Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times

Advertisements

I agree that this sub-forum should be for South Jersey overall. That seems to be the topic of the day, so I want to voice my opinion about that. So there.

But--are there any people on this forum who originally came from North Jersey and retired to South Jersey? And I'm talking about REALLY from North (or even Central) Jersey--not like that guy I was talking to in a bar in Margate once who said he had been to North Jersey and when I asked where he responded "Forked River". Never forgot that one.

Anyway. I'm a few years from retirement, but thinking about where I would go. I'm a lifelong NJ resident, fifth generation actually in the town where I grew up, about 20 minutes from the NYS border. It's not quite the same sleepy blue-collar town I grew up in, having been overbuilt, all the woods and ponds and streams obliterated to make way for extra-big houses, and now very expensive to live in. I moved to Monmouth County two years ago, and while I like it here very much, and it's still within commuting range of my Jersey City job, it's kind of crowded around here, too, though it has a ways to go to catch up to Bergen.

I cannot EVER see myself moving to places like Florida or North Carolina. I am single, long divorced, with one child who will be out of college next year, and would have to move alone wherever I go. I have siblings in different parts of Central and North Jersey and one in PA, and my mother still lives in my hometown with two of my brothers. I wouldn't want to live so completely far away from any family that I couldn't get to them within a few hours drive.

So, as I muse about my possible future retirement, I wonder how many people have resettled from North to South Jersey. Proximity to the ocean is always good--it's one of the reasons I live in eastern Monmouth County--but I will never have the wealth to live in an actual South Jersey shore town.

I'm not so much looking for an actual place to think about moving right now as I am general information.

Are the taxes in South Jersey as bad as they are in Central Jersey, which are better than North Jersey but still not great?

If people do retire down there, do they tend to live in those 55+ communities or in amongst non-retired people in regular towns?

And--this might seem weird--but it seems to me by looking at maps that the bottom of NJ--west of the Cape May Peninsula and on up toward the Delaware River--the area can be very swampy. Are there towns near those swamplands? I like the wetlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,618,843 times
Why do you have to buy to retire here? There are many reasonable rentals in the shore towns. Pocket the money from the sale of your house and live where you dream of, if it's on the ocean don't rule it out from the get-go. I live on the beach for less than $800 a month.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,895,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why do you have to buy to retire here? There are many reasonable rentals in the shore towns. Pocket the money from the sale of your house and live where you dream of, if it's on the ocean don't rule it out from the get-go. I live on the beach for less than $800 a month.
sounds like a fine idea!!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 14,362 times
have you ever heard that old urban legend that the poeple that live in the (609) area code are "Different" lol

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM

9,368 posts, read 13,030,949 times
Somewhere else to consider is Leisuretowne in Southampton Township if 55+ communities are your sort of thing. You're about halfway between Philadelphia and the Shore Points, plus relatively close to 295/NJ Turnpike access.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Somewhere else to consider is Leisuretowne in Southampton Township if 55+ communities are your sort of thing. You're about halfway between Philadelphia and the Shore Points, plus relatively close to 295/NJ Turnpike access.
No, they're not.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petebinalabam View Post
have you ever heard that old urban legend that the poeple that live in the (609) area code are "Different" lol
Yes, and I know it's true because I had a friend who lived in Ventnor and I spent a lot of time down there.

Different doesn't necessarily mean "bad", and I can put up with the funny accent.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
ROFL, there wouldn't be a hell of a lot to "pocket". I've owned my condo for um, almost two whole years now.

But it is a good suggestion. I've rented almost all of my life--my biggest problem with rentals is that I have cats, and most landlords don't allow pets. Owning a condo that the bank really owns most of doesn't mean I have any equity, but it does mean I can have pets and not have to live with terminally off-white walls.

I would not have a problem renting again providing the landlord was flexible about certain things.

At any rate, I was thinking that now that South Jersey is so much closer to me than it used to be, I might take a drive here and there and check out some of the places I haven't been to before, which would primarily be those inland from the shore towns.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,732,038 times
When you're free of things like caring about schools, you get a lot that opens up. I'd be checking out communities along the Route 30 and Route 47 corridors. Most of them are going to be more rural while still providing easy access to the shore when you want it and enough amenities to give you access to the essentials. These areas tend to be cheap as the land is more swampy or "wetlandy" then what others go for and the school districts aren't that great. It's also not real convenient to any employment centers. All of that adds up to cheap when it comes to housing. You can literally find a ton of houses 20 minutes or so from the beach for not a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia