps in NJ. And i don't see that changing...... Just round up all the druggies and push them into the Delaware....

The problem is the Dems will then build them new housing fo free and the hoodrats will just destroy another neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia