Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the subforum be changed to "Southern New Jersey"?
Yes, with the counties of Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland included. 50 73.53%
Yes, but only include the current counties in the subforum. 5 7.35%
Yes, but I think there should be a different mix of counties (please explain). 5 7.35%
No, keep it exactly how it is. 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM

461 posts, read 912,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While that's true, there is definitely a difference between the 'north shore' and 'south shore'. Ocean County is a very different place then Atlantic and Cape May. Most South Jersey people talk about 'the shore' as being a place in Atlantic or Cape May (Atlantic City, Wildwood, Ocean City, Cape May, Stone Harbor, Avalon, etc.). People from North Jersey tend to talk about 'the shore' as being somewhere in Ocean County (LBI, Seaside Heights, Point Pleasant, etc.) or even further north then that with Belmar, Asbury Park and Long Branch.

FWIW, I think LBI has a little overlap in terms of being popular with both the South and North Jersey crowd, but it is more or less dominated by North Jersey folks and most of them consider anything further south to pretty much be non-existent with the exception of AC.
I'm not from North Jersey, but when people say the shore, I think of Seaside and the beaches around there. I never think of Cape May and Wildwood and the like. I usually just call them as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,370,166 times
Are you from South Jersey?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Are you from South Jersey?
Yep. Born in Mt. Holly, raised in Browns Mills and lived in Ocean County for a while. Then back here in Browns Mills.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,370,166 times
Well that is pretty much the northernmost point of South Jersey. Even still, you are probably in the minority of South Jerseyans if "the shore" does not mean Atlantic or Cape May County to you

Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,885,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
I'm not from North Jersey, but when people say the shore, I think of Seaside and the beaches around there. I never think of Cape May and Wildwood and the like. I usually just call them as it is.
Whaaaaaat haha.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Whaaaaaat haha.
lol It's just what everyone in my area considers the shore.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,776,192 times
Quote:
I get that, most people I know in that area consider Seaside the shore, because it is the quickest and most direct drive for them. That doesn't change the fact that area of the shore is heavily slanted to North Jersey folks. The bulk of South Jersey, including most of Burlington County, considers Atlantic and Cape May Counties to be the "shore". I sort of see LBI as the "blending" point between the North and South Jersey shore.

Just an update...I kicked this up the chain and heard that it went to the Administrator for consideration. I haven't heard anything since then, but they do seem to be working on reorganizing the forums a bit, so who knows. I'll wait a little longer and then ask again, I don't want to be a pest about it.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM

9,399 posts, read 13,054,771 times
Quote:
The shore points span from Cape May to Sandy Hook. I may seldom venture North of Atlantic City, but that doesn't mean everything from Brigantine on up falls outside the general category.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 562 times
It needs to be classified somewhere.
I spent most of my life traveling here and yes, living here.
The internet does not know the official classification and it makes filtering places less complicated.
Upper South Jersey. I'm not from the shore but there is alot of sand in Browns Mills, but there is clay as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia