Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM

37,972 posts, read 42,401,429 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'm in the running for a job based in Woodstown. I'm not sure if I'll get it, but just in case I do, I'd like to know where to begin looking for a place to live. I would be relocating metro Atlanta. I'm a single Black guy, early 30's, no kids and would like a 30-minute commute max. Would like a 1 BR rental upwards of $650ish/month in a relatively safe neighborhood with some diversity and liveliness either in S. Jersey, Wilmington, or Philly/PA suburbs of Philly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,920,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hey guys. I'm in the running for a job based in Woodstown. I'm not sure if I'll get it, but just in case I do, I'd like to know where to begin looking for a place to live. I would be relocating metro Atlanta. I'm a single Black guy, early 30's, no kids and would like a 30-minute commute max. Would like a 1 BR rental upwards of $650ish/month in a relatively safe neighborhood with some diversity and liveliness either in S. Jersey, Wilmington, or Philly/PA suburbs of Philly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you want urban, look in Wilmington. The biggest thing in Woodstown is the Cowtown Rodeo & flea market.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Anyone have any information on the southwest 'burbs of Philly? The neighborhood can be a little suburban as long as it has access to a nice array of amenities and offers relatively easy access to Woodstown and Philly.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Anyone have any information on the southwest 'burbs of Philly? The neighborhood can be a little suburban as long as it has access to a nice array of amenities and offers relatively easy access to Woodstown and Philly.
You asked for a 30 minute commute, maximum. Cherry Hill gets you easy access to 295, Center City Philly, & nightlife in South Jersey. No way is it 30 minutes to Woodstown. Southwestern suburbs are not reasonably commuteable to Woodstown.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,973,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You asked for a 30 minute commute, maximum. Cherry Hill gets you easy access to 295, Center City Philly, & nightlife in South Jersey. No way is it 30 minutes to Woodstown. Southwestern suburbs are not reasonably commuteable to Woodstown.
295 is correct. Woodstown to Philly is almost an hour one way

Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,904,807 times
The thing is, your budget on housing is tight so you are going to be hard pressed to find a safe more urban area in which to live. On top of that if you go into PA or DE you are going to need to pay the tolls on the bridges to get to Woodstown.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge is $4 a day. You can reduce this to $1 a day if you have EZ Pass and sign up for the commuter plan discounts. So, that bridge toll would cost you around $20-$25 a month.

The Commodore Barry Bridge which is the one you would take from the PA suburbs to get to Woodstown is going to cost you $5 a day with no frequent commuter discount. That works out to $100-$125 a month.

Given that cost you basically have a choice between Delaware and South Jersey to stay within a 30 minute commute. The only place you are going to get a 1BR for that price in South Jersey is going to be in the more rural areas of Salem County or in Paulsboro, Woodbury or the Vineland area. I'm not sure on what rents are in the Wilmington area, but they tend to be less then in NJ.

Speaking of Jersey, you obviously don't want Salem county as it's going to be too rural for you. I would scratch Paulsboro off the list as there aren't many rentals and it's a little iffy in a lot of ways. Woodbury may actually be a good option for you. It's the county seat, has an actual downtown, is diverse and has a lot of rental options. It's not as safe as some of the suburban communities, but it's not exactly dangerous either. From there you would be around a 20-30 minute commute to Woodstown.

The Vineland area can be a mixed bag. There are sections that are developed and there are sections that aren't. There are sections that have high crime and sections where there is no crime. There is a decent variety of rentals and you could get to Woodstown area in around 20-30 minutes. The big hit against Vineland for you is that it's an island with other more developed areas and the city being farther away.

If you really want the urban environment, then I think your only real option would be Wilmington and northern Delaware. If you are looking in Jersey I think your best balance based on your budget is going to be Woodbury.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Now that others have posted, your OP is like someone coming on the Charlotte board asking for what you asked for, in or near Charlotte, with a job in Boiling Springs, NC.

Look at where Woodstown is on a map. Wilmington gets you closest to what you want, within your requested commute time. Woodbury gets you the South Jersey equivalent of Shelby.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia